• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What was your first method of listening to music?

Register to hide this ad
Either FM radio (parent's "console" thing) IN the house or AM radio IN a car. Or maybe some sorta table-top or mobile transistor radio. har to recall back THAT far. But as for my first "critical (purposeful?) listening" to material I selected to hear, definitely my first TT and LPs and/or 45s, though many more LPs than 45s. Wasn't then (or later/ever) a fan of having to jump up and change records every 2-3 minutes. But I still managed to collect ~700-800 45s by the time of my mid-point adolescence.
 
A green vinyl covered cardboard am/fm transistor portable radio with a hand strap. The size of a size 6 shoe box. 1968.
 
Airline_01.jpg


Airline_02.jpg


I still have it. To this day, I don't understand the attraction to hisssssy ticky poppy vinyl.
 
My father bought it ~1967:

IMG_0479_zpsyyej9xib.jpg


IMG_0482_zpsu3i6uz59.jpg


IMG_0481_zpskeomfktz.jpg


IMG_0480_zpslxoqmgsh.jpg



The old BSR record changer is long gone. The Dual is something I did for them last year. I had to make a separate mounting board (the stain didn't quite match, but it was what I had available at the time).

It still plays quite nice.


Edit: Added pics of actual unit.



......
 

Attachments

  • 3066431462_d28ecea537_b.jpg
    3066431462_d28ecea537_b.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 3067910647_f432813afc_b.jpg
    3067910647_f432813afc_b.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 3068766680_0677fe45a7_b.jpg
    3068766680_0677fe45a7_b.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Of course there was AM radio in the car, and a tabletop AM radio in the kitchen that was on during breakfast every day for news/weather and music. Parents had a big old console (well it wasn't old back then) in the living room, but they didn't use it much.

My first personal piece was a portable hand-held 9v AM transistor radio--IIRC, an Emerson. Then I was given a Philco "suitcase" record player a few years later. It's all been "downhill" since then ;)
 
I guess it was a Grundig Yacht Boy 202. Was always on in the dining room since from when I was a baby into my teens. The first device of my own was a Lloyd's clock radio
 
Mom's portable, leather bound AM radio. Top 40 ALL DAY! Started listening about 1957 or so. It lasted until the late 1960's. It was replaced by another AM radio.
 
Granddad had a Magnavox console - AM/FM, 33/45/78 TT, dual speakers; all done in a dark walnut veneer. Spent hours listening to the radio and Granddad's country western girlfriend Patsy Cline.

When Grandma wanted to listen to her classical records, Granddad and I usually found something to work on in the shop. ;)

6182178384_1dde115773_b.jpg
 
Last edited:
Little 9V transistor radio under the pillow at night.

That was also my habit with a device that I actually owned, but my dad bought a Sears and Roebuck console in the early 60s that I often used for vinyl playback of my parents' records. Gogi Grant singing The Wayward Wind, Marty Robbins' El Paso, Frankie Lane's Mule Train, Tennessee Ernie Ford's Sixteen Tons, an Elvis compilation, and Andy William's Greatest Hits, and much more. The first album I ever bought for myself was The Association with Windy. My first 45 single, prior to that, was Otis' Dock of the Bay.

Those were the days, my friend. We thought they'd never end.
 
Last edited:
My dads Zenith console with a big satellite speaker. I'm not even sure it was a true stereo, but it served him until he bought his first real system.
 
Koss headphones through family's Bogen tube receiver. Can't remember what record player we had. BSR? This was before I appreciated vintage gear. I wish I had kept that receiver.
 
Back
Top Bottom