• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which tube preamp kit to build? Elekit TU-8500 VS Bottlehead Moreplay

hrudulv

Member
I will try to build my first ever kit. Currently I am practicing soldering.
Please advice and thank you.
Which kit would sound better and easier to build...
TIA
 
Register to hide this ad
Just looking at both kits I would personally go for the Moreplay.
Unless you need that solid state phono preamp that's built into the Elekit preamp.
 
The TU-8500 published numbers for SNR are much better than the Bottlehead. I'm not sure I believe those numbers. I have a TU-8500 and it works fine. Is it the bee's knees? Not really, but it does everything it claims to do.
 
Yeah, really kind of apples vs oranges. Moreplay would have a much higher output impedance, if that's going to be an issue. Will most likely respond to tube rolling, whereas the TU-8500 probably won't sound much different. Completely different form factors too.

jeff
 
I will try to build my first ever kit. Currently I am practicing soldering.
Please advice and thank you.
Which kit would sound better and easier to build...
TIA

What amplifier?
Moreplay will work better with high input impedance amplifiers - most tube amplifiers and some solid state amplifiers.
 
I got the Elekit 8500 and it has the mundorf caps, better resistors, and better OP amps in the phono, better 12au7...really nice preamp and phono. Easy online upgrades.
 
I don't like those either. Top mounted controls I might be able to tolerate, but top mounted connectors? No, I think that would put me off.
Some like to show off there fancy cables. I've built various preamps and amps with connectors up top. It can make adding or removing equipment easier. I have various small secondary systems setup in a small room and having connectors up top can be handy when changing up various pieces of equipment. I can swap preamps and amps just by moving cables around without having to pull the equipment out to get to the back.
But for my main system I prefer rear mounted connections for the most part. I even have some equipment with front mounted connections.
 

Attachments

  • 20240305_152555.jpg
    20240305_152555.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230205_100800.jpg
    20230205_100800.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20221223_110906.jpg
    20221223_110906.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220607_112902.jpg
    20220607_112902.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220623_132024.jpg
    20220623_132024.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240623_130511.jpg
    20240623_130511.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220810_175713.jpg
    20220810_175713.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210415_122848.jpg
    20210415_122848.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 24
I don't like those either. Top mounted controls I might be able to tolerate, but top mounted connectors? No, I think that would put me off.
Agree with this, but in the end it's about the sound. I can live with imperfect cosmetics or operational inconveniences for that goal (like the Citation V, which doesn't have a power switch). About the Elekit, I've never understood why the phono pre isn't tube type. The essential support circuitry is already there (filament voltage and B+ supply), and I believe the market would support a slight increase in cost for two more tubes. In any event, it's a nice product, and an external phono preamp could always be added to the system at a later date.

Jack
 
Back
Top Bottom