• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

wanna see how pissed someone will get if you dont buy something from them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guy pressures you to put down a deposit, you decide not to. Regardless if the OP was supposed to tell him he was interest or not, he didn't want to fall through pressure. Better the seller gets mad than the buyer risks his money, lots of money in this case, and ends up getting scammed or given a busted up amp.

Yes, it's courteous to tell someone you are not interested in purchasing it afterall. I can't tell you how many times I've been flaked on from CL sellers. Did I get mad and throw a hissy fit? No. I would either call the next person in line and tell them the other guy flaked out and the item's yours ( a happy outcome) or I relist my item and someone else makes a score (also a happy outcome). Regardless, the seller had no right to get so pissed off that he makes threats. Yes, a threat is a threat, tcchuck, you already said you were not a lawyer, so I really can't take your interpretation of the law since you lack the knowledge in the field. Then again, I can't take my mechanic's interpretation of brain surgery either.

With this in mind, I think everyone's made their point and it's time to put the lock on this thread. Both parties made a mistake. One severely overreacted. The seller loses and the OP still has money in his pocket to give to another epay seller who will actually watch over his or her auction and make sure an international buyer is not bidding on their product if they put a disclaimer that they would not ship to international buyers. That's already two strikes, counting the pressure to make a deposit outside of epay. The threat, and yes it was a threat regardless, is the third strike, the guy should lose his epay account. Very unprofessional. Would you excuse a doctor for the same response if you didn't show up for an appointment and failed to call letting them know you weren't going to make it? Would you sit there and not do a damn thing if you didn't go into work and your boss called or e-mailed you threatening statements because you didn't call in? Think about it.
 
...
Yes, a threat is a threat, tchuck, you already said you were not a lawyer, so I really can't take your interpretation of the law since you lack the knowledge in the field. Then again, I can't take my mechanic's interpretation of brain surgery either.

...

Are you a lawyer? I'm just asking questions, not making unfounded claims..............

If you are a lawyer, maybe you can be the first to answer this question: What specifically is the "threat" here, in the legal sense of the term?

[Edit] I see in your profile description that you are a music teacher, so you can go ahead and disregard my post above. I'll disregard yours as well.
 
If you're unhappy and threaten to show up on someone's doorstep, that isn't a veiled threat, that's a full-blown threat. If you contacted someone to thank them then announced that you were coming over for coffee cake and a listening sesh, that wouldn't be one. There's absolutely no question that bad intent was being served up by the seller in a more than healthy portion. Time to get the cops involved, regardless of the lack of consideration on the part of the buyer.
 
I would contact ebay - make sure they know this seller is trying make deals outside of the ebay system. (a no-no).

And, I think he has threatened you sufficiently to merit reporting him to your state police...

And clean your gun and keep it handy...
 
So I lost an auction and the seller contacted me and said he wanted to sell to me because the bidder who won didnt read the auction and was international on a no international shipping auction. he asked for a deposit he seemed too into the deposit part and not so much interested in the sale. I dont feel good about that because sending a deposit to an email address through paypal costs more than that to try and get it back, I tell him this...I just get the strange feeling that I should not show up with a big amount of money in my pocket so I didnt show up to get it because he was sort of applying pressure and I didnt want to be confrontational and I really just wanted to let it drop. I admit I just let it drop.....ususally someone will just relist and item and be done with it, here's what I get in my email:

As I figured, no deposit, no commitment to purchase. Thanks for renewing my faith in humanity. Every time I extend even the most custodial hospitality to a maggot like you, it is so very scripted. No call, no show, no "sorry I don't want it"..... no ****ing nothing. I told you I was coming back from the river early, specifically to accommodate you, and you ****ing knew that. There is no depth to the contempt felt for such a spineless piece of ****. Now let's review: in 30 minutes I can know everything about your ass. In 3 hours I can be on your doorstep. Don't respond with some glib, self extricating account of how your commitment to travel to my home was somehow tainted by your ****ing paranoia. Do yourself a favor and forget you ever talked to me, cause if I start my research and do what I do for a living, you will not enjoy the outcome.

do you think he overreacted?

You know - I'm always suspicious about sales on ebay where someone else bids it was up beyond my price, wins, and then doesn't actually buy it. So, this time the story is an internatonal buyer ... maybe, maybe not. And now its available to me at that high price? naaah ...

And someone sends an agressive threatening email like that - sure ... best to keep your distance from someone with an attitude case like that.

Prosecute him for a threat? Kind of depends on where he lives, where you live and how much grief you want to dredge up. Could be costly, too.

Has he sent any more emails since that first angry one?

He may be some little guy with a big case of attitude mouth -
On the internet, no one knows you are a dog ...

Let it go, walk away, he can relist it and sell again.
 
Last edited:
How many times have you posted something for sale and the proposed buyer stood you up, it comes with the territory. The winning bidder should have been the one to get the nasty note IMO. Anyone else has no obligation to buy, which it seems the seller was trying to force on the OP. That being said he should have just said no.
 
How many times have you posted something for sale and the proposed buyer stood you up, it comes with the territory. The winning bidder should have been the one to get the nasty note IMO. Anyone else has no obligation to buy, which it seems the seller was trying to force on the OP. That being said he should have just said no.

I sell a lot - and it happens all the time. I never really bother with flakes - just relist and move on. Or - hit the "Second Chance" button and let ebay do its thing.

They have it set up so there is really no need for any communication between buyer and seller beyond the stock ebay messages/notifications...which I think is great. (remembering the old days of negotiating these things via email.)
 
in case you do not know emailing a deposit to an email address through paypal not actually directly related to a completed ebay sale means the seller can not show to complete the deal and you will not get your money back, very dangerous to do, like paypaling someone money for a CL item, a CL seller CAN just not send anything to you.......

I'm not sure if this is true. I always thought you were covered through Paypal as long as the payment wasn't "gifted." It says right on the invoice- goods and services, ect.
 
It is generally considered polite for a buyer to indicate that they no longer intend to purchase an item, but in my experience, flaky buyers are a fact of life. By telling the seller not to show up at the arranged meeting, and refusing to pay the deposit, the buyer partially made this indication. The seller gave the buyer what I believe to be good reason to back out of the transaction. More direct communication upon the part of the buyer probably would have been unpleasant, but would have gone a long way towards mitigating the situation.

IMO, the seller clearly crossed the line with his thinly veiled, threatening email. Even if law enforcement is not willing to take direct action at this time, at least file a report so your concern is documented in the event that the seller actually does decide to show up and or do something else that is stupid and makes your life more difficult.
 
...Anyone else has no obligation to buy, which it seems the seller was trying to force on the OP...

I agree. Three weeks ago, I was outbid at the close on an HD DVR. I wanted one, so once the auction had ended and I'd been outbid, I bought another on eBay, via "Buy It Now". Then a couple of hours later I got an e-mail notification that the seller had cancelled the winning bid and as second highest bidder, I'd "won" the auction. The only option in a scenario like that on eBay is to retract a bid, with limited "reasons" available to click--none of which included "bought another after losing acution". Anyway, I retracted my bid immediately, as I certainly didn't want two units. As far as I'm concerned, once an auction ends, any cancellation of the winning bid should only result in a "second chance offer", which the potential buyer should be under no obligation to accept at that point, because of the possibility of the very scenario I had in front of me. I haven't written eBay a letter yet, but I do NOT think cancellation of a winning bid should automatically make the second highest bidder the "winner".
 
I honestly think everyone is over reacting here. When folks get angry, often times things are said in haste and not really meant. I've said some things to people that pissed me off and later apologized. And in some cases I didn't apologize. Big deal, some people are total pricks who deserve it. If you deal with the transaction in a mature way, you'll get a mature response most of time in return. In this case, the buyer was immature. this most likely caused the seller to be immature. The seller was expressing his disapproval to a buyer who broke a contract-even if it was verbal. And how do we really even know if the buyer didn't send a rude or crass email to warrant the one from the seller- we are only getting half of the story here. This is a simple problem - no transaction even took place. Why be butt hurt about it? This country is starting to be made up of a bunch of weenies who have to hide behind police and lawyers instead of dealing with their own problems head on. Responsibility, responsibility, responsibility. My take is the buyer started it by ghosting the seller.

Now, I have had situations where a transaction took place and I was handed the short end of the stick and lied to. Do I really think it is worth the money to have lawyers deal with it? No. Do I think I need to voice my opinion at what a scumbag the guilty party was- yes. I sometimes get the feeling that many folks feel they can do whatever they want w/o consequence. Their own form of diplomatic immunity. I hate that! The other thing is, I refuse to sell on eBay since there is no way to keep a buyer in check. That whole system is flawed in my book and set up for tire- kicking buyers. It's BS!
 
Last edited:
What I am trying to figure out is how long this is going to go one before the moderator locks this thread.

Hopefully sooner then later, as it's really beginning to show the ugly side of people.
Amazing IMHO how a thread like this-that really only has to do with the OP and the other party mentioned, has raised so much angst and anger-"
Really?-are we kids, ruled by our basic emotions, or adults?
"Just itchin to kick somebody's ass"......:scratch2:
Seems to be the former that is the flavor of the day-really a joke IMHO.
Lucikly, most people-except for the loud mouth ones, aren't like this.
Stop, cool down, and think about it.
The OP probably could have avoided the escalation, (and why people don't realize the consequences of their actions in certain situations amazes me) but once it escalated to threats-forward these to the local police-yes they will take them seriously, and if not, demand to fie a complaint. If you talk to a detective vs a uniform, they are usually very helpful.
Nothing wrong with defending yourself, but taking the law into your own hands usually doesn't end well.
This isn't the Wild West anymore...
 
Screw the seller......

He shouldn't have been offering the amp outside of eBay after a failed eBay sale, or ask for a deposit and then get mad when the OP backed out without notice. The OP owes this asshole no consideration because the seller wasn't following any of the established guidelines to sell the amp.

Why does the OP need to follow any kind of protocol ? The seller did whatever the hell he wanted to do so that leaves the OP wide open to make up his own rules too.

You cannot make up your own rules and then expect everyone else to follow some sort of established "appropriate" protocol. That's asinine.

I would report the seller to eBay for the outside transaction, deposit requirement and email. And to the local authorities if the OP genuinely feels threatened. The authorities won't do anything but file a report, but it gets this guy on the record for the local asshole list.
 
Screw the seller......

He shouldn't have been offering the amp outside of eBay after a failed eBay sale, or ask for a deposit and then get mad when the OP backed out without notice. The OP owes this asshole no consideration because the seller wasn't following any of the established guidelines to sell the amp.

Why does the OP need to follow any kind of protocol ? The seller did whatever the hell he wanted to do so that leaves the OP wide open to make up his own rules too.

You cannot make up your own rules and then expect everyone else to follow some sort of established "appropriate" protocol. That's asinine.

I would report the seller to eBay for the outside transaction, deposit requirement and email. And to the local authorities if the OP feels genuinely feels threatened. The authorities won't do anything but file a report, but it gets this guy on the record for the local asshole list.

Technically speaking, this is a valid point. No eBay protocol was followed. However, a verbal agreement outside eBay is no different than doing a deal on Barter town, Audio Asylum, Audiogon, DIYaudio, ect. we don't screw each other here. I really don't see a difference. My .02
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom