• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

which amp Adcom or Emotiva

rselby

Active Member
Got a choice between a healthy( just been serviced ) adcom GFA 5500 or a Emotiva Xpa-2...which is the better amp
 
Register to hide this ad
Got a choice between a healthy( just been serviced ) adcom GFA 5500 or a Emotiva Xpa-2...which is the better amp
While I'm happy with an Emotiva XPA-5 used with the HT, I suspect the Adcom might sound a tad better within its (slightly lower) power range. Why? Singled ended class A input, MOSFET output and stiffer power supply. Don't like the captive cord, but...

Nelson Pass designs them very well. I have an '81 Stasis in the garage system.
 
Cerwin Vega VS 150 , big 15" woofers in these...but pretty efficient at 102 db and they are 4 ohm
 
I have the UPA-1 & a UPA-200 plus a pair of XPA-1's and have been very happy with them.
 
emo amp

I have an xpa-2 gen2 and I love it.driving b&w dm7 mk2's and polk 10a's.money back guarantee 5year owner transf warranty.just my 2cents



regards shovelhead
 
Recently I picked up an adcom amp myself and am using it to power my CV 380ses, so it's kinda similar to your situation. I quite like the pairing though I'm also a proponent that the pre has more influence over the sound than the power amp. Quite a few people don't care for adcom amps since they lack any speaker protection there's a possibility they can send straight DC to your speakers and fry them. I live dangerously so it dosent bother me. Also if your CVs are like mine (and many I've had/seen are) they have fuses to protect them. That adds confidence to their safety. That said I think you'd be happy with the adcom or the emo, emotiva now is like how adcom used to be, a good bang for your buck company.
 
Never been able to listen to a system with an Emotiva... Adcom will be a very solid bang for the buck amp.

It would be good to know what preamp and speakers you will be pairing that amp. Most comments on Adcom will indicate its strengths are in the bottom end so that will be something to consider.
 
The Adcoms and Emotivas I've heard sounded very good to my tin ears. Speakers, sources, room and pre-amp will all have a much greater impact on sound quality than your amplifier selection. Both amps have well designed power supplies, nicely designed electronics, and excellent construction. The 5500's uses a FET, and not sure but I think the XPA-2 is a BJT. That should give the edge to the 5500 and I'm not one to nit pick a Nelson Pass design, but both transistor styles can produce excellent amps given an excellent design. I will say that I recently picked up an XPA-5 Gen 2 for HT purposes and it greatly exceeded my expectations. It compared very well to my V-FET Yamaha B-2 on my main speakers. I think you would be very happy with either, but hey, this is AK - why don't you buy both?
 
Not an expert but had a couple of Adcom amps and they all sounded really good. It's a classic and Nelson Pass is to some one of the best audio designers there is.

On the other hand, Emotiva, which I haven't heard, consistently gets good reviews and is considered one of the best for pure band for the buck.

To me it's a kind of a toss up. You really cannot go wrong really. I'd pick the Adcom because I like vintage and I like the real audio brands.

Have a listen if you can!
 
I have an Adcom GFA 5800 which is the 5500s big brother. I love it, it sounds clean and direct. No experience with the Emotiva but I would not hesitate to get another GFA.
 
I have an Emotiva RPA-1 power amp. Bought it new 6 years ago. I never grow tired of the quality sound it produces.
 
Well...now I have just got some new speakers ( cerwin vega CLS 215), an feel I may really need some high current to drive them, says 500w max....and I measured 4 ohm at the speaker.
 
Those CV's are very efficient (97dB) so you don't need much power OR high current to make these play ear-bleeding loud. 100 wpc with these speakers should be more than enough. Either brand of amp will work just fine. However, since you don't need a ton of power you can go with a lower-powered less expensive amp and still get plenty of clean sound. I've never heard Emotiva, but I've been a long-time owner of Adcom, so between these two my vote is for Adcom. If the GFA-5500 is a good deal, go with that, but the 125 wpc GFA-5400 would be equally capable in this installation.

FYI, impedance for the CLS-215 is listed on the owner's manual as 8 ohms, so no need for a low-impedance capable amplifier. Also, the 500 watts max spec is the maximum instantaneous (i.e. millisecond burst) input power rating, not the continuous power rating.
 
Last edited:
FYI, impedance for the CLS-215 is listed on the owner's manual as 8 ohms, so no need for a low-impedance capable amplifier. Also, the 500 watts max spec is the maximum instantaneous (i.e. millisecond burst) input power rating, not the continuous power rating.

I think that is strange that they list specs of 8 ohm.....but they measure 4 ohm
Im driving them with a Kenwood basic M2 now, will swap in the adcom in a day or so....I wonder if a CLASS A amp would sound better on these since they are pretty efficient ?
 
Back
Top Bottom