• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Volcano eruption in Iceland

Man, I wish I was over there right now.Besides Audio and electronics my next greatest interest is geology and mineralology.Heres some more awesome pix's

volcanic lightning..Sweet.

As cool as those pictures are, I'm glad I'm not there. :yes:
 
I bet scientists are monitoring the Katla caldera pretty close in the past few weeks..that first photo is the most compelling image I've ever seen...wow
 
Eyjafjallajokull:
That is actually the name of the glacier where the caldera volcano resides. Rough translation -Eyja (island or isle)-fjall (mountain)-jokull (glacier).
Can you pronounce it? Correctly? I can..:D The icelandic word for volcano is eldfjall--fire mountain..
I've been married to and icelander for 15 years next month.I can pretty much hold my own at speaking Icelandic-- Best not forget that anniversary-Don't want to get that viking woman pissed at me..:no:
 
Last edited:
pronounce it? not if my life depended upon it.....as a child, I hiked through the Kilauea Iki crater (on portable, elevated walkways atop cooled magma flows, which were moved almost daily) about a year after the 1959 eruption. The flows were still radiating a fair amount of heat, and small, active magma flows were observed by the group from a safe distance. This instilled in me a lifelong fascination with geology, volcanology, and plate tectonics. How anyone could not be completely fascinated by the study of these and all other aspects of the physical universe that surrounds us is lost on me
 
Last edited:
Interesting slideshow and photographs, Av.

I read where the eruption could last a year.

The last erupton of this volcano went on for about 13 months on and off..And also triggered the eruption of the nearby Katla volcano as well.
 
Last I heard the ash cloud will reach Canada pretty soon. I kid you not, this thing will affect the whole planet.

As opposed to bringing on spring, this thing could take away summer. Yikes. It's like a big parasol covering the northern hemisphere. Beautiful pictures, though. Some of the most humbling shots I've ever seen.
 
Our company had 11 folks that were stuck across the pond, who just returned. They said it reminded them of 911, nobody in the airports but passengers and security. They will celebrate their own annual 'ash wednesday' in the future.

European airports are getting back into normal ops (more or less). Now I hear the Iceland airports are being affected from a change in the wind patterns.
 
:ntwrthy: natgeo...nothing short of brilliant, this show...it airs again tonight at 11 pm eastern, and again at 10 am Sunday morning...a must see, fire up the DVR!
 
awe inspiring, to put it mildly..and natgeo had the whole event wired..fully equipped film crews on the ground, cooperation with local/govt officials, cameras onboard coast guard scientific aircraft....the world would be a much poorer place without these people
 
Back
Top Bottom