• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What Do you All think of Electro Static Speakers

WOW.... that there Stat is what I call a pretty sweet dedicated listening space!!! Nice job! :thmbsp:
Thanks!

Now if you truly wanted to create the illusion of the space found at live concert performances from say Row F, a double pair would do even better! Ray Kimber used to show off his high resolution recordings at shows using arrays of 922s (9 ft tall - 22 degree radiation angle).

Ray Kimber's Demo (Scroll down a bit for some pics and impressions)
 
I listened to a pair of Quad 57s the other day, freshly restored. It's very easy to listen very 'deeply' i.e. far into the soundstage, with them. This was with acoustic music, and sans subs, but even not fully charged I could hear the magic in them.

Unlike many models of MLs, Quads can be reconditioned. It ain't cheap, but it can be done...
 
I've had a pair of Martin Logan reQuests for about 14 years. They are very dynamic and robust. They also have a huge sound stage and there is no sweet spot when positioned correctly. They are supported by an REL sub.

That said, they are a difficult load to drive, that is why I, like many other ML owners, powered them with a Sunfire (Bob Carver) amp. This amp will handle impedance loads down to 1 ohm, which is what you would need to handle the speaker's impedance curve. I believe that using other amps that are not rated to go lower then 4 ohms may lead to ills on both the amp and speakers.

Also, electrostatics are not made to be played at "concert" levels. If you want that, go get some Cerwin Vegas. They are made to play at reasonable levels very accurately. The success of the speaker(s) is usually at the hands of the volume control operator.
 
Too big and require too much power sums it up for me. I guess if you have the space and don't mind the large footprint then that takes care of the first thing.

Back in about 1983 a friend of mine bought some Magnepans. He quickly realized that the power requirement aspect of it wasn't for him so he got rid of them and ended up with Klipsch Cornwalls. Never looked back. Although the Cornwalls don't exactly have a small footprint either.
 
I've heard a couple of pairs of electrostats. They were okay. Nothing great IMO. My ears tend to prefer the omnidirectional approach.
 
Back in about 1983 a friend of mine bought some Magnepans. He quickly realized that the power requirement aspect of it wasn't for him...
While it wasn't necessarily true thirty years ago, good sounding 200 watt/channel amps are not that unusual in today's market. Some folks use inexpensive pro amps with them.

Although the Cornwalls don't exactly have a small footprint either.
Maggies actually have a shallow footprint, but as dipoles do require some space between them and the wall in order to breathe.
 
Back in about 1983 a friend of mine bought some Magnepans. He quickly realized that the power requirement aspect of it wasn't for him so he got rid of them and ended up with Klipsch Cornwalls.

I wasn't aware that Magnepan made 'stats. :scratch2:
 
I wasn't aware that Magnepan made 'stats. :scratch2:
They don't, but many folks include them in such discussions along with other planar/ribbon/quasi ribbon designs because they look and sound similar. I could easily live with 20.7s.

For that matter, all of the stats from companies like Roger Sanders, Martin-Logan, Koss, JansZen, et. al. are hybrids using monopolar dynamic woofers for full range operation - even if the electrostatic panels are dipoles!
 
The ones I heard at audio shows and in audio stores in the 70's were amazing. I have a pair of old KOSS ESP-9 headphones and I like them very much. I haven't listened to them in some time.
 
I've heard a couple of pairs of electrostats. They were okay. Nothing great IMO. My ears tend to prefer the omnidirectional approach.

Like I said, done properly they are magnificent. It's not hard to find them not being done properly and I heard two different pair of ML's (that did very little for me) and had to mess with my Acoustats for a good bit before I finally saw the light. I have a hard time believing any music enthusiast, especially audio enthusiast, wouldn't find at least a few things to be impressed as hell with when an ESL is strutting its stuff.
 
...For that matter, all of the stats from companies like Roger Sanders, Martin-Logan, Koss, JansZen, et. al. are hybrids using monopolar dynamic woofers for full range operation - even if the electrostatic panels are dipoles!

Well, not exactly.
Most of the brands you mention did make full range models. Martin Logan made CLSs, and now CLXs, Koss's Model 1 & 1a, and JansZen's designed KLH9s. Brands like Quad, Acoustat, Final, Soundlab, Dayton-Wright, AudioStatic, King, and a great number of others I could mention, also made full range models. Most ESL manufacturers have made at least a few hybrids, that is true, but Martin Logan and JansZen are among the few that focused so much on them.
 
Last edited:
Two panel Acoustats such as my Spectra 22's are rated to produce 110db (program peaks) at 18' in a 14' x 22' x 8' room. If the responsibility for bass reproduction is delegated to a couple of sub woofers they will play even louder. I have on more than one occasion watched the meter on my old Rat Shack meter bouncing off the stop (106dB) on the highest scale while seated in the sweet spot.

Those with more panels will not only play even louder they require less power to do so. In addition they are all rugged enough for the actual panels to endure washing when they become dirty.

I've been using various Acoustat models since the early 80's. I currently have two pair.
 
Well, not exactly.
Most of the brands you mention did make full range models.
I refer to current product but was mistaken about the Koss. Indeed those were full range.

And the ML CLX requires subwoofers for full range operation making it a three way.
 
Last edited:
Like I said, done properly they are magnificent. It's not hard to find them not being done properly and I heard two different pair of ML's (that did very little for me) and had to mess with my Acoustats for a good bit before I finally saw the light. I have a hard time believing any music enthusiast, especially audio enthusiast, wouldn't find at least a few things to be impressed as hell with when an ESL is strutting its stuff.

Maybe I'll get a chance to hear a pair done properly some time.
 
Best speakers I ever heard in my life were stats. I also owned a pair of Koss model 1A stats for 30 years till one died. Still have them though. They were full range.
 
I couldn't live with a pair as my only loudspeakers but I love them (specifically, the vintage Quads, have a pair, and trot them out now and again to enjoy truly andmagically neutral reproduction of music.
 
I've had a pair of Martin Logan reQuests for about 14 years. They are very dynamic and robust. They also have a huge sound stage and there is no sweet spot when positioned correctly. They are supported by an REL sub.

That said, they are a difficult load to drive, that is why I, like many other ML owners, powered them with a Sunfire (Bob Carver) amp. This amp will handle impedance loads down to 1 ohm, which is what you would need to handle the speaker's impedance curve. I believe that using other amps that are not rated to go lower then 4 ohms may lead to ills on both the amp and speakers.

Also, electrostatics are not made to be played at "concert" levels. If you want that, go get some Cerwin Vegas. They are made to play at reasonable levels very accurately. The success of the speaker(s) is usually at the hands of the volume control operator.
have modded ML Clarity speakers. I replaced the stock under 5lb 8in woofers with upgrade Dynavox 12.5 lb 8in woofers. Smaller hybrid 'stats are easier to drive than large 'stats. New ML's hybrid's have improved a lot in the bass dept..still a tad shy of my modded pair.

I think the curved panels do help to widen the sweet spot. I drive with a fully refurbed 55wpc Fisher X-1000 integrated tube amp. Half volume is about all I can expect to get away with in apt dwelling. I've driven 33wpc U70 and 42wpc Quadramatic. Not enough power really, but both were stable.

The sound is airy, accurate, tight, balanced, very nice mid range. Nice synergy medium size room. I often listen without sub on.

I listened to 200wpc mono block McIntosh tube amps at Bst Buy across the street from Best Buy headquaters in Mpls, with hybrids about same size as mine. There was more resolution to the highs with the Mac amps, but would have to give the nod to mids and low end, the way mine are set up.
Very happy with my set up...could do better with modded circuit X-1000, but not willing to do that.
 
Back
Top Bottom