• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's Your Favorite Tuner?

^^^That is VERY high praise for the Magnum Dynalab. That particular Sansui ranked just a bit below the Tu-X1, even calling it "the Prince that would be King", or something to that effect!
 
Some very nice tuners shown here, but my favorites are of course mine.
Philips 673
Sony XDR-F1HD

The Philips has a very nice AM section too bad there isn't really anything to listen to on AM anymore, well except maybe the Dodgers...
 
I have been looking for a good tuner for a while now, there are lots of nice macs and and a few accuphase for sale , but the prices are fairly high in my area . I was looking for a good tuner that will not break the bank . I came across a Kenwood KT 8300 on ebay the other day . I won the bid @ $169 and its local so I am picking it up today, its not mint but looks fairly good shape a few minor scuffs, but is supposed to be 100% functional . I will post back later with result,s .
 
I have two favourites:

Sherwood 2100 II
Heathkit AJ-1510A

The Sherwood has both AM and FM and unlike some areas, we still have a few good AM stations. The FM section is better than the already good FM in my H. H. Scott 340B receiver due to the use of a switching rather than a matrix MPX decoder and is slightly better in sensitivity. They made some weird changes to the output stage in going from the S2100 to the S2100 II version to make it more compatible with low input impedance amplifiers, but I can work around that.

The Heathkit is a futuristic design and it seems strange saying that about a tuner that is 41 years old. I wrote up an extensive blurb on DIYaudio about how to rebuild it because unlike most Heathkits, this was designed with a few design errors and missed opportunities. When you listen to it, you cannot mistake it for another tuner, so it does colour the sound a bit, but the good RF performance and interesting user interface and the fact that it is repairable more than makes up for it.
 
Well I picked up my Kenwood tuner yesterday I am very pleased with it . It sounds great , pulls in stations really good all the lights and meters work perfect and the alignment is right on the money .there is one small scuff on the front but not too noticeable . I think is was money well spent .
 

Attachments

  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 42
Congrats on getting the Kenwood 8300!

Thanks to a fellow AK'er, I picked up a Kenny 8007 recently and have really been enjoying its sound - rich and full, with a wide and deep soundstage.
 
Thanks, the 8007 looks like a nice tuner . This is my first Kenwood purchase I think I will keep an eye out for more Kenwood stuff .
 
I guess my current tuner is also my favorite: a Revox B260-S. A versatile beats with 60 presets, the possibility to set the gain for each preset, twin antenna inputs, output (BNC) for a scope etc. etc. The jury is still doubts the looks though, especially the gold accents.

ReVox-B-200-S-Turm-Pre-End-8.jpg


Shared second place is for my Yamaha T-7 and my Optonica ST-9100.
 
My favorites in order:

Sansui TU-9900
Rotel RT-1024
Pioneer TX-9500ll
Sansui TU-717
Sansui TU-517
Setton TUS600
 
Mine was my Stromberg Carlson. Now it isn't working so well. my second favorite is my Motorola preamp tuner with the round tuning dials.
 
My lowly Technics ST-Z35 analog tuner. It stays tuned to the local college station but has a very nice open and airy sound. Great soundstage as well. Nothing fancy, just good sound.
 
Well, I ain't going to win prizes in any "originality" contest, but right now my favourite tuner is my Onkyo T-9990 (European T-9090 II) I picked up from a German bay for a reasonable price (about $240, shipping included, but no remote control). Very good condition, no scratches, looks pristine (for a black Onkyo box, granted), luckily, the display lights up with plenty of little lights to fight the otherwise general boredom. This tuner is in Belgium, weekend place.
I have a remote control from the Onkyo T-4700 (in my Netherlands weekday residence), I hope that one works on the T-9990, I'll find out this weekend.
The only problem I've encountered with the T-9990 is that, yep, it loses the memorized stations (same problem as in my T-4700). I've kept the T-9990 on for an entire weekend, in the hope that will charge up the memory function.
On the T-4700, the problem seems now to have gone away, by keeping the radio working for a long time, with its power line NOT plugged into the amplifier (but turning off the tuner separately, in a clean "on/off" action; this contrary to the easier option of turning off the amplifier with plugged-in tuner cord, which is easier to do as you only push one single button to turn everything off).
The motivation behind this is that I've read on http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/onkyo.html that, somehow, the memory loss (of those "Gold" something capacitors) would be triggered by them not being turned off fast enough, giving them time to discharge. I say this for what it's worth...
But...that tuner pulls in stations very well, same as my T-4700 and same as my T-4310R (which has the added convenience of RDS).
Why Onkyo? Well, my hifi line is all Onkyo...
Paul
 
Absolutely one of the very best. And you have one of the uber-rare silver models. :thmbsp:

But, as good as my recapped T-2 was (recapped when Black Gates were still available and I was stupid to have sold), the Accuphase T-106 in stock form is the best I've owned.
attachment.php
I have the T-2 in Black.I like it!:thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom