• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage Sony Turntables

Hello Gang. I'm new to the Forum but I hope it's OK to ask a question right out of the gate. It pertains to my early 80s vintage Sony PS-X600 table:

I'm experiencing a strange phenom that I've never encountered with any component before. I pulled the turntable out of storage after something like 20 + years. The sound coming out of the table when connected to my amp (phono-in plugs) is behaving quite strangely. It starts out fine, then after like 2 or 3 seconds the music starts to fade away and ALL the treble seems to get sucked out of it. It gets VERY muffled (almost like dirt on the stylus) then cuts out completely. Only to then fade back up and after some seconds (unpredictable lengths of time 4 seconds - 24 seconds) to full bright excellent sound. Also in this time the two different channels fade in and out at random intervals.

To be clear: this isn't like a loose connection. I have moved the phono cables all around and bent them here and there as this mystery affliction is taking place. Nothing I do re: moving around the cables seems to affect this fade in /fade out muffled situation.

Trouble shooting:

1. Original cart + stylus were present during this problem. --> replaced with a new M2 Orofon cart + stylus and STILL have problem (though the music sounds WAY better now when it *does* play correctly -for a few seconds or through just one of my channels).

2. Amp is a 4 yr old Denon AVR-S650H. Never used the phono input before but I doubt that's the problem because I did run a different table into those plugs and it worked fine (aside from ground loop issues).

HELP!
I like this table and would love to give it a second life in my new living room set up. But it's hard to find any turntable repair shops in the SF Bay Area (I know, I know!) so I am throwing this out to "The Team" to see if you have any suggestions/experience with something like this?

Thanks for any advice
_Lippy
 
Hello Gang. I'm new to the Forum but I hope it's OK to ask a question right out of the gate. It pertains to my early 80s vintage Sony PS-X600 table:

I'm experiencing a strange phenom that I've never encountered with any component before. I pulled the turntable out of storage after something like 20 + years. The sound coming out of the table when connected to my amp (phono-in plugs) is behaving quite strangely. It starts out fine,

Duplicate post is duplicate.


Don´t do duplicate posts.
 
I have a x600 and wondered how the x800 compares?
The best way to do a comparison would be to have the two turntables connected to the same (pre)amp/speaker set up with identical cartridges mounted but unfortunately, I cannot arrange to do that.

About all I can say is that I am equally pleased with their performance on separate systems and can't say either sounds significantly better than the other. If I had to get rid of one or the other, I would probably let the X800 go just because of its insane complexity and difficulty getting it serviced if needed.

That said, both the X600 and X800 have been very reliable for me. I have not had to do any work on the X600. On the X800, I did have to replace the belts, replace the disc size sensor lamp and I tweaked the stylus set down point slightly. It would probably benefit from a professional calibration but I haven't felt the need to spend that kind of time or money on it yet.

Not sure if this helps but unless you really want to try out the linear tracking X800, the X600 is hard to beat!
 
Last edited:
The PS-LX510 was a full-auto linear-tracking model, I purchased the accessory remote control kit for it in 1986, I could Start, Stop and cue the TT with my remote control. About three years ago, I got back into my record collection and decided that the one thing I didn't like about the LX510, was the "THUDD" that was now audible in a 7.1 surround system [with a powered sub-woofer]. The "THUDD" was a resonance that occurred whenever the stepper motor of the linear tonearm moved, to keep up with the groove keeping the stylus in motion. I then searched for a Sony, with a pivotal arm, that was compatible with my old RM-44 remote kit. I found the PS-LX5, made in 1981, BACK when I first got the LX2. This model has exceed all of my expectations. It has the same Wow-and-Flutter, Signal-to-Noise Ratio [Rumble] and Speed accuracy specs of all the models above it made by Sony in 1981, including the PS-X800[.025%/-78dB/>.0003%-respectively].
The PS-LX510 is still in operation, handed down to my son in "like-new" condition, re-lubed and with a new tonearm belt, he doesn't experience the "THUDD" that I did, his is a 2-channel system, with no subwoofer.

In my office, I have a rebuilt Sony PS-350 [an alternate model of the PS-LX3, the PS-350 was sold in a pre-packaged system with a matched Receiver and Loudspeakers, it doesn't have synchro-record and remote control jacks of the PS-LX3 or PS-LX5].
I rebuilt the PS-350 with a motor/board assembly from a Sony PS-LX5.
When I got this turntable, I was able to get all of the auto functions performing perfectly [by removing all the -hardened/ear wax- factory applied brown lithium grease and replacing it with Super Lube -PTFE/Teflon grease], after trying for a week, the speed couldn't be stabilized so I bought a replacement motor for the PS-350 and chose a used motor from a PS-LX5. Though the circuit boards are different, the replacement dropped right in! This turntable is now outperforming it's original design. By replacing the faulty original motor with one from a PS-LX5, Quartz-Lock and Electromagnetic Braking are new features, not present in the original PS-350. The servo "locked" light now comes on and is steady, and speed is dead-on. Now, this TT is virtually the same as my LX5, only lacking the "Quartz Lock", "SPEED" and "REPEAT" indicator Light/LEDs [less "bling"].
View attachment 1511856 View attachment 1511857 View attachment 1511858
I just picked up an lx510 and as soon as I hooked it up I noticed that "thump" about every 14 seconds. Yep, I have a subwoofer in my system... Well, at least now I know what it is! I wonder if a preamp with a low-pass filter might block it?
 
I just picked up an lx510 and as soon as I hooked it up I noticed that "thump" about every 14 seconds. Yep, I have a subwoofer in my system... Well, at least now I know what it is! I wonder if a preamp with a low-pass filter might block it?
Have you lubed the unit per the owner's manual?

Thanks!
 
I hadn't thought of that, but I just looked and the manual says no lubrication is needed. "Lubricated at the factory for the life of the turntable." I ordered a pre-amp with a low-cut filter and I'll see if that takes care of it. It's a very nice looking table in very good condition. I hope that I can make it work in my system. Thanks for the help!
 
I hadn't thought of that, but I just looked and the manual says no lubrication is needed. "Lubricated at the factory for the life of the turntable." I ordered a pre-amp with a low-cut filter and I'll see if that takes care of it. It's a very nice looking table in very good condition. I hope that I can make it work in my system. Thanks for the help!
"The life of the turntable" could possibly mean less than 40 years. ;) Though, if those are sealed bearings on the motor and spindle, I would not try to oil or open them.

The horizontal shaft looks clean and undamaged. Right?

Good luck!
 
Well... It looks "oily". I'd say it has excessive lubrication. The guy I bought it from said that he had just changed the tonearm drive belt. Guess I'd better take a closer look at what he did. I did manage to repair my sld202 from all the sticky goo and frozen solenoid return actuator by following a youtube video, but I'm certainly not a turntable service guy. Need to look for the service manual on vinylengine. Thanks again!
 
Well... It looks "oily". I'd say it has excessive lubrication. The guy I bought it from said that he had just changed the tonearm drive belt. Guess I'd better take a closer look at what he did. I did manage to repair my sld202 from all the sticky goo and frozen solenoid return actuator by following a youtube video, but I'm certainly not a turntable service guy. Need to look for the service manual on vinylengine. Thanks again!
He shouldn't have tried to oil a "do-not-oil-bearing" surface. All that will do is attract dust and add little lubrication to the bearings.

:(
 
I cleaned up the excess oil and took a look inside. Everything looks okay. As you said, the turntable is 40 years old and maybe this is just age. I have ordered a pre-amp with a switchable low-cut filter which should be here next week. Hopefully that will take care of the thumping noise without adversely affecting the overall sound quality. Thank you for your input and advice!
 
I cleaned up the excess oil and took a look inside. Everything looks okay. As you said, the turntable is 40 years old and maybe this is just age. I have ordered a pre-amp with a switchable low-cut filter which should be here next week. Hopefully that will take care of the thumping noise without adversely affecting the overall sound quality. Thank you for your input and advice!
Yeah, a good overall cleaning and contact cleaner on the connecting surfaces may be all it needs.

Good luck!
 
Well I guess it's a goner, at least for me. Even though the new pre-amp low-cut filter reduced it a great deal, the dreaded thump is still there. And once you know it's there... This was the first linear I've ever owned. Don't know if other makes/models share the same traits as they age but I'm probably going to avoid linears in the future. Thanks again!
 
ba61abce-e4f1-4821-a080-ad27a40a7737.jpg

1970s era 2251. :)

Have I Told You Lately.
Off "Avalon Sunset." Mercury. 359 262-1. Sterling Research Labs pressing. SRC. 1989.
Run-out: 422839 - 262 - 1 A5 - SP STERLING [SRC logo sideways]

15e63e62-6604-449d-bec7-b320627f8856.jpg


1152bd90-eecb-49ef-91fd-86c91d42103f.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom