• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What do you pay for electricity per kWh these days?

My last bill was nearly $800 -- hence the tower speaker reference earlier. That's a breaking point for me at our flat 29.2 cents rate in NJ. According to AI, you can switch to a quality 3rd-party provider in our area, but the website makes it impossible to decipher rates or to see how to switch providers. I think they made intentionally complicated -- there is a ton of information on other providers on the website, just none of it is actionable or decipherable (just a huge grid of numbers and acronyms).

I tried calling customer support -- there is a 45 minute wait cue, but you can choose to have them call you back. I've done this with other support lines and they ALWAYS call you back. PSE&G did not call back yesterday, tried again today and so far still have not received a call back. They don't want you to switch, that seems clear.
 
Last edited:
For me, hard to decifer...

There are so many "periferal" charges added...when I went to look at our last bill, which I expected to be high due to A/C usage...there was some miniscule charge for EV vehicle usage! I have had a non-plug-in hybrid since 2012 (2), don't have an "EV" reg plate, what is THIS about? :mad:
 
Taking the total of recent bill and dividing by Kwh used... 43 cents. Includes all the silly crap they tack on so you haven't a clue what your paying.
 
For me, hard to decifer...

There are so many "periferal" charges added...when I went to look at our last bill, which I expected to be high due to A/C usage...there was some miniscule charge for EV vehicle usage! I have had a non-plug-in hybrid since 2012 (2), don't have an "EV" reg plate, what is THIS about? :mad:

II think they try to roughly estimate what the electricity is used for based upon the usage characteristics (to distinguish appliances, from AC, cooking, for example). Most EV chargers are scheduled to charge during the cheap off-peek hours (typically 12am-6am), so I think their AI model is calling any meaningful usage on your account during those hours "EV charging".

That's my guess any way.
 
I think I pay something like 21.9 yen, for first 300, then it goes up 1 yen, then next step hits 27.9. There are often government/city subsidies in peaks of unusually cold or hot weather so people can keep the air-conditioning going.
 
Well the electricity rate quadruples during "peak hours"... Monday through Friday 5 PM to 9 PM. So we usually turn the AC off for sure during most of that time.
Screenshot at 2026-08-14 22-06-06.png
 
Well the electricity rate quadruples during "peak hours"... Monday through Friday 5 PM to 9 PM. So we usually turn the AC off for sure during most of that time.
View attachment 3818808

You may find they off a fixed rate also that is somewhere in the middle.

If you have an EV, the variable is good because you can schedule it to charge off-peak.

Your model is pretty good in terms of broad off-peak hours -- in NJ, our off-peak is only from 12am - 6am and peak is from 4pm to 8:30PM.

For us fixed rate is less expensive at essentially 30 cents (29.3) all the timed. Our variable is 59.9 cents :(:( peak (4-8:30PM), 10 cents 12am-6am, 27.5 cents all other times)
 
I have solar power and make more power than I use during most months (except Aug & Sept). The excess power is fed back into the grid and goes into my "cumulative renewable energy bank" that I draw from if I use more than the 950 kWh average production. I do have to pay $11.93 in a base connectivity charge, $3.32 in "riders", and $1.67 in taxes- the total is $16.92 per month.
Between the Federal and State tax breaks/rebates they paid 45% of the cost. The Fed rebate is now much lower, but the State rebate is higher, so now we get a 40% break. My system ended up costing me $11K, which I paid for in cash.
 
Last edited:
GS-3 (Residential and Farm Time-of-Day Rate) $26.80 per month Facility Charge
On-peak - Energy Charge per kWh $0.17623
Off-peak - Energy Charge per kWh $0.06825

Summer average is around 115 a month, winter 150 with an all electric house.
 
In Texas, we can choose our provider and plan. We can switch providers whenever we feel like it.

As of today, there are 157 plans I can choose from for my residence.

Of those, 26 plans have an average cost of 11¢ per kWh or lower, for usage of 2000 kWh or greater (the lowest being 10.1¢). These values include energy charges and delivery charges, but not taxes. (Usage less than 2000 kWh will be about a half cent more per kWh).

Taxes usually add about another penny or so per kWh.

Plans range from 3 months to 3 years. You can cancel at any time. Cancelation fees differ depending upon the plan - could be anywhere from $15/remaining month, up to a potential set fee of a couple of hundred. (Perhaps something to consider when choosing a plan).

Companies offer relatively low rates to get you in, then when the initial plan expires, conveniently "move" you to a more expensive plan (say, like 15¢).

I change electric companies every time my initial plan expires. I find the lowest/best plan, switch, wait, and repeat.

I have changed electric companies about 40 times over the last 15 years.


My bill last month (July) was $373.18 for 3008 kWh, for an average of 12.4¢ per kWh, for a 3600 ft² residence that includes three A/C units. This included usage, taxes, fees, valve, stems, mounting, balancing, disposal, etc :)

It will be a higher total cost this month, as I expect to use over 4000 kWh for August, since we've had quite a few 100°F+ days so far in August. Still, not bad.....

The best months are usually Oct, Nov, March and April, where we tend to use only about 900 - 1200 kWh.
 
In Texas, we can choose our provider and plan. We can switch providers whenever we feel like it.

As of today, there are 157 plans I can choose from for my residence.

Of those, 26 plans have an average cost of 11¢ per kWh or lower, for usage of 2000 kWh or greater (the lowest being 10.1¢). These values include energy charges and delivery charges, but not taxes. (Usage less than 2000 kWh will be about a half cent more per kWh).

Taxes usually add about another penny or so per kWh.

Plans range from 3 months to 3 years. You can cancel at any time. Cancelation fees differ depending upon the plan - could be anywhere from $15/remaining month, up to a potential set fee of a couple of hundred. (Perhaps something to consider when choosing a plan).

Companies offer relatively low rates to get you in, then when the initial plan expires, conveniently "move" you to a more expensive plan (say, like 15¢).

I change electric companies every time my initial plan expires. I find the lowest/best plan, switch, wait, and repeat.

I have changed electric companies about 40 times over the last 15 years.


My bill last month (July) was $373.18 for 3008 kWh, for an average of 12.4¢ per kWh, for a 3600 ft² residence that includes three A/C units. This included usage, taxes, fees, valve, stems, mounting, balancing, disposal, etc :)

It will be a higher total cost this month, as I expect to use over 4000 kWh for August, since we've had quite a few 100°F+ days so far in August. Still, not bad.....

The best months are usually Oct, Nov, March and April, where we tend to use only about 900 - 1200 kWh.
I can't image using that much electricity - 4000 kWh in a month- WOW ! Is your house old and inefficient? We have a single level 2,500 sq ft home with a swamp cooler, a Mini-split in the living room and a window A/C in the west facing bedroom (hottest room in the house). I keep a spreadsheet to track my solar production/use to keep on top of it (or am I just being anal ?).

Our three year averages are: 700 kWh used in October through April, May through June we use just a bit more at 750 kWh, and July through September when we have the A/C in use we average 1,100 kWh. Our yearly average is 800 kWh per month and the system has averaged making 950 kWh per month... my "bank" is building up and I have about a years worth of use saved up before I would have to pay a normal bill.
 
Last edited:
I can't image using that much electricity - 4000 kWh in a month- WOW ! Is your house old and inefficient? We have a single level 2,500 sq ft home with a swamp cooler, a Mini-split in the living room and a window A/C in the west facing bedroom (hottest room in the house). I keep a spreadsheet to track my solar production/use to keep on top of it (or am I just being anal ?).

Our three year averages are: 700 kWh used in October through April, May through June we use just a bit more at 750 kWh, and July through September when we have the A/C in use we average 1,100 kWh. Our yearly average is 800 kWh per month and the system has averaged making 950 kWh per month... my "bank" is building up and I have about a years worth of use saved up before I would have to pay a normal bill.
.
Built in 1993. Not inefficient, but not overly efficient. Very typical of all houses built in this area (DFW) in the early to mid 1990s.

Two stories. 20', 15' and 10' ceilings. Over 3600 sq ft. That's a lot of volume to cool. What is your volume? The most I have ever used is 4529 kWh, the least is 849, with an average of 1863 kWh.

Three HVAC A/C central units - a 4-ton for downstairs, a 3-ton for upstairs, and a 1.8-ton for the master suite. (no window units, swamp coolers, etc.)

When it's this hot, we cool it to about 76° inside. Add in all the other stuff - washer/dryer, lights, security lighting, TVs, 7 stereo systems throughout the house, ceiling fans, her hair dryers, curling irons, stovetop, oven, etc etc.

We have had eleven 100°F+ days just in August so far - and the other four days have been highs of 98°F+. We haven't seen a low temperature this month less than 83°F so far. The forecast for the next 14 days shows 100°F+ each day. It's been 30 days since we had any rain, so that ain't helping either.

Some years are hotter than others. Last year we had only seven 100°F days - all summer.

And no - you're not being anal. I have kept a spreadsheet since 2009 of monthly usage data. In addition, if you have a smart meter, https://www.smartmetertexas.com/home is a useful tool. It currently shows I'm at an average of 129.6 kWh/day in August, so if I'm lucky, I'll only make it to 3888 kWh in August......

Saying that, I'm more than willing to use electricity - rates are lower here that most other places, and I didn't work for 40 years just to not spend money during retirement. I'm going to be comfortable. And since I haven't had any debt for 30+ years, I'm not too worried about the cost of this utility.
 
About 13-cents/kWh in the Phoenix metro area.

Electricity is reasonable........WATER is where they kill ya. Minimum water bill is $80/mo.
 
You may find they off a fixed rate also that is somewhere in the middle.

If you have an EV, the variable is good because you can schedule it to charge off-peak.

Your model is pretty good in terms of broad off-peak hours -- in NJ, our off-peak is only from 12am - 6am and peak is from 4pm to 8:30PM.

For us fixed rate is less expensive at essentially 30 cents (29.3) all the timed. Our variable is 59.9 cents :(:( peak (4-8:30PM), 10 cents 12am-6am, 27.5 cents all other times)
Our utility bill is actually pretty good. When we lived in an apartment they would charge us $100 a month for gas, water, etc. We just had to get the electric bill in our name. In the summer our electric bill was $120. We would run the one AC unit all day long. Now our total utility bill was $200 last month. So that is actually less than we were paying before. I have no issue with turning off the AC for a couple of hours around 5 PM. Not a big deal. And at night we just blow all the hot air out with fans. It works.
 
.
Built in 1993. Not inefficient, but not overly efficient. Very typical of all houses built in this area (DFW) in the early to mid 1990s.

Two stories. 20', 15' and 10' ceilings. Over 3600 sq ft. That's a lot of volume to cool. What is your volume? The most I have ever used is 4529 kWh, the least is 849, with an average of 1863 kWh.

Three HVAC A/C central units - a 4-ton for downstairs, a 3-ton for upstairs, and a 1.8-ton for the master suite. (no window units, swamp coolers, etc.)

When it's this hot, we cool it to about 76° inside. Add in all the other stuff - washer/dryer, lights, security lighting, TVs, 7 stereo systems throughout the house, ceiling fans, her hair dryers, curling irons, stovetop, oven, etc etc.

We have had eleven 100°F+ days just in August so far - and the other four days have been highs of 98°F+. We haven't seen a low temperature this month less than 83°F so far. The forecast for the next 14 days shows 100°F+ each day. It's been 30 days since we had any rain, so that ain't helping either.

Some years are hotter than others. Last year we had only seven 100°F days - all summer.

And no - you're not being anal. I have kept a spreadsheet since 2009 of monthly usage data. In addition, if you have a smart meter, https://www.smartmetertexas.com/home is a useful tool. It currently shows I'm at an average of 129.6 kWh/day in August, so if I'm lucky, I'll only make it to 3888 kWh in August......

Saying that, I'm more than willing to use electricity - rates are lower here that most other places, and I didn't work for 40 years just to not spend money during retirement. I'm going to be comfortable. And since I haven't had any debt for 30+ years, I'm not too worried about the cost of this utility.
Our house was built in 2007, is 2,500 sq ft, and has a pain in the arse 15' ceiling in the entryway (try resetting the smoke detector up there) 11' ceiling in the kitchen, while the bedroom and living room ceilings are all sloped, 8.5' to 11' - just high enough that I have to use a big arse ladder to change light bulbs. The swamp cooler works well when the "monsoon" is held at bay, but we have to turn on the mini split in the living room on the hottest afternoons. We too have had several 100F+ days, but it has mostly been averaging 97F with a 45F dew point- just on the verge of being sticky. The window unit in the west bedroom is used mainly at night if someone is staying over, otherwise it is off unless we're working in that room. Only five stereo systems are set up and running (one at a time !) We try to keep the temp at 78F in the day and 75F at night, and have the ceiling fans in every room running non stop.
 
Back
Top Bottom