• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage Gear vs Modern Gear. Is new any better than old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went from comparing 6000 amplifiers to 100's of thousands of dollars, of course there is a difference but it seems unlikely that there is a value argument involved.

In vehicle terms were were comparing old muscle cars to new muscle cars but now we are adding in custom hand built cars like a Mclaren F1 ( 970,000) Top speed 243 MPH ) Awesome vehicle but way way out of reach.
 
Value just like anything else is in the eye of the beholder. What you may value, someone else does not. The Mclaren is considered a real manufactured auto, even though they only produce a few of them.

As far as 100's of thousand dollars - someone asked in the thread about what to listen to on the high end. THAT IS THE HIGH END>

Yes, certainly that is one of the definitions of value.
You would be hard pressed to find very many people in this world that be willing to argue that the added cost is equal to the added performance, they would be more likely to say they simply wanted the best available product at any price.
Thus the definition of value I was indicating was one of a worth comparison, and that was the intent of my comment.
 
One of the things that bothers me the most about this site is all the posters stating that anything more than they would spend is not only ridiculous but a waste of money. I suspect they would not say the say the same thing if they were confronted with a Mustang Ferrari comparison.
 
Honestly I don't see a valid debate here, a good amp from the past will sound almost as good as a upper end amp of today, and that leaves the defining difference being price. A nice looking vintage amp that others equate with as upper end quality from the past, will be of good enough quality in both performance, and looks. For most people that extra difference that a really high priced new upper end amp, will not justify the extra money. Within the price range of a large majority the rest of the components that would warrant the difference an amp in the 6 thousand dollar or above range wouldn't matter anyway. Being in the upper 80% is well worth the savings of being in the upper 90% or higher. At least that is my take.

I should add all this is out the window if I was a CEO making well into the 7 digit yearly wage bracket.
 
Last edited:
Speaking of audio/car analogies, I think it's kind of silly to own a high end car like a Ferrari, especially if daily driving in traffic congested cities like Los Angeles.
Driving around in 1st and 2nd gear all day long seems rather ridiculous if not a pain in the ass.
More power to highenders.
 
Speaking of audio/car analogies, I think it's kind of silly to own a high end car like a Ferrari, especially if daily driving in traffic congested cities like Los Angeles.
Driving around in 1st and 2nd gear all day long seems rather ridiculous if not a pain in the ass.
More power to highenders.

but have you driven one? i think thats what most people are saying here. people are commenting on things they have no idea about.

you havent driven a ferrari in traffic but you think it would suck. maybe its the most pleasurable experience in the world. i wouldnt know so i dont comment
 
but have you driven one? i think thats what most people are saying here. people are commenting on things they have no idea about.

you havent driven a ferrari in traffic but you think it would suck. maybe its the most pleasurable experience in the world. i wouldnt know so i dont comment
If driving a Ferrari in 1st gear "is the most pleasurable experience in the world", I say go for it;)
 
If driving a Ferrari in 1st gear "is the most pleasurable experience in the world", I say go for it;)

Just imagine for a moment it is...

I would feel like a moron going to a Ferrari forum and telling owners of the cars, that commute every day in them, that they don't know what they are talking about because I read some stuff and watched a few episodes of top gear and car and driver...

Just sayin
 
Last edited:
Just imagine for a moment it is...

I would feel like a moron going to a Ferrari forum and telling owners of the cars that commute every day in them that they don't know what they are talking about because I read some stuff and watched a few episodes of top gear and car and driver...

Just sayin
And as well you should.
 
If an older Ferrari was 1/10 the price would it be any less fun? Mindful of the fact the new Ferrari is much faster and handles better?

:idea:
 
If I were wealthy enough to buy a Ferrari I personally would not be sitting in El Lay traffic.
By the same token, if I were well off I'd be too busy with other more worldly pursuits than bothering with an $uber$ audio system.
But that's just me.
 
The only point I was making is none of us have driven one so can we really comment?
Of course someone can't call a Ferrari($$$audio) crap unless one has the experience.
But I think it's nonsense that one can't have an opinion about the desirability, practicality, or sensibility of owning such things.
People can spend as they choose regardless how wise a choice:)
 
WOW this went way off topic and the rails that where the guid lines of what the OP wanted to know.

I divert back to my first post #4

Well really if members can not comment unless they have actually owned said equipment in the $6000 per component range of amps, preamps, and speakers, it would be a good start, but it ain't going to happen.

Oh and I like stomping all over mini vans and econo cars in my commute.
 
I live here by Lake Michigan in the Indiana Dunes.
There are many boats here.

Some are beautiful yachts, some are really nice 25-30 footers, direct drive IO, high performance etc.
There are also 25 foot and smaller fishing boats and some of those people can really fish better than the people with the big expensive rigs.
Some people with the yachts may only run 20 hours in one season, some others with more average rigs run 100 hours which is a lot.

They all enjoy what they have and make the best out of it.
The people with the yachts are simply "the people with the yachts".
They have the big system, the big deal so to speak and that's good.
There will always be the people that are jealous and say negative things about the beautiful yachts but who cares!
The people with the yachts enjoy the yachts!!!!
The people with the average boats enjoy the average boats!!!!!!

There are people down the road and on the beach that have million dollar homes and there are people that have more average homes.
Most of us share a common pride in our community and of course there are those that elevate themselves to feel as on a higher level.
Again, human nature.

I guess my point is that in the world there will always be people who have more than others including sound systems.

Doing the best with what we have at the time and being happy for others who have more is a virtue don't you think?
I enjoy hearing another persons system that is better than mine, it makes me strive for more, that's human nature.
Unfortunately it is also human nature to criticize others and exalt oneself, we have been doing that since we were kids and some people just don't grow up, others do.

I myself have been misunderstood, misquoted, called names here just for a few of my opinions that were simply opinions but overall the good much outweighs the bad.

If that doesn't make sense sorry, I'm spending too much time here to try to explain in greater detail!

Please don't reply saying Stevo you make no sense, we are talking about stereos here.

Yes, I'm talking about the great equalizer, it's called we are all people and we should all treat each other with respect regardless of who we are or what we have.

Have a great evening folks!

Stevo
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom