• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's Your Favorite Tuner?

The little Sony.

1344794626937.jpg
 
If I could have any of the tuners I own, or have owned, it would be the Realistic TM-1001. It would be for sentimental reasons (my first tuner), for its great FM performance, and for the available upgrades from White Oak Audio.

That's interesting that White Oak Audio is offering upgrades for the TM-1001, thanks for the info.:thmbsp:

I have a Realistic TM-1001 that's in excellent condition and I also have a excellent condition Sansui TU-7900, both have been completely re-capped although I favor the
Sansui tuner over the Realistic just a little more.


The little Sony.

I also have the Sony XDR-F1HD and it is number 1 out of all my tuners and for many reasons, somebody really needs to bring this tuner back into the market either in an
equivalent or in an upgraded designed model at an affordable price.
 
My favourite would have to be the Yamaha T-2:

9617108998_95c6eb2531_b_d.jpg


It looks very elegant, sounds amazing on a good broadcast and has very good sensitivity and selectivity. The best tuner I've heard so far.

Regards,
Nick
Absolutely one of the very best. And you have one of the uber-rare silver models. :thmbsp:

But, as good as my recapped T-2 was (recapped when Black Gates were still available and I was stupid to have sold), the Accuphase T-106 in stock form is the best I've owned.
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • T-106.JPG
    T-106.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 271
My favorite tuner. It's been my favorite tuner since I acquired it from Mike Williams a couple years ago and I have expectations that it always will be:yes:.
 

Attachments

  • mitsu-denon-tu9900 007.jpg
    mitsu-denon-tu9900 007.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 52
Of the tuners I've owned personally so far I'd out them in order of: Revox B160 (just astounding in every way), Yamaha CT-1010 (modded by Mike) and then the Scott 333b tube unit. In many ways my preference on any given day depends on the station I'm listening to and gear it is playing with. Some tuners just seem to sound a bit better with certain stations or play more nicely with one set of gear than another.
 
For a relatively inexpensive tuner I must say the Yamaha ct-600 has a very nice soundstage with sweet bass.
 
Even the CT-610II - which is full of empty inside :-P - sounds good and sells (and rightfully so) for a pittance. I think I paid $30 for mine, in like-new condition and good working order.

The CT-600 is almost certainly better... if nothing else, it has more stuff inside it than the CT-610II! :-)

CT-600 (borrowed photos from someone here on AK IIRC):


CT-600 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

CT600upsidedown by mhardy6647, on Flickr

CT-610II:


CT610II by mhardy6647, on Flickr
 
I have two that I like and am not sure I could choose one over the other. Good thing I don't have to: the first one is downstairs in the living room; the second is upstairs in the master bedroom.

TU-919_zps69230296.jpg


Note, the digital display has since been fixed. The replacement IC cost about $25 including shipping and about an hour of my time to remove the original IC and replace it with a DIP socket for the new one.

Magnum_Dynalab_FT-101A_zpse258f048.jpg~original
 
$39.99 at Goodwill for a Magnum Dynalab? Are you kidding me? You must have been very good in a previous life. I have yet to see a tuner at Goodwill and there are two of them that I go by every week.
 
$39.99 at Goodwill for a Magnum Dynalab? Are you kidding me? You must have been very good in a previous life. I have yet to see a tuner at Goodwill and there are two of them that I go by every week.

Or maybe I'm just really lucky when it comes to finding great tuners at my local Goodwill stores. I got the Dynalab almost exactly a year after the Sansui TU-919. Good thing I still like listening to good old over-the-air FM.

I see a lot of tuners at my local Goodwill stores, but most are cheap later quartz synthesized tuners. On the other hand, I have yet to find a decent preamp, integrated amp, or power amplifier at any of my local Goodwill stores.
 
I think I need some of those price stickers to fool the wife! Well done Sir!

No wife, so no fake stickers needed. But, that did make me laugh out loud.

My girlfriend actually encourages my habit. She loves the look (and sound) of the Dynaco A25 speakers I picked up last Sunday. Of course, my first instinct is to always want to restore everything to like new condition. She loves the look of the 40-45 year old Dynacos as is, with their sun faded, slightly distressed cabinets. She's into the whole Restoration Hardware deconstructed furniture look and the Dynacos fit right in with that style. So, less work for me. She's happy, I'm happy, everybody's happy. Life is good!
 
Can't argue with any of the tuners on this thread, some of which are drool worthy! Right now I have a cheapo Kenwood KT-58 but I've always been partial to the blue Pioneers and Marantz tuners such as the TX-9100 or 105B. I'm always looking for a nice analog KW or Trio to match my KA-4002. (pics from the web)
 

Attachments

  • pioneer_tx-9100_stereo_tuner.jpg
    pioneer_tx-9100_stereo_tuner.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Marantz_105B_Tuner_Front_2012.jpg
    Marantz_105B_Tuner_Front_2012.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
My favorite tuner I own is my McIntosh TM2. Not only does it sound really nice,but it picks up my HD jazz station.
 
Fisher 100B or that is what is in my Fisher 400. Best sounding tuner of the 38 separate tuners I owned. Plenty of sensitivity, the best tube multiplexer too.
 
Back
Top Bottom