• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What car did you lust after as a teenager?

Wanted a early 70's Chevelle with a 396 or 427 and Cragers. 60's on the back and 70's on the front. Dad would never let me. No regrets because he is still alive, a great man, and I turned out pretty okay too. Gots me a basic Nissan Frontier pick-em-up truckster these days :)
 
Wanted a Jag XKE. Then it was an Ashton Martin DB5. Yep, I do remember some of the '60s. (grin)
Settled for MGB in oxblood red with knock off wire rims. Fun little car except that Lucas did the wiring.
 
Wanted a Jag XKE. Then it was an Ashton Martin DB5. Yep, I do remember some of the '60s. (grin)
Settled for MGB in oxblood red with knock off wire rims. Fun little car except that Lucas did the wiring.
Yeah, Lucas wiring.:eek:
Those things should have been equipped with fire extinguishers.
 
I was driving to Home Depot on Saturday and saw this 1969 Roadrunner. I had to pull over and check it out. Did this bring back memories. I was fourteen in 1969 and really loved this year of Roadrunner. My all time favorite car. View attachment 1894977
That's a 1963 Olds 98 convertible behind the 'runner.
That was my first new car purchase. $3000. What I lusted for was a 1957 Corvette.
 
Lucas aka the prince of darkness. ;) In my younger days I worked for a company that specialized in Auto and Marine electrical systems. British Leyland products with Lucas electrics kept our doors open and paid my rent and car payments.

P.S. A good buddy at the time bought a 73 MGB roadster. He said MGB stands for Me Going Broke.
 
I've driven enough supercars.
maxresdefault.jpg
But I've always liked to go left & right.

Lotus-Seven-Petrolicious-Screenshot.jpg

Before I moved to the US, I was building a Dax Rush, which is/was a clone of the Lotus 7. The one they took me for a demonstration in was powered by a 2 litre Cosworth turbo motor. It actually hurt your chest, the acceleration on that thing. And of course, it would corner like it was on rails.
 
Porsche 911 turbo, but a Carrera would have done.

Porsche 911.jpg

But more obtainable would have been a real Mini Cooper 1275S. I was lucky enough to get a Cooper 998, which went pretty well for an engine smaller than a lot of motorbikes. But that Cooper S engine was real special, lots of high quality steel used in the crank, rods and engine block. My brother has an S engine that he bought off me in the 1990s, it's still running today. Might have been rebuilt a few times, but the main parts are still there. Never had it re-bored or the crank re-ground since I did them back in the day.

Mini Cooper 1275S.jpg

Oh, and Lucas electrics. Said it before and I'll say it again. If you can't fix an old British car, you're not much of a mechanic.
 
Porsche 911 turbo, but a Carrera would have done.

View attachment 1897229

But more obtainable would have been a real Mini Cooper 1275S. I was lucky enough to get a Cooper 998, which went pretty well for an engine smaller than a lot of motorbikes. But that Cooper S engine was real special, lots of high quality steel used in the crank, rods and engine block. My brother has an S engine that he bought off me in the 1990s, it's still running today. Might have been rebuilt a few times, but the main parts are still there. Never had it re-bored or the crank re-ground since I did them back in the day.

View attachment 1897233

Oh, and Lucas electrics. Said it before and I'll say it again. If you can't fix an old British car, you're not much of a mechanic.

My E-type was absolutely trouble free for the 10yrs I owned it using it daily. Sure some of the electrical connections were dodgy when I got the car but it was 40yrs old lol. Once those were sorted it was happy motoring with a smile from ear to ear.
 
Lucas aka the prince of darkness. ;) In my younger days I worked for a company that specialized in Auto and Marine electrical systems. British Leyland products with Lucas electrics kept our doors open and paid my rent and car payments.

P.S. A good buddy at the time bought a 73 MGB roadster. He said MGB stands for Me Going Broke.

If Lucas built guns, there would be no wars! The guns would not work.
 
If you can't fix an old British car, you're not much of a mechanic.

Agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately,that is (largely) the reason why British vehicles have such a poor reputation; Any idiot with a brick and an adjustable wrench can probably get it to run again. And if the brick and the adjustable wrench don't work,then its an electrical problem! :rolleyes:
 
At 14 all I wanted was to drive Dads 48 Willys Jeep that jeep is still my dream vehicle. I drove it during high school 16 to almost 19 it was in storage from 76 to 2004 I have been completely rebuilding and upgrading it since I brought it home it should be back on the road sometime this year.
LLhaDSn.jpg





 
At 14 all I wanted was to drive Dads 48 Willys Jeep that jeep is still my dream vehicle. I drove it during high school 16 to almost 19 it was in storage from 76 to 2004 I have been completely rebuilding and upgrading it since I brought it home it should be back on the road sometime this year.
LLhaDSn.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
DvWETm2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

very schveet, looking forward to completed pics
 
Back
Top Bottom