• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What song do you want played at your funeral?

I've actually thought of this, but in a different way. I was thinking about putting together a "set list" of music preceding my service. The setlist has changed a lot over the years, but basically it would be a collection of music that has persisted through my life. Probably some of the following

Summer, by WAR
Time Loves a Hero, Little Feat
On Broadway, George Benson
Riders on the Storm, The Doors
Something by Pink Floyd, Lucinda Williams, and John Hiatt, too

Then the service can start. :)

I'm of a similar mind. I was at a funeral about a year ago and it struck me that there was a lot of music played both prior to and during the service, and that it was all pretty awful. There is a lot of time to kill at these services, and to subject my mourners to that kind of awful funeral music would not be right. So while I was sitting there waiting for the service to begin I started thinking along similar lines to what you've done.

I decided I wanted music that was both what I liked and had something to say about my life. I haven't made my list yet (probably should, since you never know...) but I know there would be a lot of Steely Dan on it... and no sappy stuff. The playlist would be what I would like to be listening to if I had to sit there.
 
First of all, don't plant me in the ground. What would happen if I sprouted and you had a sphincter tree? Give anything that still works to someone who needs it, burn the rest up and dump the ashes out in the woods where I love to run.

If there's to be some kind of memorial service then definitely go with "Amazing Grace" on the pipes. Follow it up with "Spirit in the Sky" and then "Don't Worry, Be Happy". Let everybody walk out with that in their head.

Ray
 
Led Zep "Stairway to Heaven" followed by Skynyrd's "Free Bird"

Then strip me naked, screw me into the ground and use by ass as a bicycle rack.
 
The complete, "Ring" cycle. Very loudly. Needless to say, I don't really want a funeral. This would be the punishment for my family if they give me one. Just toss me in the ditch and let me rot.
 
Funeral for a Friend/ Love Lies Bleeding - Elton John
Live Forever - Billy Joe Shaver
Comanche (the brave horse) - Johnny Horton
The Green Green Grass of Home - Tom Jones
The Class of '57 had it's Dreams - The Statler Brothers

Previously mentioned:
Spinning Wheel - Blood Sweat and Tears
Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum

I can't die til I think of an appropriate song from Pink Floyd.
 
What I have actually told Mrs. Summer I want played at my funeral celebration is the same tune the organist played as the recessional for our wedding, "The Agincourt Hymn" by John Dunstable.

At the family plot on the banks of the Red River, as the ashes are picked up by the wind, a set of Highland Pipes playing "Amazing Grace" is also on the playlist.

I want a twenty one gun salute, too... but only with champagne bottles. :yes:

Oops forgot one. "Wondrous Love".
 
A fascinating thread, and a question I've never given a moments thought to. Either Wipeout or Louie, Louie I guess.


If there's a song titled "A Lot Of The Other Answers Almost Made Me Puke", throw that one on too.
 
Miles Davis version of Concierto De Aranjuez (Adagio) (to lull them to death)
then
Shades Of Sennett (Mancini, from Pink Panther soundtrack) and
Yakety Sax
 
If I can get the mourners attention for a couple more songs.........

Colonel Bogey (the real name of the theme from The Bridge On The River Kwai), whistled by either The Vienna Boys, or Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Here Comes The Bride
 
Back
Top Bottom