• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What happened to this Marantz?

Smoke damage maybe, heat, not so sure since the front clear panel and inner panels aren't melted or distorted.

Looks to me like a unit that lost its metal cover, sat outside in a shed. The corrosion and general filth inside the chassis looks formidable. I would be especially concerned about the tuner sections and the variable capacitor and how well they would clean up. It is an international voltage unit though.

As for the front panel, looks like maybe someone went amok with a sharpie pen coloring things black. IIRC that would come off with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser or denatured alcohol. I dunno, cosmetically, I don't think it would be hard to clean up, knob costs aside. But operationally, a lot more work.

Nice receiver in general though. Hmm, located in California, maybe a local pickup for some to prevent further shipping damage?

Bart, the seller says he is 3.5 hours away from the L.A. area. He didn't say specifically where. Local pickup is out of the question for me.

The 2285B had a different WC-22. This version has differently located pass through holes for the rear feet. And it is made out of cabinet grade plywood rather than particle board. When fitted with the WC-22, the 2285B did not have a metal cover so the internal components are totally exposed to the elements.

BTW, older WC-22's can be fitted to the 2285B but you will have to drill new holes in the bottom plate for the rear feet. When installed, it looks totally stock.
 
Reminds me of the old Marantz magazine ads showing their receiver that survived a fire and still worked.

+1 Yes! I was thinking of the same thing, and looking at the nudie picture, I'm very surprised that it still works. That is a perfect demonstration of the quality of the vintage gear....
 
I never believed (the particulars) of that ad, even when it came out. Maybe he (Mr. Espina) was looking to Marantz to cover his deductible with a nice new "2270"!?

Why did the fire skip over his turntable, speakers, tools to attach AC cords and even his headphones? Was he wearing them when he ran out of the house?

Or maybe he did all this long after the fire perhaps? I know he says "remained buried in debris and water until March", still. :scratch2: :D

It's the story I have a problem with. I am completely convinced that a Simi Valley Marantz could endure a fire and water, and still work.

I think I've drug home a few! :D

Jim

If the at least 3 story building burned down, the city and landlord and fire dept. have to get the investigation done and then insurance and arrangements before demolition. Given Rhode Island in the winter (before March) and who's gonna do demo during the snow? So likely at least 3, maybe up to 5 months?

Meanwhile, Mr. Espina has to move to a new apartment and probably got some type of insurance settlement if he was covered (Good Hands?) or proceeded to rebuild his life and his stereo anyway. If you can afford a 2270, probably could buy new gear. So, IMO, perfectly possible to have a work table with some basic tools to work on his refound gear.

What gets me is if it dropped again from 20 feet, there's got to be some dents there, maybe the whole back panel? But yeah, gear was built to a great standard.
 
Looks like the Bay Marantz was a car garage system. I remember seeing stacks of vintage stereos in car repair shops covered in oil and grease.
 
Back
Top Bottom