• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

wanna see how pissed someone will get if you dont buy something from them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdwk

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
So I lost an auction and the seller contacted me and said he wanted to sell to me because the bidder who won didnt read the auction and was international on a no international shipping auction. he asked for a deposit he seemed too into the deposit part and not so much interested in the sale. I dont feel good about that because sending a deposit to an email address through paypal costs more than that to try and get it back, I tell him this...I just get the strange feeling that I should not show up with a big amount of money in my pocket so I didnt show up to get it because he was sort of applying pressure and I didnt want to be confrontational and I really just wanted to let it drop. I admit I just let it drop.....ususally someone will just relist and item and be done with it, here's what I get in my email:

As I figured, no deposit, no commitment to purchase. Thanks for renewing my faith in humanity. Every time I extend even the most custodial hospitality to a maggot like you, it is so very scripted. No call, no show, no "sorry I don't want it"..... no ****ing nothing. I told you I was coming back from the river early, specifically to accommodate you, and you ****ing knew that. There is no depth to the contempt felt for such a spineless piece of ****. Now let's review: in 30 minutes I can know everything about your ass. In 3 hours I can be on your doorstep. Don't respond with some glib, self extricating account of how your commitment to travel to my home was somehow tainted by your ****ing paranoia. Do yourself a favor and forget you ever talked to me, cause if I start my research and do what I do for a living, you will not enjoy the outcome.

do you think he overreacted?
 
Register to hide this ad
So I lost an auction and the seller contacted me and said he wanted to sell to me because the bidder who won didnt read the auction and was international on a no international shipping auction. he asked for a deposit he seemed too into the deposit part and not so much interested in the sale. I dont feel good about that because sending a deposit to an email address through paypal costs more than that to try and get it back, I tell him this...I just get the strange feeling that I should not show up with a big amount of money in my pocket so I didnt show up to get it because he was sort of applying pressure and I didnt want to be confrontational and I really just wanted to let it drop. I admit I just let it drop.....ususally someone will just relist and item and be done with it, here's what I get in my email:

As I figured, no deposit, no commitment to purchase. Thanks for renewing my faith in humanity. Every time I extend even the most custodial hospitality to a maggot like you, it is so very scripted. No call, no show, no "sorry I don't want it"..... no ****ing nothing. I told you I was coming back from the river early, specifically to accommodate you, and you ****ing knew that. There is no depth to the contempt felt for such a spineless piece of ****. Now let's review: in 30 minutes I can know everything about your ass. In 3 hours I can be on your doorstep. Don't respond with some glib, self extricating account of how your commitment to travel to my home was somehow tainted by your ****ing paranoia. Do yourself a favor and forget you ever talked to me, cause if I start my research and do what I do for a living, you will not enjoy the outcome.

do you think he overreacted?

Assuming it was an eBay auction, he should have used the 'Second Chance' tool to offer the item to you. Is that what he did? If so, then you made a commitment to buy. It's a legal contract. Just because no one prosecutes doesn't mean no one could.

If it wasn't an eBay auction or he didn't use 'Second Chance' to offer the item to you, he seems kind of on the sleazy tip. I don't blame you for not wanting to do the deal. But on the other hand, you seem like quite the weenie. Why don't you grow a set?

As to the way he reacted...yeah, way over the top. He was mad and frankly I think he had a right to be mad. But the threats he made are borderline nutso and possibly illegal. Bad mojo.

Why didn't you just tell him you had changed your mind? "Not being confrontational" is BS. Cowardly and childish. Man up.
 
The seller's response was completely inappropriate & unwarranted under the circumstances.

On the other hand, you should've called/messaged the seller once you decided to against keeping the appointment. You can't blame the seller for being miffed but yes, what he said was way out of line.
 
Are you putting this out to parade your irresponsibility or something? The thread title seems like you got a little pleasure from this. I don't understand- deposit? Is this something you were paying for in person? Still, why the deposit? Maybe he thought you were going to let it drop and that's why he asked for one. :scratch2: :D

Was the transaction completed through eBay checkout or on a verbal agreement? Doesn't really matter as both should be honored anyway. Some folks are great people til you piss em off or blow em off. Maybe he was a bit over the top though. I'm sure he was kidding as he was upset. I might be too in that situation as I've dealt with lots of tire kickers and buyers who don't follow through. It would depend on how bad I needed the cash.
 
Last edited:
yeah, this wasnt through a second chance offer, and he wanted $500 to "hold the amp" and it just started to seem a little....ya know I just cant see why... I have had people bid and win alot of things from me and not pay or respond to anything I sent afterwards I just move on....
 
yeah, this wasnt through a second chance offer, and he wanted $500 to "hold the amp" and it just started to seem a little....ya know I just cant see why... I have had people bid and win alot of things from me and not pay or respond to anything I sent afterwards I just move on....

Can't you leave feedback for a non paying bidder? You should, I don't want to deal with people who are using eBay as a game and not paying for what they are contractually bound to buy. Just sayin'. I always check feedback of buyers because I don't like hassles. If you're letting them get away with that crap and not leaving feedback, they'll keep doing it to other sellers. BAD, BAD, BAD!!! Ebay needs an enema!!
 
yeah, this wasnt through a second chance offer, and he wanted $500 to "hold the amp" and it just started to seem a little....ya know I just cant see why... I have had people bid and win alot of things from me and not pay or respond to anything I sent afterwards I just move on....

Still should have manned up and done the right thing. Sounds like you seriously inconvenienced the guy and you don't give a crap about it. Nice. I'd be pissed off at you too. I wouldn't threaten you like he did, and I would move on. But I'd think you were a piece of crap for not saying you weren't going to show up.
 
Can't you leave feedback for a non paying bidder? You should, I don't want to deal with people who are using eBay as a game and not paying for what they are contractually bound to buy. Just sayin'. I always check feedback of buyers because I don't like hassles. If you're letting them get away with that crap and not leaving feedback, they'll keep doing it to other sellers. BAD, BAD, BAD!!! Ebay needs an enema!!

You can't leave buyers negative feedback anymore, to the best of my knowledge. Makes the entire feedback system worthless, IMHO. However, you can leave a non-paying bidder strike. eBay won't tell anyone about it, but if they get enough of them supposedly they lose their account.
 
... I have had people bid and win alot of things from me and not pay or respond to anything I sent afterwards I just move on....

..and so will he. The moral of the story is do the right thing. Breaking a committment to buy is bad enough but then failing to show up without at least showing common courtesy by letting the party know is adding insult to injury- and has been known to bring out the worst in people - which in this case, it has.

Go in peace & sin no more... :)
 
oh I told him not to come back early when he said that, I had even offered to come up the following day, he went ahead and did that on his own.
 
if it wasnt a second chance offer then I think you did the right thing. how do you know the original bidder didnt actually buy the item and he sent the same BS email to everyone who bid. he could have all these people send "deposits" and there is no record through ebay that you won anything from him, what leg would you have to stand on?

I would forward a copy of the email to ebay and explain the situation. I think the guy is scamming you and the agro email is all part of the scam. F! that guy and anyone else who thinks you are less of a man for not being scammed.
 
well I didnt know how to tell the guy WHY I wouldnt complete the tranaction....I have met with many people and purchased stuff this way...more times than I can count and in my own defense, getting a letter like THAT ONE makes me think I was right......so far in all my dealings everyone seemed kind and like a good person, this was the first time I had encountered somebody that I had gotten a bad feeling about.
 
Last edited:
I agree that the OP should have called to cancel. But I think some of you are being kind of harsh on him, what with all this "man up" BS. What if the OP were a woman? She should still have called to cancel. Gender based insults are wholly inappropriate. Pretty much always, IMO.

Now that I've said my piece on that...

I'd think seriously about sending a copy of that note to the appropriate law enforcement authorities. This seller has some screws loose, not such a bad idea to start a paper trail about the guy.
 
well I didnt know how to tell the guy WHY I wouldnt complete the tranaction....I have met with many people and purchased stuff this way...more times than I can count and in my own defense, getting a letter like THAT ONE makes me think I was right......

:thmbsp:

You gotta go with your gut sometimes.
 
I don't think he overreacted at all. I hate that **** too (flakes). Now, if he actually does show up on your doorstep, then I'd call it a little over the top. Things being as they are, you got off easy.
 
Should have let the man know you weren't going to show up. OTOH, even though you didn't , his response was WAY over the top. And I agree, you gotta' give a big sigh of relief that you didn't complete a transaction with him.

I can only surmise but I'm thinking he was already upset at a buyer who couldn't or wouldn't abide by the rules of the auction. Then subsequently he's faced with a "no show" ....... and that capped it for him...... he'd had ENOUGH!
 
I doubt such an indignant response would have been the reaction from a scammer. They just go on fishing for more prey. Just another day in the park for them. And if it were a scammer, do you believe you alone would be the only one singled out for such a response? That would mean that he did this to everyone who "bit". Long before he got to the 10th person, the police would be knocking on his door. Definitely not a scammer from where I stand. A hot head yes.
 
Threatening someone is against the law no matter how much someone thinks they deserve it. I would report him to Ebay and the local authorities. That kind of stuff doesn't fly in my book. Especially with everything that's been happening in the media lately.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom