• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage Entry Level Options

The estimated delivery is Wednesday so I would like to order the cartridge tonight. What is the general consensus on the AT cn5625al? Cheaper than the 95 and has more consistent reviews by people who have the pl-12d
 
IMO that Empire is fine. Changing its stylus is very easy and they have flip-down guards to protect the needle, just don't forget to put it up when you play a record. On one of my tables I have a little reminder tag I stick on (like those preflight aircraft tags) when I'm done to remind me because the cart is hidden in that headshell.

You can use that template to check to see that the cart is aligned when you receive the table.
 
The estimated delivery is Wednesday so I would like to order the cartridge tonight. What is the general consensus on the AT cn5625al? Cheaper than the 95 and has more consistent reviews by people who have the pl-12d

Though I respect cdk99's opinion, I'd suggest thinking long term. The AT95E is a cartridge that has a loyal following and plenty of factory and aftermarket upgrades that give you years or more to enjoy it. Unfortunately, the empire, although probably a nice cartridge, is already obsolete. Only the aftermarket stylus is readily available, and only in that one version - not much potential to upgrade in the future.

I realize your budget has probably stretched pretty thin by now considering when you started this thread you didn't realize there were additional accessories that you'd need, but seriously, if you can stretch it into getting that AT95 now, it will carry you through original styli, and plenty of great aftermarket upgrades for the future - short term it may sting a little budget wise, but once you hear it, and see how it will last you long term I think you'll see it was worth it.

Regardless of which one you choose, when you are ready to set everything up, let us know, and we'll help get you set and aligned properly.
 
Remember that the cartridge and stylus are the thing that actually reads the music from the record. Generally, it's better to opt going up than down. This is the decision that will make the biggest difference.


AT95E Reviews: 961 @ 4.6
Elliptical and upgradable all the way to Shibata

887AD137-C1B2-468C-A4F3-A2440BE81C61_zps4dt19qrb.png



CN5625AL: Reviews 57 @ 4.5
Conical looks to be the only option.

1E7204D4-107A-438C-95C1-FEAFD0D28023_zpsuowmzcuc.png


One of those 961 5-star reviews is my own purchase of one.
 
Something else to consider:

The seller of your table seemed to be pretty honest and legit with lots of good feedback - that's a plus. He did state in the listing that the stylus on the empire was used, but still in good condition, and you may be able to take his word for it.

You may consider holding off on the cartridge/stylus purchase at the moment to see how that Elliptical Empire sounds. If you like the sound, consider using it for a while, and either getting a replacement stylus for it, or replacing the cartridge with an AT later.

Google "the difference between conical and elliptical styli"

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/r...d70c7d46a2803/a_guide_to_phono_cartridges.pdf

And keep in mind that the AT you've found is only available as conical, whereas the AT95E starts at elliptical and various other diamond cuts and cantilevers are available for it.
 
I think I will hold off on the cartridge upgrade for now and see what the empire looks/sounds like.

Sounds like a very reasonable plan, and I know I was leaning away from that just a few posts back. But the more I consider it, the more it seems like not a bad plan after all. At least this way you'll get to hear what an improvement in sound an elliptical stylus makes.

This thread right here:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/anyone-else-running-vintage-empire-carts.468129/
is where you can find plenty of people who are familiar with Empire.

Ok, so remember, when your turntable arrives, you'll definitely want to check the alignment of that stylus/cartridge that's on there. Have you downloaded the protractor from vinylengine yet?
 
Last edited:
The table arrived, the deck is semi dislodged from the wood frame, not sure if that was intended by the buyer or not.

Ok, right now, start posting pics if you can so we can see if it's something normal and can be reset. It's a suspended plinth from the base.

pioneer_pl-12d_belt-drive_turntable.jpg


Let's have a look
 
CN5625AL can also be upgraded all the way to Shibata. There are elliptical, HE, ViVidline and Shibata all available as well as 78. You just have to know that it's another name for the AT3600 and the doors open up pretty wide.

.4 x .7 Elliptical and all flavors of conical and 78:

http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/cata...ameNeedles&MfgName=Audio+Technica&Categories=

.3 x .7 Ellipitcal:
http://www.turntableneedles.com/Needle-211-DE-copy_p_1059.html

http://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATN3600DLXSE.html

Hyperelliptical:
http://www.turntableneedles.com/ATN...ca-AT3600-etc--our-Needle-211-DHE_p_3818.html

Vividline:
http://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATN3600DLXHE.html

Jico Shibata:
http://www.turntableneedles.com/Aud...hibata-Stylus--our-Needle-211-DSH_p_3718.html

In fact, it looks like the CN5625AL is an extremely versatile cartridge and stylus system that allows a very wide range of stylus choices for anyone who's got one. And they're all dirt cheap. The cartridge itself, sounds incredible, really.

I was kind of surprised that there was no SAS option ever offered. But, apparently, SAS for the time being is discontinued for everything now anyway.

Thank you for your insight into this cartridge. I guess searching by a different number would produce different results. LOL
 
I figured it out, the deck has 3 little screws that need to be in and attached to wood on the underneath side which I guess broke loos during the shipping. I have the screws and am properly securing the deck now.
 
Back
Top Bottom