• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which one to buy? Denon DR-M22 vs. Nak BX-100

Trance88

Vintage Furry
Denon DR-M22 vs. Nak BX-100

Hey gang! A shop near me has either a Denon DR-M22 3 head cassette deck or a Nak BX-100. Which one is better overall??:scratch2:
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Get the Denon. I always liked those better- fewer problems.
That's what I've been leaning towards. If it's got 3 heads, it's generally a really good performing deck, right? Naks are well regarded it seems but it's only a 2 head deck.
 
That's what I've been leaning towards. If it's got 3 heads, it's generally a really good performing deck, right? Naks are well regarded it seems but it's only a 2 head deck.

If you are just going to use it for playback you don't need three heads. Are you sure both decks work?

I wasn't being flip with the *buy both* thing -- I just assumed they could be had pretty cheap.
 
If you are just going to use it for playback you don't need three heads. Are you sure both decks work?

I wasn't being flip with the *buy both* thing -- I just assumed they could be had pretty cheap.
I do a lot of recording and playing so, I'm guessing the 3 head deck would be the better choice. I'll go ahead and say that they're 40 bucks each. Dunno if that's overpriced or not. Is playback quality compromised on a 3 head deck due to the head being smaller?
 
I have both and they're both nice; it's really a close call. FWIW, I have the BX-100 in my main rig as there's something about how well Naks sound. I paid a lot less than $40 for mine; both were $5-10 each.

But if you get the Nak , find out if the idler tire has been replaced? It's an easy fix, but a common failure. I think the Denon motor runs nonstop too if it is on, so you might want to be aware of that too. As to looks, I give the nod to the Denon.

Have fun, both are nice decks!!
 
I just noticed the place also has a Sony TC-W5 for about half the price. Probably POS in comparison to the Denon and the Nak, though.
 
Is playback quality compromised on a 3 head deck due to the head being smaller?

Actually, just the opposite. A three head deck is (theoretically) better than a 2 head deck, because the record and play heads are each optimized for their particular purpose; a combined r/p head is always going to be a bit of a compromise between the two. 3 head decks are - usually - a bit higher on the food chain and are likely to have better specs.

Speaking as a Nak owner, I'd get the Denon. Naks are fine machines, but servicing is getting a bit dicey these days, and there's nothing really wrong with the Denons.
 
If the Denon is a 3-head machine, I'd go that direction. I see no point in dealing with two head machines when some very nice three head machines are availble cheap these days.
 
I went to the shop today to find the Denon gone.They had another Denon deck there, model DRW-750A Dual cassette. It's just a 2-head system. The Nakamichi was still there but I wasn't really thrilled with the sound quality. I compared the Nak to the Denon they had there and I was quite surprised how well the Denon deck sounded. I went ahead and bought it. It even came with the original instruction manual with a hand written date of March 1991 on it. I'm doing a test recording with it right now. So far so good!
 
The Nakamichi was still there but I wasn't really thrilled with the sound quality. I compared the Nak to the Denon they had there and I was quite surprised how well the Denon deck sounded.

Wow, Naks usually sound really good, even the 2 head ones. :yes:
 
As long as it works and you like the sound is what matters.

I have 2 head decks and never had any problems recording. Do a test tape to set levels and you are there.

Even with a 3 head deck, I use the same process.

Sure, you can monitor exactly how it will sound, but I've never bothered to stop and say, "Oh, no, that's not good." And start over.

The advantage of 3 heads perhaps are features that you may or may not need and more complexity for gizmo geeks.

I find myself really liking the simplicity of 2 head decks for everyday play.
 
The Nak was 10 bucks more as well. I guess there's still time to swap if need be.:D

If you're happy, don't bother...:yes:

There is one thing about Naks though and that is that sometimes tapes recorded on them sound best played back on them, and not so good on other decks. If you plan on recording tapes that will be played on another deck, like in a car or another system, the Denon probably is your best bet.
 
I do a lot of recording and playing so, I'm guessing the 3 head deck would be the better choice. I'll go ahead and say that they're 40 bucks each. Dunno if that's overpriced or not. Is playback quality compromised on a 3 head deck due to the head being smaller?

Gear might just be priced higher in your area. Here in Dallas, most tape decks run about $20 or so. I love all my Denon gear, and have a Denon tape deck. I'd have to go check the model number, but it works just fine for me...
 
I was never really a big fan of most dual well decks. I have a Denon DRM-800A that I bought new back in the day and have been happy with since, thought it never got a lot of use. Single well, non-auto reverse, Dolby B,C, HX-Pro. I think if I were buying a deck now, I'd be inclined to look for one with Dolby S.
 
I'm not exactly thrilled with the recording quality of this Denon Deck I have. It distorts pretty easily on tracks with big kick drums. My Yamaha could handle 'em just fine at the same recording level. Also, highs aren't as clean. I'm starting to have second thoughts on whether or not I should have went for the Nak.:sigh:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom