• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What do you own that is TOTL?

Just about everything in my sig line below was considered top of the line for its respective size at one time. Many pieces still are.
 
Unfortunately, I'm a poor college student so I don't have a ton of exotic, TOTL pieces. I was lucky enough to get a fully functioning Kenwood KR-9600 for free a while back though. That receiver is pretty sweet, especially since I didn't have to pay anything for it!
 
My TOTL stuff

B&O M70's bought new
Yamaha HP-1's bought new
Dual CS-5000 bought new
Dahlquist DQ-10 2nd hand
Thorens TD-125 II 2nd hand (I think it was TOTL)
 
ADS L-910's
Pioneer SX-2500
Pioneer PL-71
Fisher 800C (?- not entirely sure if it's top of the line)
Dahlquist DQ-10
Pioneer CTF 9191
Pioneer CTF 1250
 
I have more queens than Kings but overall I can find good merits in items that are not TOTL. But I do have a few TOTL items.

Infinity QLS-1's
Infinity Kappa 9's
Phase Linear Andromeda's and III's.
PHase Linear PL-800 II turntable
Phase Linear 4000 preamp
Phase Linear 5100 tuner
PHase Linear 1100 Parametric EQ
Phase Linear 1200 Real Time Analyzer
Phase Linear 6000 Delay
Mcintosh C28
Empire 598 III turntable
SAE 2100L preamp
SAE 2800 Parametric EQ
SAE D102 CD
SAE 4000 active Crossover
SAE 8000 tuner
Infinity RS-1a's
Infinity RS-1b's
Carver C 4000

Its pretty easy to have a little list when companies had small lines of equipment.
 
Last edited:
My kit contains two TOTL units (respective to their era and brand), and one that, while nominally not being the company's top-unit, still seems deserving of the appellation.

Sony CDP-707ESD
harman/kardon hk775
Musical Fidelity A3cr.

The A3cr is the one that would have an asterisk. Musical Fidelity's contemporary statement piece was, of course, the NuVista, but the company's Antony Michaelson reportedly told Wes Philips that the A3cr was at least as good as the NuVista, and sported better specifications.
 
Pretty much my whole system is TOTL Sony ES:

XA7ES CD player
JA50ES minidisc
ZA5ES DAT deck (may not count since it was their only DAT deck at the time, and is definitely a step down from the 2000ES predecessor)
SA5ES tuner
E90ES preamp
N80ES amp (x2)
SS-M9 speakers
 
I have a sony tc-k555esr. a true, Japanese market only, top of the line cassette deck from 1988. it has the missing calibration tones and record eq settings that are missing from the tc-k333esr that we got in north America as the tc-k730es.
 
Just a couple components I have are probably top of the line. I'm not positive but I think the following are TOTL:

Adcom GFP-750 Preamp
JVC TD-V711 Cassette Deck
Hitachi D-980M (or something like that) Cassette Deck
Realistic QTA-770 Quadraphonic receiver (currently not working)

Not a huge collection but even my non TOTL stuff is pretty good I think.
 
for me it would be my fairchild 245/248 stereo preamplifier.definately totl of even all the tube steereo preamps that were out when it was.:smoke:
 
My Well Tempered "Amadeus" TT is certainly the very Top of the Line! It was the final pre-production prototype hand-built by Bill Firebaugh himself! Sounds great and is an interesting conversation piece.

After the Christmas and New Years Holidays, I hope to begin my final assault on a total (or near total) SOTA System. The goal will be to create a system that will compare favorably with several well known and impressive "No-Holds-Barred" systems here in the Pacific Northwest. I hope to not only end up with an impressive sound system, but be within an extreamly tight "Terry Olson Budget".
 
Heres some of the gear i have that was TOTL back in their day:

Kenwood KR-9600
Kenwood KA-9100 integrated amp
Kenwood KA-6000 integrated
Adcom GFA-565 monos
Yamaha CA-1010: was TOTL for a short while before CA-2010 came out.
Yamaha CT-1010 tuner
Yamaha C70 pre-amp
Pioneer CT-F1000 cassette deck
 
Nakamichi CD1 was the (IIRC) TOTL tape deck

Klipsch 5.5 were the totl KG speakers but certainly not the top Klipsch speaker

Pioneer SX - 1250
 
Back
Top Bottom