• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

What happened to this Marantz?

Register to hide this ad
Reminds me of the old Marantz magazine ads showing their receiver that survived a fire and still worked.
 
Smoke and heat damage. I always knew Marantz were HOT but never saw one like this :)
 
Probably this one after some decades of neglect...


1974_Marantz_fire_ad.jpg
 
That looks like a challenge to me! I've got a WC-22, AM antenna, and knobs. My only concern is the paint and whether it can be removed without destroying the faceplate. Hmmm...I might bid.
 
Looks like it was painted black. The push buttons are black too.

I'm thinking no fire, just abused.

Rob
 
The one in the ad works, at least... I wouldn't be surprised if the one on that auction site with the crappy case delivered DOA...
 
The starting bid is perhaps all I would give.He says it works but definately needs work and getting the knobs is going to cost more than $50.Actually $30 may be my limit.
 
Smoke damage maybe, heat, not so sure since the front clear panel and inner panels aren't melted or distorted.

Looks to me like a unit that lost its metal cover, sat outside in a shed. The corrosion and general filth inside the chassis looks formidable. I would be especially concerned about the tuner sections and the variable capacitor and how well they would clean up. It is an international voltage unit though.

As for the front panel, looks like maybe someone went amok with a sharpie pen coloring things black. IIRC that would come off with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser or denatured alcohol. I dunno, cosmetically, I don't think it would be hard to clean up, knob costs aside. But operationally, a lot more work.

Nice receiver in general though. Hmm, located in California, maybe a local pickup for some to prevent further shipping damage?
 
Probably this one after some decades of neglect...


1974_Marantz_fire_ad.jpg

I never believed (the particulars) of that ad, even when it came out. Maybe he (Mr. Espina) was looking to Marantz to cover his deductible with a nice new "2270"!?

Why did the fire skip over his turntable, speakers, tools to attach AC cords and even his headphones? Was he wearing them when he ran out of the house?

Or maybe he did all this long after the fire perhaps? I know he says "remained buried in debris and water until March", still. :scratch2: :D

It's the story I have a problem with. I am completely convinced that a Simi Valley Marantz could endure a fire and water, and still work.

I think I've drug home a few! :D

Jim
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom