• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Van Alstine 1 and 2 amplifier

bobsabuilder

New Member
I have a opportunity to purchas a Van Alstine pre amp 1 and a power amp 2. I was wondering if these are good units, and what value would they have.

Thanks bob
 
Register to hide this ad
If the price is fair I would go for it. Van Alstine makes great gear that is very under-rated (in my view) The company is in business and does upgrades as well. Perhaps some other Van Alstine fans will chip on the value
 
If functional, and if price is reasonable, go for it.

I have a Van Alstine preamp, I think the one you are looking at. Wonderful unit when functional, and as noted above, much better than normal.

If what you are looking at is like mine, the only concern is that the boards holding discrete components were buried in epoxy. If the unit has a problem, then fixing the problem becomes a nightmare. You can't test what is wrong until you dig. It can get really messy.

Check with Van Alstine to find out if these are the epoxied units. Check with the seller to see how the units are currently performing.
 
Van Alstine is excellent gear and a great bang for buck. He sells online which helps keep cost down. You can always speak with Him over at audio circle.com where he has his forum. His gear has a large following and is always given very good reviews in absolute sound magazine.
 
attachment.php


So here's my Van Alstine . It's the modified Dynaco pre amp but it's missing the face plate . I got it off of CL cheap . Yea it looks ugly but man does it sound great !! This one is going to the grave with me...I like it THAT much . So put me down for a yes on getting yourself one .
Rudy .
 
I have no doubt it sounds good. I like his FET/Tube designs. IF he sold his stuff in stores, it would cost lots more.
 
Frank Van Alstine is a stand-up guy who will be happy to talk to you on the phone. That said, the original Van Alstine units are from the late 1970s if I recall correctly. He will probably tell you that you would be better off with newer units and I would probably agree.

FVA started in the modification business working for Jensen's Stereo Shop. I believe the Van Alstine brand was short-lived due to issues with his business partners, according to Frank's newsletter. The current stuff is sold under the brand "Audio By Van Alstine" or AVA. If you get a bargain and the stuff works well, you can probably flip it to a collector. Call Frank! Good luck...

Please post your results!
 
I third the motion. I had his SuperPAS3x and loved it. Other than my C28, it was the longest owned preamp. He does not run the tube hard, mine were originals from when he made it.

He supports his products and in my case the preamp I bought was used and he knew its history as soon as I mentioned the seller's name including that the preamp had not been upgraded interest phono section that he had made improvements on. It is one of only a few pieces I regret ever selling.

I've never read any comments from anyone who had his units or bought his kits who were other than very pleased and happy and probably why they almost never come up for sale. He has been in continuous business for decades so not a fly by night company.

When he had Jensen, I bought my first ARC amps that blew up and he did over the counter exchange on the 1st and then on the 2nd offered a refund. I exchanged it for my SAE MkI preamp instead so though I drove a hard day each time, I came away a happy customer.
 
Back
Top Bottom