• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Volcano eruption in Iceland

Register to hide this ad
Anyone see the program (on Discovery, I think) regarding Yellowstone being essentially the caldera of 600,000 year old supervolcano eruption. Hope that baby doesn't let go any time soon.
 
Another fissure has opened up close to the initial one.
 
Last edited:
My step-dottir is freaking out..The last time these fissures erupted the near-by volcano Katla erupted with enough airborne ash to change global weather patterns and toxic gases that killed in the British isles..:yes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katla
 
Last edited:
Do I remember a volcano erupting somewhere in this part of the world and melting a lot of ice, causing massive flooding and taking out a major bridge?
 
Yes. The Grimsvotn caldera volcano under Vatnajokull (Icelands largest glacier) around sept. of 1996
http://www.nat.is/travelguideeng/plofin_grimsvotn_diaries.htm

I went to the flooded area in spring of 1997.We needed a 4 wheel drive to get there.Road had not been completely rebuilt yet.We got up to the point where the flood waters had bursted out from under the glacier. Hundreds of huge blocks of ice were strewn fron the foot of the glacier to the sea. Seven months after the eruption and flood,the chunks of ice were still the size greyhound buses and small houses.This photo was taken near that area as I was walking up to shake the glaciers hand..
 

Attachments

  • vatnajokull.jpg
    vatnajokull.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Anyone see the program (on Discovery, I think) regarding Yellowstone being essentially the caldera of 600,000 year old supervolcano eruption. Hope that baby doesn't let go any time soon.

Actually it erupts every 600,000 yrs. the last time it erupted......600,000 yrs. ago.:worried:
 
A more recent photo. This sucker is really mucking up air travel to and from Europe..
 

Attachments

  • CCFEB6F36819CE9EE7CC60A4AB97.jpg
    CCFEB6F36819CE9EE7CC60A4AB97.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 23
Man, I wish I was over there right now.Besides Audio and electronics my next greatest interest is geology and mineralology.Heres some more awesome pix's

volcanic lightning..Sweet.
 

Attachments

  • volcano1.jpg
    volcano1.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 32
  • volcano2.jpg
    volcano2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 26
  • volcano lightning.jpg
    volcano lightning.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 26
Back
Top Bottom