• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's your latest audio purchase?

Sold my my 14 y/o old SVS PB12-NSD and bought the SVS 3000 Micro R|Evolution and the SVS auto EQ mic.


View attachment 3827098

How does does the performance of the 3000 Micro compare to your prior PB-12? Not really a fair fight because the Micro is a small sealed, versus a much larger ported, but the 3000 is supposed to be quite good. I like the 3000 Micro a lot, but I wish it had speaker-level inputs in addition to line-level.
 
How does does the performance of the 3000 Micro compare to your prior PB-12? Not really a fair fight because the Micro is a small sealed, versus a much larger ported, but the 3000 is supposed to be quite good. I like the 3000 Micro a lot, but I wish it had speaker-level inputs in addition to line-level.

Well, it doesn't dig quite as low (Flat at 20Hz) as old 12", but with my primary usage (Music), it's not really noticeable. What I CAN tell you, this sub sounds amazing! After running the Auto EQ, this little guy is leaps and bounds better sounding than the old box. Kick drums sound much more "tight" and controlled. Bass overall seems extremely well controlled/precise and authoritative. Because of the Auto EQ, the 8dB 50 Hz mode in my room is now tamed (see the graph) and the ability to adjust and fine tune the sub parameters from the couch is a huge plus.
svs eq.png
 
I'm in the process of doing some major modifications to the "office", I've been busting my arse all day moving junk put of there (speakers were moved onto shelves in the garage, other stuff went right to the dumpster, I'm going to take a bunch of BPC to Goodwill this week to get it out of my way. I've got to move around some of the sound absorption panels and maybe add a few more. Amazon is delivering a cut to fit filter for the window to keep dust/dirt sand (what we call the "Enchantment" in the land of Enchantment) and I'm going to put some tint on the glass to block the sun from beating down on the speaker and turntable, just minor things like that. I haven't got it hooked up yet- hence all the loose cables you see strewn about.

The basic idea was to move the stereo so that it faces the long dimension of the room (12 feet) instead of the short side like it was (10 feet) it gives me a bit more listening space and frees up the room for overnight guests if they are willing to try an air mattress !

View attachment 3832448View attachment 3832449
Moved all the sound absorption panels and added some behind the new speaker location...I'll have it up and running tomorrow night

20-003.jpg20-007.jpg
 
Got a set of the new design Isoacoustics Gaia III Neo feet for the new ash Silver 500's. These are way better than the old design, are adjustable and no collars and nuts to fool with. They are also a perfect match for the outriggers on these speakers:

25-002.jpg25-003.jpg25-004.jpg25-006.jpg25-001.jpg
 
Picked up this Magnavox 2-ST656 Symphony American provincial from 1961 for 45 bucks yesterday. Initially I was gonna gut it out but now I'm thinking of keeping it intact. Plays well and it's kind of cool to have all the original paperwork. Haven't opened it up but I'm pretty sure it's a 6BQ5 push pull amp.

With tax they paid 411.00 in '61, that's like 4,700.00 in todays dollars.

Mike

PXL_20260909_203540248.MP.jpgPXL_20260909_203559096.jpgPXL_20260910_121230866.jpgPXL_20260910_121234925.jpgPXL_20260910_121249410.jpg
 
Picked up this Magnavox 2-ST656 Symphony American provincial from 1961 for 45 bucks yesterday. Initially I was gonna gut it out but now I'm thinking of keeping it intact. Plays well and it's kind of cool to have all the original paperwork. Haven't opened it up but I'm pretty sure it's a 6BQ5 push pull amp.

With tax they paid 411.00 in '61, that's like 4,700.00 in todays dollars.

Mike

View attachment 3833871View attachment 3833872View attachment 3833873View attachment 3833874View attachment 3833875
Sweet little 9302-00 amp, 15" woofers, mids, and 4 tweeters. Cleaned 65 years worth of dust out of it. Wife likes the MCM look and for now it's in our dining area. Excuse the mess.

Edited to say: Bonus for no mouse turds!

Mike

PXL_20260910_134425947.jpgPXL_20260910_135238894.jpgPXL_20260910_135254675.jpgPXL_20260910_135329136.jpgPXL_20260910_142213464.jpg
 
Sweet little 9302-00 amp, 15" woofers, mids, and 4 tweeters. Cleaned 65 years worth of dust out of it. Wife likes the MCM look and for now it's in our dining area. Excuse the mess.

Edited to say: Bonus for no mouse turds!

Mike

View attachment 3833912View attachment 3833913View attachment 3833914View attachment 3833915View attachment 3833916
Nice console, how does it sound? My younger brother has my Pops old console and it sounded very weak. He had the Alnico magnets on the speakers reenergize by a shop in Phoenix (I don't know what they do, but I have read that it is possible to reenergize alnico magnet) and now it has plenty of power.
 
Nice console, how does it sound? My younger brother has my Pops old console and it sounded very weak. He had the Alnico magnets on the speakers reenergize by a shop in Phoenix (I don't know what they do, but I have read that it is possible to reenergize alnico magnet) and now it has plenty of power.
Sounds pretty good all in all.

Mike
 
I'm curious about the console sound also. Before I was able to buy my first stereo (Superscope 10wpc w/ Advent, can't remember what turntable) with lawn mowing money when I was in 6th grade or so, I listened to my dad's console. A LOT. Mostly playing my dad's Harry James and Rafael Mendez records. I think it was a Zenith -- it had similarly big 15" woofers, don't remember what else -- but it also had a separate "portable" speaker that the console could transmit to so you could play music in two rooms at the same time. I'm very curious what I'd think of the console sound today -- I certainly enjoyed when my age was in single digits.
 
Back
Top Bottom