• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

When AK members - friends - silently disappear

Folks, No one is banned on AK with out repeated warnings for even outlandish behavior. Please keep this thread on the proper tracks per the OP's request.
It is about folks that can and have not posted, and members concern for their well being. It is not about past members who have strayed from the rules of AK often enough to get themselves banned.
Thanks for your cooperation,
Jim
 
people can only handle so many BS threads.

your system is inferior,
if you use tone controls, if you have any Bose gear,
HT amps are inferior to my worn out 1970 amp,
ect

then the fact that this place is extremely conservative.
You chase off young minds.

When I first came here it was neat and new, now it is literally the same people talking about the same equipment over and over and over.

So I started looking at other sites and found a couple that I enjoy more.
I still come here occasionally to see certain members and I always read a page of the newer posts, well at least the titles.
 
I'd like to see Vlad back. His innovative approach is a great asset.

if you feel so, start a new thread and discuss it there, but don't jeopardize THIS thread ...
I kind of like the OTHER folks and things people are discussing here.

... this thread is important to me and I would not like to see it closed.

Cheers

Yep, me neither!
 
As most of you know, the AK software sends out birthday greetings to those members who choose to display their date of birth. As you may also know, we have many more lurkers than posting members. Every couple of months, I receive an email from a family member requesting that the site stop sending birthday wishes to the account of some zero-poster who has passed away. As I am typing my reply, sending condolences, I always wonder how often this happens without us ever hearing about it.

If I get a similar message about a posting member, I will create a thread about him or her, so that the AK friends will know.
 
As most of you know, the AK software sends out birthday greetings to those members who choose to display their date of birth. As you may also know, we have many more lurkers than posting members. Every couple of months, I receive an email from a family member requesting that the site stop sending birthday wishes to the account of some zero-poster who has passed away. As I am typing my reply, sending condolences, I always wonder how often this happens without us ever hearing about it.

If I get a similar message about a posting member, I will create a thread about him or her, so that the AK friends will know.


Wow. Appreciate that you take time to do that.
It speaks volumes.

I haven't heard from so many of the old guard for so long. I, too, have wondered about Hakaplan.

He's knowledgeable to the nth degree. Hope he's doing well.

May have already posted this, but has anyone heard from Thor lately?
Tentoze?
 
oldgringo?

03-15-2014 oldgringo posted for the last time, that day he posted 12 times. He visits the forum regularly but he does not post anymore.

It's a pity.
 
Some of us go back to real life after the novelty wears off, some get frustrated with other members or run out a passing fancy, some just want to spend more time with the music and the gear rather than talking about it on line, and some just quietly stop posting and are missed and that may get noticed, or not.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=519487

As I was reading though that post I was thinking he would pop in. Not the case in this active search your concern prompted. The plus side is we do make friends on the net never possible before. The down side a separation of locality and not writing down internet friends for family members. As technology changes our life's we should take steps that family is aware of and can follow.

Anyway your good hearted Pio and sorry about your lose.
 
As I was reading though that post I was thinking he would pop in. Not the case in this active search your concern prompted. The plus side is we do make friends on the net never possible before. The down side a separation of locality and not writing down internet friends for family members. As technology changes our life's we should take steps that family is aware of and can follow.

Anyway your good hearted Pio and sorry about your lose.

:thmbsp:
 
Sometimes people leave for more sinister, or unhappy reasons. On the R-390A forum, we had one member, Nolan Lee, who was very popular, extremely knowledgeable, & was 2nd to none w/his way with words. He understood how an R-390A TICKED, & could describe it in a way that could make even the dullest imbecile in the group-Namely, ME-not only comprehend, but would usually have you laughing. He lived in either Florida or Texas, & prided himself on his "Redneckness". He was ETERNALLY patient & kind w/noobs, & was forever giving parts out w/little thought of repayment. Then, one day, he "Turned off". Nothing, nada.. Several months went by, & finally the story came out. He had a MASSIVE stroke, which left him in a permanent state of befuddlement. I don't think he ever posted again, he finally died a year or so later, never found out what happened to his MARVELLOUS collection of gear, I don't think he had any family. A very sad end.

One of my great regrets was inadvertently offending him with a rant in an exchange involving "audiophools" and alienating him. My loss and something nothing could 'fix'.
 
Last edited:
Ahh, Pio, don't be hard on yourself, we know your heart is good. Besides some folks love a good argument!
 
Two of our most appreciated members, Fisherdude and Arkay, silently disappeared. Weeks ago they told me their private reasons in detailed and confident private messages why they quit the show. Clay and Lee were really great pals.

I would like to say that I am grateful that they called me a friend. They meant a lot to me and I miss them. But I deeply respect their decision.

Thank you boys, many many thanks!
 
Last edited:
Yes, miss them both, was just thinking about Arkay yesterday in fact. Was always nice to get the Hong Kong perspective and his forays into the used market there.
 
The reason of my post is to mention, to remember those two great AK contributors once again. mech986, and many others, you all agree with me that we can't let them go without heartfully and gratefully saying Good Bye.
 
Last edited:
i joined in april 2003 and have contributed almost nothing of value in my 4000+ posts (maybe with the exception of starting the massive 'today's ambient selection' thread) and yet here i am, checking in almost every day, for some reason. i have a couple pretty good systems, have a set of Indignias and a set of E-waves, but ...wait, what am i saying here? i'll stop right now
 
Back
Top Bottom