• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Upside Down Ar 2ax

parisphoto

Active Member
I assume that when the speakers are vertical, the woofer should be on the bottom.
In this orientation, the labeling of the rear speaker leads is upside down.
How come?
 
Register to hide this ad
Wacky. I have 3 speakers, all the same. After all the supposed care they put into designing, measuring, etc., this is how they presented their product ?
 
Unless it was all taken apart later, that does seem odd. But weren't some speakers built that way for studio monitor use?
 
Why are we doing this?

It doesn't matter how they are oriented, AR2ax is not mirror-imaged and can never be "right."

Yes, they cared about presentation -- they glued the grilles on.... :thmbsp:
 
That's odd -- I've owned and seen many of the 2 series, and I don't believe I've ever seen that. Perhaps they were recapped or the pots cleaned, and they took the masonite panels out (why would they do that is a good question), and didn't figure out the orientation correctly when they put them back in.
I don't think the studio monitor idea is likely correct -- were ARs often used that way? I doubt it. Everything about AR literature and the sound actually militates for listening in a more normal mode in a more normal room. Maybe m wrong, but the use of ARs as studio monitors strikes me as a rarity.
I also doubt the cheap and careless labor explanation. Both Ed Vilchur and Henry Kloss cared a good deal about their work force. AR ads featured production workers, and both set up as generous benefits as they could afford -- not because they were bleeding heart liberals but because they thought a happy committed workforce was likely to make better products and show more initiative. And they could afford it -- the companies sold so many speakers that they could worry about quality and employee morale. I think at one point AR made something like a third of the speakers sold in the US. And when Kloss lost control of Advent (because of expenditures on the large screen TV), one of the issues that the bean counters who replaced him beefed about was the on site day care -- which of course allowed his workers to be reliably there when he needed them.
And what happened when the cost cutters came in -- the loss of a really remarkable reputation for value for dollar. And a steady downhill slide into indistinguishable product -- perfectly fine, maybe, but competing with every other average product on the market, rather than dramatically better. What a great marketing plan....
 
Excuse me. I was caught up in the minutia, and was curious. That's why we're doing this.
Thanks to all who took the time to respond.
 
I assume that when the speakers are vertical, the woofer should be on the bottom.
In this orientation, the labeling of the rear speaker leads is upside down.
How come?

Actually the label should be sideways if the speaker is placed vertically. I've never seen an AR system of that era that didn't have the label oriented for horizontal placement. Most unusual...can you post a picture?
 
O.K., they DID think it through and decided most people would be connecting the wires while leaning over them, then.... ;)
 
The simple and most likely answer is, that the guy stapling the labels on screwed up and put 'em on upside down. I would bet it was one of the last things they did before the boxed them up...
 
Here are some pics of one speaker. All three have the same orientation. It looks like one box was opened at one time, but the other two were unmolested.
 

Attachments

  • VERTICAL SPEAKER TO POST.jpg
    VERTICAL SPEAKER TO POST.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 47
  • HORIZONTAL SPEAKER TO POST.jpg
    HORIZONTAL SPEAKER TO POST.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 45
If you put the woofer to the other side, it is correct. That's my point about mirror-imaging.
 
Excuse me. I was caught up in the minutia, and was curious. That's why we're doing this.
Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

You shouldn't have to excuse yourself. Very valid question. Could be the guys at the AR plant were out partying the night before as well.

I love my AR 2AX's and they sure sound "right" to me. Not a lot of speakers during this time cared about geometry - neither did mos JBL's.

So here's the bigger quesion - how do they sound?
 
Back
Top Bottom