• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who is running "Full Range"?

I don't run full range dynamic speakers, but, I've heard a few. I have heard decent sound, albeit, thin in bass, from a number of full-range driver systems. None would really work for large-scale classical orchestral music (certainly not for organ), but, if small ensemble jazz or intimate vocal music is your thing, these kinds of drivers can grab you by the ears with their immediacy in a way that most multi-driver systems cannot.

At the high end, I've heard systems with Feastrix drivers that were very good. A friend has a field coil Feastrix in an onken enclosure that sounds quite good. I heard a cheaper (though still crazy expensive) Feastrix in a commercial system by a company named Volti that sounded really good (looked fantastic too).

I recently heard a decent open baffle system built around a 755 driver. I prefer the larger 756 driver myself, though a tweeter is needed with the 756. I believe a Korean firm is now making knock offs of the 755, though again, I bet these are not cheap.

I recently heard a full range system (cannot remember the name) that had an acrylic enclosure that looks like a big gold fish bowl. The single driver was by the Taiwanese firm Tang Band. This system sounded very good for the money. The Tang Band full range drivers are quite inexpensive, compared to the likes of Lowther drivers, and sound very good.

I have been very impressed with multi-way systems that are built around full-range drivers. The Horning speaker company uses Lowther drivers for the mids and highs, while using some other drivers for bass. I heard a terrific system by a company named, if I recall correctly, Surreal Sound, that uses a Tang Band full range speaker for the mids and highs. I actually prefer these systems that supplement the bass of supposedly full range drivers to systems that only utilize a single driver.
 
Hornshoppe Horns with the Fostex 126en drivers. I now have close to 200 hours on them and they sound incredible for what they are. They are lacking below 60 or 70 hz, but I use a powered sub to make up the difference. I am now a believer.

007-2.jpg
 
Funny, I ran Full Range the for the last 4 years and just got away from them 2 weeks ago. I ran 10 inch Full Range speakers in HUGE cabinets, so big that it almost looked like a movie prop!!

They sounded......OK. Good on somethings, not so good on other things. The lack of bass was always a problem for me, in fact, you dont realize that midrange sonics like vocals and snare drums actually HAVE bass response until you hear a set of really high end speakers.

I replaced them with a pair of Tannoy Saturn S10s and I am in Audio Heaven.The Tannoys are everything I always wanted in a pair of speakers, and mated with my EICO amp with 1950s Valves, the sound is breathtaking.

So.........while Full Range can be fun, I think you would be cheating yourself in a way.
 
After hearing the HS Horns and buying the little Tektons bookshelfs I was hooked. Sold my powerful amps and inefficient speakers with passive crossovers and haven't looked back. I can't get enough of them and doubt I'll ever buy or build anything else.

picture.php
 
I've run Mark Audio Alpair 10.2, CHR-70 Gen2, Alpair 7.3, and Alpair 12.2. I've also run Audio Nirvana Super 3, Super 8, Super 10, and now my current project consisting of Super 12s, all cast frame versions. I personally love fullrange drivers. They all have their quirks though. Some beamy, some rolled off, some too small, etc. I find that if you can live within their limitations and with their faults, you will be rewarded with beautiful sound in a unique presentation.

Things you need to consider when thinking about your first fullrange project are room size, available cabinet space, aesthetics, budget, and most importantly, what you expect for them to do. If you're looking for earth shattering bass, look elsewhere unless you're willing to build a massive and complex cabinet (still might be lacking).

Another brand that people seem to like a lot is Wild Burro. They're very inexpensive and require the simplest of enclosures so perhaps it would be a good place to start your journey off. No sense in spending big money on drivers only to find out you don't like the sound they have to offer.


-Steven

Edit: I've also used Hawthorne Audio 15" Silver Iris drivers on open baffle.
 
Last edited:
Full Of It

Full Range Drivers are definetly an accquired taste.

I thought my 10 inch Fulls in the big cabs sounded great....UNTIL I got the Tannoys and I realized how much was missing from the FRs. A real Eye-Opener for me, personally.

Of course, if you listen only to Vocalists, Full Range Speaks are probably Ok.

I know someone, for example, that listens to Sinatra like 80% of the time. For him, his old University 8 inch Fulls are Ok, they do the job. For Rock and roll, they probably wouldnt be. But...its whatever makes you happy.
 
Keep in mind, what doesn't work for someone, may work darn well for yourself. It's all about trial and error, application, room, music preference. There are so many variables to it that you can't really rule anything out unless you try it first.

Also, know the difference between bass weight and bass extension. That's key.
 
Work

Oh, I agree, Steve.

I'm just saying for me, in my room, that Tannoys are just so much better, its not even close.

Guitars now finally have some low end (which they have "live") but on the FR, all you really heard was the mids.

The Beatles, in particular, didnt sound so great on the FRs. But they sound great on the Tannoys so I'm happy!
 
I just noticed that I didn't actually reply to the question. As some people know, I have several single driver speakers that I rotate in and out of the system. Currently, I'm listening to a DIY MTM speaker design, but it will probably be rotated out in a couple of weeks.

I recently listened to a pair of High-Zoot Lowther/Eminance Open Baffle speakers with a pair of Mass Loaded Bi-Pole subs. Those were certainly a nice sounding pair of speakers! I think the Lowther's play 200 Hz on up

Best Regards,
TerryO
 
Ok I think there needs to be a small qualification here as to what is "full range". In the strictest sense it is a single driver and no xover.

However, I will consider some designs that use two drivers and an xover as pseudo full range. Designs like open baffles over H frames or with a concentrically mounted supertweeter like Hammer Dynamics and FAST designs. The goal of these designs is to get one driver, often running full range with natural roll off to do 80-90% of the work and the second driver to fill in the extremes (low or high)

Having said that, I would not consider my Silver Iris OBs a full range experience, because despite the concentric nature and point source sound the x-over is in the middle of the range.

The best speakers I've ever heard (apart from megabuck front horns) were the aforementioned Hammer Dynamics. They had it all AFAIK. I'm thinking of building a set.
 
i just got a pair of EV wolverine LS-15's for free and i have been listening to them. they have a great low and high end and the low end response kicks all the way down to 35hz and you can still hear it! i am planning to make some really big horns of some sort for them....
 
These full range 12 inch Eminence Betas over H-frame Alphas are currently my best all around effort. I use a Bottlehead 2a3 for the 98 db Betas, a Topping T-amp for the super tweeters and Yung class D plate amps on the Alphas. Instead of passives I use an electronic crossover and there's no lack of bass with the H-frames.

picture.php
 
These full range 12 inch Eminence Betas over H-frame Alphas are currently my best all around effort. I use a Bottlehead 2a3 for the 98 db Betas, a Topping T-amp for the super tweeters and Yung class D plate amps on the Alphas. Instead of passives I use an electronic crossover and there's no lack of bass with the H-frames.

picture.php

What super tweeter do you use with those? I am looking into building a pair of 2-ways with my wolverines. And what crossover do you use?



Peace Out, from tapatalk
 
Back
Top Bottom