• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What do you own that is TOTL?

Revox B285 Integrated receiver
Revox B225 cd player
B215 cassette deck.

The B285 is a separates killer.
An incredibly fast dynamic amp.
Really great preamp half with an exceptionally good phono section.
I have heard it described as sounding slightly veiled, but have found that not to be the case.

The B226 cd player has a terrific Phillips CDM-1 transport and the superb TDA1541 DAC. A killer combination. The transport closing is reminiscent of a Mercedes door closing. Nuff said about that.

The B215 cassette player has 2 capstans on each side of the heads.
Each with its own direct drive motor. Count em -that's 4 direct drive motors. No stretchy unreliable belts here.
Smooth, smooth, smooth frequency response, hiss levels so low that they almost aren't there and overall clarity of sound.

In 1981 these 3 pieces cost as much as I paid for a brand spanking new 1981 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI.

Vintage yes, but Revox equipment aquits itself well and is as good or better then much of the current hi-fi available today.

In contrast, in it's time the Lenco L78s was another archaic dud idler drive turntable. Who knew.

Art
 
Last edited:
I think I have 3 pieces that are TOTL:

Nakamichi ZX-9
JVC TD-V711
Revox B-260 tuner.

Funny, they're all 'old school'.
 
My speakers: Sound Dynamics R-818 were the top in the reference series.

Denon PMA-2000IVR, they didn't have a series for this but probably the best int. amp they ever built besides the newer anniversary a-100

Yamaha A-1000, not too sure but might be consider TOTL
 
This with reference to the equipment in my signature listing below this post:

Yamaha GT 2000 was TOTL before the GT 2000x was released 3 years later.
Simaudio Moon LP 5.3 phono stage was their best phonostage when it was released.
The interconnect between the phono preamp and the Grounded Grid is TelluriumQ Graphite. Which is TelluriumQ's best interconnect.
KRK Expose E8B studio monitors are far and away KRK's best effort.
 
AR-XA
Mitsubishi DT-40S
Advent Maestros
Yamaha K-2000

Not sure if these are all TOTL units but, they are to Me!

John.:music::D
 
DIY Usher Aurum Cantus 3 way with Dayton crossovers.

As far as components it would be my Sansui tu-999

picture.php
 
Jico SAS stylus for my M91Ed.

I was thinking that was it but come to think of it, the SL1200Mk2 was TOTL when it was made. There were other 'lines' but as far as a consumer table goes, she was TOTL. I have a couple of those.
 
Burgerbob, define TOTL a little better, there is still a little confusion. I'm not sure if I'm confused or someone else is.:D

My list, filtered by my understanding of Burgerbob's intent, ie top of their own line, at time of their introduction:

Yamaha

C-70 x 2
T-70
T-80
M-70
K-2000
MX-1 (unsure about this one; are the MX-1 and MX-2 a line unto themselves?)


Technics

SU-V9
SA-GX730 (unsure about this. I think it was the most powerful and most expensive at the time of it's release) (Further research shows one concurrent model that was less powerful, but more expensive, and one that was equally powerful, but less expensive)


Sansui

Z-9000
SC-5330


Radio Shack

Mach Twos
LAB-500 x 2
LX-10s


Pioneer

SX-1010
CT-F1250
VSX-97 (unsure about this one. Haven't found much information on it)
QX-949A


DCM

Time Windows


Dahlquist

DQ-10s


Advent

Maestros
 
Last edited:
Pretty sure my Infinity QLS1's were in 1976.
My Yamaha P2200's were totl in 1977.
My Dynavector Karat 17DS might have been in 1982?
 
I guess these are two, no three:

Yamaha CA-1000 was top of Yamanha's integrated amp line in its day.

The Qysonic Array Tower speaker was the largest Qysonic available for the probably three years they were commercial.
At the time I acquired them, it was the ONLY model but nevermind that, I have the hand-built prototype. Smaller ones were soon available, and there is even an "Micro" that I also have. I wish I had the middle "Tad" model ...

Stax SR-Sigma I think was TOTL, at least it was the top electrostatic phone that my dealer carried.
 
I had a Revox B77 Reel to Reel , for about a week. It was a lease from a friend of mine.

Otherwise a dont have the funds for TOTL , old as new.

I got lots of stuff second third or fourth in row from top . These are often bargains because they are neglected from the must have totl bidders.
 
If they are the only one in the line, does that make them "top"?

My Jolida JD9 is the only phono amp Jolida sells. Also, my Shanling integrated amp was the only integrated they built (with their own name on it) when i bought it.

I'm pretty sure my Rotel RCD-991ae was TOL when it came out in the mid/late 90's.
 
If it's the only component of that type they made, and it's meant to be high level- then it's still TOTL.

Soundesign's top all-in-one doesn't count.
 
Back
Top Bottom