• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What Do you All think of Electro Static Speakers

cshaydude

Digital? Nah thanks
I went to my local sound shop and was looking around, and an employee came over and asked me if I'd like to hear them, and me being me, I said yes. He put on a wonderful electronic music cd (down-tempo ambiance) and I was blown away. Those speakers were incredible. Unfortunately they'll always be out of my budget. But what do you all think of Electro-Statics?
 
Register to hide this ad
I think 'stats can have some of the cleanest, most compelling midrange you may ever hear.

They certainly aren't without their limitations but, if you can live with them, they are dreamy to listen to.
 
I think 'stats can have some of the cleanest, most compelling midrange you may ever hear.

They certainly aren't without their limitations but, if you can live with them, they are dreamy to listen to.


Agreed. Probably the biggest limitation ( in my opinion ) is that most suffer from an extremely narrow sweet spot. Move slightly out of it and the magic disappears.
 
The Quad ESL 57 emits unique sound, one could call exquisite.
I do.
However, they are limited in bass response, higher volume dynamics and in their low slung presentation next to the floor.
No problem with too narrow a sweet spot.
Perfect for apartment living.
 
Magical in certain regards to musical reproduction but not without limitations and trade-offs. Just like any other speaker system, it all boils down to what your priorities are and whether you can live with the limitations of the design.

Typical limitations of ESL designs are a narrow sweet spot, placement and setup requirements, limited bass and limited dynamic range.
 
My biggest concern has always been their fragility, especially the vintage ones.

I guess I thought the same thing but if well run and in an amenable environment they could function indefinitely, relatively speaking.
My early '80s Quads, unless sometime reconditioned, are in wonderful condition:)
I have a set of 1971 Infinitys with RTR esl panels that seem perfect.
The thing is I have other stuff to which I'd rather listen than the ESL stuff.
 
Not always the case. Acoustats are pretty tough.

How about Martin Logan? I once had an opportunity to pick up a pair of Aerius for cheap. Alas some of the panels turned out to be defunct/buzzing and the Aussie distributor's replacement panel pricing was just not worth the effort. FWIW, MLs are the most common ESL speakers here.
 
How about Martin Logan? I once had an opportunity to pick up a pair of Aerius for cheap. Alas some of the panels turned out to be defunct/buzzing and the Aussie distributor's replacement panel pricing was just not worth the effort. FWIW, MLs are the most common ESL speakers here.

I think "buzzing" sound comes from magnetic planar designs whereby the delamination of wire/mylar takes place.
If ESLs go bad they simply don't produce any sound in the area where the "accident" occurred(arc).
 
Also remember that they are not efficient, often difficult impedance loads, and not suited for anything but separates which can drive demanding loads without issue.
 
But what do you all think of Electro-Statics?
I have been an electrostatic fan since '76 when I heard a TAS reviewer friend's Dayton-Wrights. Their one voice coherency immediately became my preference ever since. I've been using various Acoustat and Sound Lab models since 1977.
 
I've never owned a pair and probably never will due to a couple of reasons (placement and power requirements). What I've heard in shops sounded fantastic. Very life like.
 
However, they are limited in bass response, higher volume dynamics and in their low slung presentation next to the floor. No problem with too narrow a sweet spot.
My preference is the Soundlab U-1.

They have flat to 30 hz measured in room response, are capable of playing pretty loudly and at 7 feet tall (they also offer 9 foot tall models) do not present a "balcony" perspective image. The 90 degree faceted panel eliminates the head-in-a-vise challenge.

As single panel dipolar line arrays, the sound field changes very little regardless of where you are in the room. Stand up. Sit down. Close to them. Away from them. In front of them. Behind them.

system2014.jpg
 
My QUAD ESL-63s are rugged, with lots of protection built-in, super easy to drive, any 50-100W amp will do, and don't dominate the rooom.

Yes, they have limitations; they won't shake the walls. If you're a fan of Ella, Sarah, Anita and Billie, etc, as I am, nothing else (IME) will provide the realism. Some 'stats provide an image that's way too big. The '63s and later QUADs avoid that by creating a virtual point source. Works very well.

BTW, 'stats will very definitely buzz, and make other weird noises, when they are damaged by arcing.
 
Last edited:
Please pardon my long post, while I get this off my chest.

I'm still running Quad ESL63s I bought in the early eighties without any service, or operational issues. Up until about 2yrs ago, I could say that about TWO pairs, but I did damage a bass panel when moving one... it was dropped about 4ft to the concreat driveway, and wasn't boxed at the time, so I can't really blame the speaker for that one. Similarly, I've had several Acoustats, and the only one that has ever failed, did so when it was pushed into a bicycle's handlebar by a 100lb dog... technically, it still works, but a funny buzzing sound is now coming from the fist sized hole in the middle of the panel - can't understand why. :D

In short, my experience with electrostatic speakers has been that they are, by and large, at least as durable as "conventional" speakers... with one surprising exception...

A little background here is in order.
I've been an electrostatic speaker user since the mid seventies, starting out with AR3s crossed over to JansZen tweeters, then Quad '57s, then stacked '57s, then the '63s I still use. Over the years I've acquired models from most of the major players, Martin Logan, KLH, Acouststat, Soundlab, and Crown/RtR. I can honestly say, the only operational issues I've ever had, that weren't caused by my horrific mishandling, were with Martin Logans. It's always struck me funny, that for all their reputation, and the obvious build quality M/L has vested in their products, that they seem to have a more limited panel life than any other 'stat I've played with!

I bought Sequel IIs & Acoustat Spectra 11s at about the same time in the early nineties, both new. I went through two panels (both under warrenty) within the first 2yrs with the M/L before I traded them in on a pair of Soundlab Dynastats. I still have both the Dynastats & the Spectra 11s. Neither have needed ANY service what so ever, both in regular use to this day. Similarly, the pair of M/L CLSs I bought in the eighties just failed, and they were on their second panels... now M/L doesn't even sell the original panels for those, and want's more than they cost for "updated" panels, AND those would require me to have the boxes modified (more $$$) ultimately making them sound like CLS IIzs, which I don't even like!

I don't mean to unfairly bash Martin Logan, I'm sure if I had kept my original Quad '57s, they would have also needed service by now, but then that's one reason why Peter Walker (designer of the Quad) came up with a more robust 'stat with his second design (the ESL-63). Quad' first model, for all their wonderful qualities, were not the last word in long term durability... when driven properly, they could "only" be expected to work for 20 odd yrs, before likely service. AFAIK, M/L has still not fully licked their issues with panel coating deterioration, so their panels lead the industry in short life expectancy. This baffles me when I can still play a pair of KLH9s made in the late '60s, or a pair of '63s that have been run hard for over 30yrs without so much as a tune up!

I'm sure a bunch of folks with Martin Logans will now jump on me for this little rant, but I'm posting this because I honestly feel ESLs have a largely undeserved reputation of being fragile. With the exception of Martin Logan, I have found the exact opposite to be the case. I feel that after buying two of their speakers, over a ten year spread, and having them both fail in the same way, I'm speaking from experience. I love the looks, and for the most part the sound of their speakers, too bad they just don't make them to last! :thumbsdn:
 
Back
Top Bottom