• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage Stereo Sightings in Movies........

There was quite a noticeable turntable in SHAME, the recent release about a sex:banana: addict:nono: living in an ultramodern Manhattan high-rise. I was too stunned by the audacity, not to mention monotony, of the movie to take note of the manufacturer. I don't even know if it was vintage or new.
 
The cool scene in 9 1/2 Weeks ,where Kim Basinger stripteases to Joe Cocker's "You Can Leave Your Hat On," starts with Mickey Rourke loading a disc into a Mac CD player.

9+1+2+weeks+you+can+leave+your+hat+on.bmp

There was also a R2R in that movie that I was trying to ID.

Not a movie, but in the A-Team episode I watched last night, there was a Pioneer RT-707.
 
The always popular Clockwork Orange turntable.
 

Attachments

  • $(KGrHqR,!l4E4lPkFbKCBOVUO76Feg~~48_1.JPG
    $(KGrHqR,!l4E4lPkFbKCBOVUO76Feg~~48_1.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 60
I have not seen the original (1792) version, however; the plot description seems to be the same.
I think the first movie I saw Jason Statham in was "Snatch". I've liked just about everything he's been in. I'm game for this one, but likely I'll wait till I can watch on Netflix.
 
I think the first movie I saw Jason Statham in was "Snatch". I've liked just about everything he's been in. I'm game for this one, but likely I'll wait till I can watch on Netflix.
Snatch was a blast full of twists and turns. I just saw it recently on Blu-ray. :thmbsp:
 
Resurrecting an old thread.

My little girl was sick today, so I was doing 'dad duty' by keeping her company and watching a couple movies with her. She discovered the old VHS movie pile and selected two movies that we watched, both which I've seen multiple times over the years. And yet.... in all those viewings I never noticed.....

Caddyshack: Lacy Underall stops over at Ty's place. In the background.... a pair of round 'table' type speakers. Looked like Empire Grenadier.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off: In Ferris's bedroom...... a Carver power amp and preamp. (Every high school kid owned Carver...right? ..... lol)
 
Wife and daughter are watching "Crush" while I surf. They both say "did you see that stereo" at the same time.
Rewind and pause for this:

Toshiba%20SA-725%20stereo%20receiver%20(800x345).preview.jpg


ha ha!
 
Couple of oldies

I'd have to screen them again to be sure, but in "Hotel" (1967), Rod Taylor's character takes Catherine Spaak back to his French Quarter apartment in New Orleans, where his system includes a Revox RTR and a Garrard changer. Can't recall what his amplifier was.

And in "Sunday in New York" (1963), Cliff Robertson's character spins some vinyl on a hi-fi that includes what appears to be a V-M 1200-series changer.

Neither flick offered a clear shot of any speakers, sadly.
 
The cool scene in 9 1/2 Weeks ,where Kim Basinger stripteases to Joe Cocker's "You Can Leave Your Hat On," starts with Mickey Rourke loading a disc into a Mac CD player.

9+1+2+weeks+you+can+leave+your+hat+on.bmp

Wow nice pair of push-pull 4PR1000A Amperex transmitting tubes.:D
 
I have always got a kick out The Andy Griffith Show in the Sheriff's office you can see the police radio is actually an Hallicrafters S-40A receiver with a desk mic' plugged into the the headphone jack.
 
In the George G Scott movie The Changling, their listening to an Akai open reel recorder.

When I was watching the Roger Moore movie Live and Let Die, there are some quad Panasonic open reel recorders. Kapat Kotto the villain is transcribing to a Sony open reel deck.

In the Beach Boys made for TV movie, Hero's and Villains, there is an Akai quad open reel deck.
 
Elemantary

caught an episode the other night and Holmes was using McIntosh equipment.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom