• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What was the the last audio-related item you purchased?

My first thought was will Conrad protect the crosspoint name as much as one aker protected the third / in the proper spelling of the logo using the slash, a/d/s/. Then I looked for a list of crosspoint drivers and wiki did not have crosspoint but the Cross like Philips is one many Cruciform shaped drivers.


I’m not getting into that but will mention again that the Milwaukee Philips #2 bits grab many JIS screws very nicely and are readily available. Not for the very small JIS screws for sure.
Well, that will teach me to type from memory. I once did a deep dive into JIS and other standards and things aren't as cut and dried as you might hope. Because of variations in patterns, intentional and unintentional, my best advice is to use what fits best. If it doesn't have rotational slop doesn't' want to cam out and doesn't damage the screw, it's the right size no matter what's printed on it. Something interesting is that Vessel JIS screwdrivers are claimed to fit ALL types of screws properly. JIS DRIVE
 
how did you rinse it out?
Just set it on its side and sprayed using a spray bottle really close up. Once I was completely done cleaning, used compressed air to clean things out, wiped down anything that was left, and sat it out in the sun.


Edit: oh do you mean the simple green? It's a mild solution, I didn't bother rinsing with water after. I think the spraying up closed caused a lot of agitation and is part of the reason it worked so well.
 
Just set it on its side and sprayed using a spray bottle really close up. Once I was completely done cleaning, used compressed air to clean things out, wiped down anything that was left, and sat it out in the sun.


Edit: oh do you mean the simple green? It's a mild solution, I didn't bother rinsing with water after. I think the spraying up closed caused a lot of agitation and is part of the reason it worked so well.
thank you sir!
 
I got the BUF this afternoon and initial impressions are very good except for one thing: Make darn sure your amplifier is turned completely off before turning the BUF on or off, or switching the gain (not just turned all the way down). I was greeted by some seriously loud speaker pops when I did this with mine :mad: (I have the output from a Parasound P6 preamp going into the BUF and the output of the BUF going into an Onkyo M-508 amp, with Dynaco A25 speakers. I only have an FM tuner and CD player hooked up right now).

It takes the edge off CD playback nicely, and adds a bit of smooth tube to the FM... me likey !



BUF 002.jpg
 
Last edited:
Make darn sure your amplifier is turned completely off before turning the BUF on or off, or switching the gain (not just turned all the way down). I was greeted by some seriously loud speaker pops when I did this with mine
Would be nice to have a proper tape monitor or processor loop while dialing in the Buf. Then once you know the settings and don’t need to change them it can feed the amp directly. Or speaker switches, input level controls on the amp.
 
Edit: oh do you mean the simple green? It's a mild solution, I didn't bother rinsing with water after. I think the spraying up closed caused a lot of agitation and is part of the reason it worked so well.

Simple Green isn't as mild as it sounds. It's pretty highly corrosive to aluminum in particular when it sits without rinsing. Hopefully just drying it was sufficient, but I'd recommend rinsing with water just to make sure any residue is gone. It doesn't cause any issues in short-term exposure, but it does when it sits on a surface for a long time. There is an Aircraft version of Simple Green that is not corrosive.

Below is a cut & paste from AI (I know AI isn't perfect, but I think it's correct here)

Yes, standard Simple Green (All-Purpose Cleaner) can be corrosive to certain electronic components, particularly aluminum and magnesium, due to its alkaline pH and water-based formula. While effective at cleaning, it can cause pitting, white oxidation blotches on metal, and damage circuit boards if not thoroughly rinsed and dried immediately.
Key Considerations:
  • Aluminum/Copper Risk: The alkaline nature can react with aluminum, causing pitting and corrosion.
  • Water-Based Dangers: As a water-based product, it can cause rust or leave residue if it seeps into connectors and is not fully dried.
  • Safe Alternatives: For electronics, specialized products like Extreme Simple Green Aircraft & Precision Cleaner are non-corrosive and safer for sensitive metals, plastics, and alloys.
  • Best Practices: If you must use it, dilute it heavily, keep contact time under 10 minutes, and ensure the component is 100% dry before power-on. [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]
For cleaning electronics, it is strongly advised to use alcohol-based cleaners or approved, specialized electronics cleaners rather than standard household degreasers.
 
Ordered last week, arrived today. I haven't yet powered it up; it's supposed to be mostly working but with a small imbalance between channels.
Yamaha%20CR-1020%20Receiver%20as%20received-X3.jpg


-Pat
 
I haven't purchased any actual audio stuff in years, but my trusty EMU0202 no longer played well with my current OS, so I bought a Scarlett 2i2 for ripping LPs and such.
 
Five great M- CDs. $8 including a Bob Dylan double greatest hits album. $2.

Another one is a M- CD of birds singing like complete songs or something. Like about 25 different birds. Kind of a bird listening thing. Got it for my wife, she didn't want it, that's ok, right in my collection it went!! Haven't played it yet. Glad I got it!! $1.
 
I ordered a ZeroStat gun. I'm skeptical but a friend swears by his. We'll see. I also bought a service manual and four feet for the Marantz. Next will be anti-static sleeves but I'm not sure how many I need. I have noticed that the albums I have that are sleeved are much quieter than the others. Some of my albums have been sitting in paper sleeves for fifty years.
 
Back
Top Bottom