• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

Had my best day ever for audio gear. In the morning I sold a Tannoy Monitor Black for more than my car is worth. Then I picked up a massive pile of vacuum tubes for $200. All of the boxes stacked in the picture are full of tubes. The second picture shows NOS Amperex bugle boy el34 quad, 5ar4, and a sleeve of 12ax7s. Those alone are worth more than I paid. Several of the boxes have jumbo size military transmission tubes new in their boxes. I'm a hi-fi guy, don't do any ham radio stuff and will sell them all off. Also included was an EICO 625 tube tester (already have more testers than I need). Guy I bought from had them stored for over 25 years. View attachment 3814010View attachment 3814011
Did you sell the Monitor Black on ebay for 13.5K? You are the freakin man.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SKS
Had my best day ever for audio gear. In the morning I sold a Tannoy Monitor Black for more than my car is worth. Then I picked up a massive pile of vacuum tubes for $200. All of the boxes stacked in the picture are full of tubes. The second picture shows NOS Amperex bugle boy el34 quad, 5ar4, and a sleeve of 12ax7s. Those alone are worth more than I paid. Several of the boxes have jumbo size military transmission tubes new in their boxes. I'm a hi-fi guy, don't do any ham radio stuff and will sell them all off. Also included was an EICO 625 tube tester (already have more testers than I need). Guy I bought from had them stored for over 25 years. View attachment 3814010View attachment 3814011
What does a working decent tube tester go for these day????
 
What does a working decent tube tester go for these day????
Basic emissions testers go for under $100. Many of the higher performance mutual conductance testers can go for well over 1000. My best tester is a Triplett 3444. Someday I hope to stumble into a Hickok 539c for an affordable price.
 
What does a working decent tube tester go for these day????
Most folks can use an emissions tester for simple good/bad readings, but if you are selling tubes, a dynamic mutual conductance tester is better. I used a Knight 600 for a long time as did Kegger, but I got a Hickok 600 and later a TV7 for the better street cred in my sales. Once I’ve sold off all the hundreds/thousands of tubes here, I’ll sell the TV7 and keep a Knight for my personal use.

You can probably get a decent tester for $300 including calibration and shipping. I’d stay away from any $$$ tester as for most folks it’s overkill. You don’t need a Maserati to go grocery shopping..,
 
Most folks can use an emissions tester for simple good/bad readings, but if you are selling tubes, a dynamic mutual conductance tester is better. I used a Knight 600 for a long time as did Kegger, but I got a Hickok 600 and later a TV7 for the better street cred in my sales. Once I’ve sold off all the hundreds/thousands of tubes here, I’ll sell the TV7 and keep a Knight for my personal use.

You can probably get a decent tester for $300 including calibration and shipping. I’d stay away from any $$$ tester as for most folks it’s overkill. You don’t need a Maserati to go grocery shopping..,
I think e-commerce tube buyers view the tv7 as the trusted standard, even though there are more sophisticated testers available. I would like to get one someday, but I restrict my buying to local bargains I run across.
 
TVs are very inexpensive nowadays. My friend recently got a brand new 65" LG from Sam's Club priced at $279.
Of course there's taxes to consider, but there's also a warranty!
 
The new RGB TVs are even more, but that technology is just now filling the market.

2500 today is about 625 back in 1980 so better TVs are selling at about the same
 
Just got back from a househunting road trip. Stopped at an estate sale a block from an open house, and was surprised to find the guy was an audiophile. No pics yet but here's a partial list of what I got:

- a Dynaco ST70 he was in process of rebuilding with Curcio PCBs
- full complement of Sovtek EL34's plus spares
- a pair of NOS Telefunken EL-34's
- a Dynaco PAS-3 that he had already rebuilt with SS heater supply and cap board (Curcio?) with Sovtek 12AX7WBs
- spare 12AX7WBs in both chrome and black plates
- two of the original Dynaco Telefunken 12AX7s plus several other 12AX7 types. Looks like he was tube-rolling the PAS-3
- a nice AudioQuest record clamp
- several nice Acoustic Research stereo cables, some video cables, a toslink cable, etc
- a nice pair of speaker wires, forget the brand but quite high quality with bananas
- a Denon ultrasonic stylus cleaner and round level
- a Shure M78S in a Stanton Headshell
- a NOS Shure SFG-2
- about 15 nice records, all mint, including some MFSLs, a Nautilus, an Analogue Productions Ultimate Test record, etc
- a Nitty Gritty 2.5 in Oak
- a Monster Cable Genesis 500, possibly NOS but likely with some break-in wear
- a Shure V15VxMR, also possibly NOS, mounted to an Orsonic AV-101S headshell, with metal box and docs

It was quite a haul!
 
Back
Top Bottom