• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage Stereo Sightings in Movies........

Big Tuna

Too Much Power!
I am thinking what movies are coming to my mind that I have seen any vintage stereo gear in movie scenes.
-I saw a XX50 series Pioneer receiver in 12 Monkeys
-a Marantz 22XX receiver & TT in Gremlins
-a Pioneer or Kenwood Integrated in Coming To America
-a unknown brand big beast silver receiver in Boogie Nights
I'm sure there's lots more so I'll try to report my findings as I watch movies and what I see.

Help me out here, fellas.......
What are the other ones?
 
Register to hide this ad
In howard the Duck, there is stuff all over Beverly's apartment including something with huge meters.
 
I watched "Casino" this morning and there was a couple receivers glowing in the background when Sharon Stone was talking to James Woods on her wedding night.

And there was a reel to reel deck in the living room of her and De Niro's home.

And of course the RTR in "Pulp Fiction" when Travolta picks up Uma
 
Does anyone know the what stereo receiver is on the rack at the bottom of the stairs in I'Carly? It's silver faced and looks like possibly a Pioneer SX-x50 model.
 
In "As Good As It Gets" there is what appears to be a McIntosh set-up behind him when he's at his typewriter. Cool Stuff!!
 
016-1.jpg
 
My Mom was in that movie

In "As Good As It Gets" there is what appears to be a McIntosh set-up behind him when he's at his typewriter. Cool Stuff!!
an extra,she one one of the old ladies @ the bread rack talking when they go into town to buy Ice Cream cones. Diane Keaton is a real nice person,my Mom shared her secret on her soft hands to Diane because she had to know what she was using. Jack is a swell guy too,gave my Mom a Leather jacket with the name of the movie on the back and two years after the movie came out sent my Mom an autographed copy of the script. :thmbsp:
 
This rtr makes a number of appearances in Charlie Kaufman's "Synecdoche New York":

synecdoche.jpg


No idea as to the model, etc...

Edit: Ampex?
 
Last edited:
It's a TV show, not a movie, but...

On "House, MD", the title character has a Sota turntable in his system.
 
This rtr makes a number of appearances in Charlie Kaufman's "Synecdoche New York":

synecdoche.jpg


No idea as to the model, etc...

Edit: Ampex?

Yup...600 series. From when they switched to SS electronics? I like the splicing block fastened to the front, too.
 
Last edited:
In the departed near the end of the movie Matt Damon has a full rack of Mcintosh that he listens to a tape on...
 
The cool scene in 9 1/2 Weeks ,where Kim Basinger stripteases to Joe Cocker's "You Can Leave Your Hat On," starts with Mickey Rourke loading a disc into a Mac CD player.

9+1+2+weeks+you+can+leave+your+hat+on.bmp
 
I recently watched "The Secret In Their Eyes". In several scenes in Benjamin Esposito's house, one can see the original Quad ESL in the background.
 
In the movie coroline and the fantastic mr fox

I don't know how much this counts. But in Coroline when the dad is playing the piano. In the back ground looks like a pioneer RT 707 or something like that. THen in fantastic mr fox. There is portable reel to reel in that.
They seems to show up alot. Even if they are being used or not.

Josh
 
I'm sorry.....what was the question again??
ROFLOL. Good one Duck.

Hey, check out almost any movie with Bruce Willis. I sometimes think HE's the influence on that part. I think almost anything directed by Scorcese, maybe even Tarentino. They seem to be more nostalgic, doing movies around the 60's, 70's, etc.
 
Back
Top Bottom