• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Which is better Mac 2100 or Heathkit AA-1600

I do have some MAC stuff which is nice, but like so many others as it gets old it develops problems and those are hard to fix sometimes with old gear.

Steve

That is certainly valid that anything mechanical or electrical will need tending & care as it ages.

However McIntosh stands out for the simple reason it had been designed for relative ease of servicing unlike many other brands - not to suggest Heathkit falls into this category.

Secondly, older McIntosh enjoys a particularly high level of product support with many specialists in the servicing of McIntosh. And once fully gone over by a reputable Mc tech, McIntosh is usually good for years of trouble free service thereafter.
 
Well I can weigh in hear a bit late. The Heath stuff he was going to trade for is highly sought after also. In talking to a retired Heath engineer many moons ago he said, that when they designed a good piece of audio gear that it was held up to Mac's as they were considered the best in the business. As he said sometimes we beat them and sometimes they beat us. But Mac was the gold standard. I happen to have all of there High end stuff as I fell in love with Heathkit. But still you could not give me a mac in trade of my heath stuff. Not that it isn't good enough there is just way to much sentimental attachment to my Heath gear. I do have some MAC stuff which is nice, but like so many others as it gets old it develops problems and those are hard to fix sometimes with old gear.

Steve
Even at this late date I want to state that back in the day (early 1970s) of madness with neophytes and audiophiles I took my newly-built Heathkit AR-1500 receiver to a McIntosh "clinic" in suburban Maryland, where they hoped to reveal your amp's deficiencies and maybe sell you on their superior specs. The McIntosh print out mirrored the Heathkit spec sheet. I'll never forget what the Mac technician said: "If you keep building them like this we'll never sell you a Mac."
 
Even at this late date I want to state that back in the day (early 1970s) of madness with neophytes and audiophiles I took my newly-built Heathkit AR-1500 receiver to a McIntosh "clinic" in suburban Maryland, where they hoped to reveal your amp's deficiencies and maybe sell you on their superior specs. The McIntosh print out mirrored the Heathkit spec sheet. I'll never forget what the Mac technician said: "If you keep building them like this we'll never sell you a Mac."

Yep, and the day Bob Carver carried in his first Phase Linear 700 was a very bad day for Mac at the clinic. They had nothing to compete

I have long since left the Mac train but it was fun when I was into them
 
So what's the reason why the Mac sounds good? Is that another case of people like the sound of the distortion it makes, similar to people who like the "sound of tubes"? Or maybe the McIntosh placebo effect? lol Because looking at it from a specification or design perspective; there is nothing all that impressive on it's own. .25% THD, damping factor of 20, and a design that has some weak points. Although it appears to run a fairly high bias current putting it into class A territory at low power levels. It's even an old-school design that uses all NPN outputs.
 
So what's the reason why the Mac sounds good? Is that another case of people like the sound of the distortion it makes, similar to people who like the "sound of tubes"? Or maybe the McIntosh placebo effect? lol Because looking at it from a specification or design perspective; there is nothing all that impressive on it's own. .25% THD, damping factor of 20, and a design that has some weak points. Although it appears to run a fairly high bias current putting it into class A territory at low power levels. It's even an old-school design that uses all NPN outputs.
Try one for yourself and see. I find these early Mc SS designs to be quite neutral and the autoformers provide great flexibility.
 
Probably will never end up with one. I have what I like, but maybe someone will bring one for me to service someday and I'll hear for myself. Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts as to why it sounds better. I think with most people, the power of suggestion is stronger than they're willing to admit. I'm always studying the schematics of amps that are commonly considered to be great sounding, and seeing what traits they have in common. For me personally, I consider the best sounding amp to be the one that replicates the original signal without altering it, remaining stable, and can deliver the current needed to control the load. I do agree amps sound different, but the better they are; the more they sound alike. Because the better they are; the less "sound" they have.
 
Last edited:
First gen silicon transistor tech for Mac vs later developed tech with later components. The Macs may or may not need rebuilding to perform in top fettle. Certainly, Mac learned from designing and producing them and developed better performing later products from those lessons learned.
Principles of solid engineering and design are well known and not exclusive to one or a few mfgrs, there are more good alternative choices than time to try them all.
 
Back
Top Bottom