• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's your latest audio purchase?

I was out and about today with my old Air Force buddy and we went to the only decent audio store here in ABQ where you can audition equipment (kind of limited selection, but not bad) ... Long story short, a pair of beautiful Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G in Ash veneer ended up in my office. These were lightly used demo's that they had just started taking down to be replaced with the new Silver 500 8G next week (IIRC they put these up about 2-3 months ago). Anyway, the deal was too good to pass up at $1500 (60% off)... I like these a lot better than the Silver 300's I bought a few weeks ago (which are probably going to be sent back). The SQ of these babies is excellent, much more balance between the tweeter and midrange than previous models.

The "Attach Files" feature is not working right now so you'll have to use your imagination, but they match very well with the thick maple shelves on my Butcher Block Acoustics rack.
 
Last edited:
Thanks, I will say that it helps having a very tolerant wife!

Mike
Grabbed another RCA. This one has bad HUM like I have read about. Someone modded it too...has a toggle switch on the back for an external speaker hook up. Not able to post pics.......
 
I was out and about today with my old Air Force buddy and we went to the only decent audio store here in ABQ where you can audition equipment (kind of limited selection, but not bad) ... Long story short, a pair of beautiful Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G in Ash veneer ended up in my office. These were lightly used demo's that they had just started taking down to be replaced with the new Silver 500 8G next week (IIRC they put these up about 2-3 months ago). Anyway, the deal was too good to pass up at $1500 (60% off)... I like these a lot better than the Silver 300's I bought a few weeks ago (which are probably going to be sent back). The SQ of these babies is excellent, much more balance between the tweeter and midrange than previous models.

The "Attach Files" feature is not working right now so you'll have to use your imagination, but they match very well with the thick maple shelves on my Butcher Block Acoustics rack.
So they say the picture upload issue has been resolved, so let me give it a try:

12 001.jpg12 002.jpg
 
So they say the picture upload issue has been resolved, so let me give it a try:

View attachment 3826360View attachment 3826361
I'm in the process of doing some major modifications to the "office", I've been busting my arse all day moving junk put of there (speakers were moved onto shelves in the garage, other stuff went right to the dumpster, I'm going to take a bunch of BPC to Goodwill this week to get it out of my way. I've got to move around some of the sound absorption panels and maybe add a few more. Amazon is delivering a cut to fit filter for the window to keep dust/dirt sand (what we call the "Enchantment" in the land of Enchantment) and I'm going to put some tint on the glass to block the sun from beating down on the speaker and turntable, just minor things like that. I haven't got it hooked up yet- hence all the loose cables you see strewn about.

The basic idea was to move the stereo so that it faces the long dimension of the room (12 feet) instead of the short side like it was (10 feet) it gives me a bit more listening space and frees up the room for overnight guests if they are willing to try an air mattress !

20-001.jpg20-002.jpg
 
I'm in the process of doing some major modifications to the "office", I've been busting my arse all day moving junk put of there (speakers were moved onto shelves in the garage, other stuff went right to the dumpster, I'm going to take a bunch of BPC to Goodwill this week to get it out of my way. I've got to move around some of the sound absorption panels and maybe add a few more. Amazon is delivering a cut to fit filter for the window to keep dust/dirt sand (what we call the "Enchantment" in the land of Enchantment) and I'm going to put some tint on the glass to block the sun from beating down on the speaker and turntable, just minor things like that. I haven't got it hooked up yet- hence all the loose cables you see strewn about.

The basic idea was to move the stereo so that it faces the long dimension of the room (12 feet) instead of the short side like it was (10 feet) it gives me a bit more listening space and frees up the room for overnight guests if they are willing to try an air mattress !

View attachment 3832448View attachment 3832449


Those speakers look a LOT like Soliloquy 5.3 or 6.3 speakers -- but I don't see the logo at the bottom of the grill and the threaded feet may be slightly different (hard to tell with lowish res photo). Are those Soliloquy's or something else?
 
Latest received is a Harman Kardon Three Thirty Nocturne in nice condition in a wood case. Incoming is a working and tested with some minor repair HK 730 Twin, metal cased with some scratches on the case itself, and some light scratching on the faceplate that looks like it can be minimized with some effort. Dial lights work, but tuning needle and power button need lights. I ended up on a bit of a HK roll again.
 
Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G
I'm in the process of doing some major modifications to the "office", I've been busting my arse all day moving junk put of there (speakers were moved onto shelves in the garage, other stuff went right to the dumpster, I'm going to take a bunch of BPC to Goodwill this week to get it out of my way. I've got to move around some of the sound absorption panels and maybe add a few more. Amazon is delivering a cut to fit filter for the window to keep dust/dirt sand (what we call the "Enchantment" in the land of Enchantment) and I'm going to put some tint on the glass to block the sun from beating down on the speaker and turntable, just minor things like that. I haven't got it hooked up yet- hence all the loose cables you see strewn about.

The basic idea was to move the stereo so that it faces the long dimension of the room (12 feet) instead of the short side like it was (10 feet) it gives me a bit more listening space and frees up the room for overnight guests if they are willing to try an air mattress !

View attachment 3832448View attachment 3832449

With the grills on, the Soliloquy 6.3 look quite similar (grill shape, heavy-duty metal feet and foot plate) -- not so much with grills off though:

Soliloquy_6.3i_28229.jpg
 
They sure do look like the monitor Audio's.... Where are they designed/made?

Soliloquy is no longer in business, unfortunately, but I think they were made in North Carolina. I tried replacing them with new production Ohm Walsh 1000's a few years ago (wanting a more compact speaker and Ohm's fabled soundstage). I was working directly with John Strohbeen (RIP) for the evaluation -- he was great to work with and was really curious how the somewhat inefficient Ohm's would fair with my 13wpc tube amp in my somewhat large room.

I found the low-power EL34 tube amp drove the Ohm's just fine -- easily went as loud as I needed them to -- but after a few weeks of evaluation, I ended up preferring the 6.3's. Maybe not a fair comparison since the 6.3, at 100 lbs each, are about double the weight of the Walsh 1000's -- though I had a Sunfire sub to mostly even up the playing field for any low-bass deficiencies.
 
Back
Top Bottom