• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Good day, everyone. I'm in the decision making process about the Mazda, and have three distinct options that seem realistic. Regardless of what I choose, I am going to attempt to get the dealer in Santa Fe to repair the transient electrical issue concerning audible alerts. That said, the engine is one of the examples that "features" cylinder deactivation, and to my knowledge, no manufacturer has been able to make this feat of engineering work as well as engines that don't do this. There are already threads online about issues with the latest iteration of this system, and I'm leery about holding the bag on this one.

I can keep the Mazda and hope for the best, but only if the dealer fixes the alert issue under warranty, without fighting about it. If they don't, I'll have ample proof that I don't want to deal with them regarding more serious issues. The Mazda is also small, and several passengers have complained about it being less than comfortable. I frequently wish that it has more space. Driving to the Mt. Lindsey trailhead in the dark back in May of this year scared the crap out of me, and there were several places where I fully expected a nasty scrape, and or getting stuck. These things didn't happen, but still. There is no way I'd take it to the upper South Colony Lakes trailhead, and no way it would have cleared the final hole in the road to the Capitol Creek trailhead.

Option two involves trading the Mazda in for a 30-70K mileage RAV4. This seems like a sensible choice all around, and doesn't have a critical engine flaw built in. Avoiding '19 models is key, because they are known to have transmission issues. They're not as capable as true 4WD vehicles with a real low gear, and locking hubs, but they're good enough, and better than Mazdas with this regard.

Option three involves stretching the budget, and getting an older ('14-'19) 4-Runner with 90-120K miles. This is a larger gamble, but if I get a good one, I'll have a truly suitable vehicle for rough USFS roads, and carrying all of the things I want to comfortably, but with a fuel cost penalty. It will likely need more attention up front, and this may be expensive.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

View attachment 3843506
Wow....lots of options....budget constraints? Preferred manufacturer?? Local sales???
 
Good morning, Graeme. The RAV4 comes in AWD, and has an offroad mode, and I wouldn't even consider the 2WD version. It would be nicer for most of the driving I do, and that's significant, because my daily commute is about 40 miles, regardless of weather.
Morning Stephen, like I said the RAV 4 is nice, and I have a friend who has one and like all Toyotas they just work, all the time! If you're climbing ski hills with it I'd go with the 4-Runner... otherwise the Rav 4 is a nice vehicle for sure! :)
 
Wow....lots of options....budget constraints? Preferred manufacturer?? Local sales???

Hi Don, good morning. I'm limited to about $30K, including trade-in. Local is preferred, and I would have to have a suitable 4-Runner delivered from out of state, or go and get it.

Morning Stephen, like I said the RAV 4 is nice, and I have a friend who has one and like all Toyotas they just work, all the time! If you're climbing ski hills with it I'd go with the 4-Runner... :)

Thanks! I'm willing to compromise serious offroad performance for daily comfort and fuel costs. Most of the on-mountain trucks at work are 4-Runners or Tacomas. The service roads are hard on anything staff takes up.
 
Hi Don, good morning. I'm limited to about $30K, including trade-in. Local is preferred, and I would have to have a suitable 4-Runner delivered from out of state, or go and get it.



Thanks! I'm willing to compromise serious offroad performance for daily comfort and fuel costs. Most of the on-mountain trucks at work are 4-Runners or Tacomas. The service roads are hard on anything staff takes up.
I would take a look at this one local....mileage lower than avg....good Jeep platform....v6 so a bit more power/torque.....Just a suggestion....
 
I used to do the Vermont portion of the Long Trail, and the best part was up Mount Mansfield- great fun, amazing view up top... :)
i skiied Stowe a couple times most seasons when i was a kid. good challenge for the East coast. Beautiful views. We'd get up there before opening and be one of the first on the lift. If fortunate there'd be fresh snow. Really fortunate if they just re-opened a trail after being closed for a week or two - hip deep and no one around.
 
Last edited:
I watched a lot of Cars'n'Coffee events on youtube, especially some awesome vids from "Danno Live"... you know him? He was videoing an illegal street race when he was killed by one of the cars... his videos of the cars'n'coffee event were legendary, and everyone knew him... sad story...
I probably have seen them. I watch a couple guys who do Texas city shows. The police seem pretty lax on burn outs and crazy stuff
 
Back
Top Bottom