• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

WALPOLE, MA - new location for the (air conditioned) New England SweatFest!!

We should have some fun comparing speakers up in the second floor sound chamber!
 
I regret to say this date is tentative. I'll confirm or cancel in the next 7-10 days.

Frank
Oh, I really hope it can still be a go. The Clinton AK Fests are some of the best things all year. (I partially planned my summer around it.)
 
Any of our techs going to this work on car radios? The stock head unit on my '94 Jeep has been acting up for the better part of a year. I assume it's bad caps or something similar but tearing into those little boxes isn't my thing.
 
Any of our techs going to this work on car radios? The stock head unit on my '94 Jeep has been acting up for the better part of a year. I assume it's bad caps or something similar but tearing into those little boxes isn't my thing.

define "acting up"
 
Often totally dead, sometimes only the clock works, sometimes only segments of the clock works, sometimes the radio goes on. I don't think it's a loose connection but I can't be sure.

A lot of times in OEM radios, there's a "ribbon" of wires that connects the face plate to all of the functionality on the main board. With time, and heat, these ribbons can peel away from their harnesses and provide inconsistent results like that. Common on older Saab radios and dash displays. I don't know about Jeeps specifically, but could be a cheap fix. Worth a shot.
 
Frank, I hope that all is OK with you. The AK events at your place are fantastic but we all know that putting these on is a lot of work for you and your colleagues there. If the July event needs to be canceled or delayed, it will be missed but please do what you need to do. And thanks for all that you do for so many of us. --Dan
 
Any of our techs going to this work on car radios? The stock head unit on my '94 Jeep has been acting up for the better part of a year. I assume it's bad caps or something similar but tearing into those little boxes isn't my thing.
Well, I owned a car stereo business for 15 years.
Often these kinds of problems can be attributed to cracked solder joints.
You'll need to pull it out of the dash and, while still connected twist it and rap on it and see if it starts working.
Likely you can pull the bottom plate and examine the PCB for cracks.
 
All

I am trying to secure an alternative location in Walpole, MA in the event Frank's place is unavailable.

Stay tuned...
 
OK,

If Frank's space is unavailable, I have secured and alternative location in downtown Walpole, MA.

The only catches are...(1) the location is untested, and (2) we'd have to each sign a liability waiver. (So, if you electrocute yourself, or trip and fall you, won't sue the building owner; if you set the building on fire you are responsible, etc.)

If folks are OK with this, and if Frank cannot accommodate us at his place, then I'll put things in motion.

We'd be on the first floor, there's a 6k square foot office area (air conditioned!), and then we could have access to a rear (very RAW) warehouse space with 18 ft ceilings. There'd be enough room to have maybe 6 or so large listening areas in the office space for tables and food. The warehouse space would be the best place for "swap meet" activities and is about 25k square feet in size.

It's all safe, vacant, and comes with plenty of parking.


Frank, let me know if this alleviates some pressure on you!!
 
EDIT: Actually, on reflection this is a great deal. I say go for it and consider me the backup.
I'll admit selfishness here, it would be a treat to attend as a guest for a change :)

Thanks to Baco for stepping up!

END EDIT:



I don't have any pressure, it's just that Peter may have obligations on that date.
Normally I get a call and can verbally confirm the date is OK, didn't happen this time.
To tell the truth it sounds like a good deal. I don't sign waivers period, but it sounds like a great space. More convenient for many of you as well.
I'll know Peter's situation in a couple of days, but be assured my ego is not invested in this; if the collective good is served best, go for it!

Frank
 
Last edited:
Yes, situation fluid but the latest news can be found in this thread. Jim will update (just a guess, but a good one).

Baco's offer is a good one. My suggestion is the group take him up on it, with me as a backup.

Frank
 
Back
Top Bottom