• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who loves burgers!

Lwrs10

Super Member
I am a burger fanatic. There is no better meal to me then to go out and get a good burger. Not the McDonalds, Hardees, Burger King crap. I am always on the lookout for a mom and pop place with a good homemade burger....

My Favorites for chains are Five Guys and Steak and Shake. I also enjoy my cast iron skillet with some fresh ground chuck. Or a good charcoal grill....

Who else shares my love for burgers?
 
Register to hide this ad
Five guys is fantastic, single patty+mushrooms+ swiss cheese= one of the best burgers i've had, consistant too.

Steak and shake is pretty good, so is Johnny rockets, a similar chain, and many other smaller chains are pretty good as well. We used to have a resturant locally, Max & Erma's that was pretty good in that regard. Same with a more high-end resturant, Tony Roma's.

Another good, easy to get one is Backyard burgers, frequently very good:yes:, but five guys is my top pick, hungry just thinking about it.
 
One of the best burgers I ever had was from a place in Spokane called Dick's Hamburgers, yum. Unfortunately we don't seem to have too many, non fast food, restaurants here in Canada that specialize in burgers. There used to be a great burger place in Vancouver BC. I think a Fat Burger moved into where it used to be. :tears:

Some interesting burger neon here:

http://www.roadsidepeek.com/roadusa/pacifnw/pnweats/pnwneoneats/index2.htm

Cheers

Lar
 

Attachments

  • dicksburgersspokanewa.jpg
    dicksburgersspokanewa.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 24
The Orignal Cheeze Borger, Cheez Borger :D

My father used to go here in the 50's and often took me in the 60's.

http://www.billygoattavern.com/index.html

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • cheezborger_sign.jpg
    cheezborger_sign.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 303
Having grown up in L.A. when there was only 1 Tommy's and 1 Bob's In and Out I can say that I got indoctrinated in the world of tasty ground meat :)

Now my favorite is one I make.

2 patties with chopped onion, bell pepper, and cheese between them cooked over hot coals (BBQ). Served open face on a toasted piece of fresh sour dough topped by a slice of swiss cheese and 1/2 of an avocado, covered in my home made thousand island dressing... Yes, it is TO DIE FOR
 
Five Guys is a local joint (Arlington, VA) that has gone nationwide. They're OK. Damn tasty, but quite greasy.

As for me, I'll take my own venison burgers off the backyard grill. I shoot, butcher and grind it myself (I add about 5% beef suet). My kids turn up their noses at most restaurant burgers, Five Guys included, after growing up on venison burgers. One favorite version is a cheeseburger with crumbled Gorgonzola and a thick slice of grilled Vidalia onion. Sharp cheddar is the standby, though.
 
around here there really isnt any little places like that where they have good burgers.
i think the best restaruant burger i have had is honestly a burgerking doubblestacker.
although i think i am starting to like culvers butterbugers better now.
i think nothing compares to the homemade bbq burgers i make though
bbq sauce while on the grill both sides of the patty. than add cheese while on the grill. ahhh :D
 
.....there's a Five Guys about two miles from me....I've never tried them because they were a little proud on their prices, I thought....well, it's got to where I feel like I can't eat another commercial hamburger without losing it....a couple bucks more for a hamburger combo I can really enjoy would be well worth it....I've heard about their fries, and that you get more in the bag than what you ordered....I'll try Five Guys in the next 48 hours and hope it's a much needed find....thanks for the thread and discussion.....
 
Homemade burger beats any other:
The first step is the most important.

1. Chop a baseball-sized onion as small as you can. Fry it in butter or olive oil on medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Let it cool.

2. Mix 1 pound lean ground beef, 1 egg, 1/2 Cup bread crumbs, lots of salt and pepper, and the cooled onion.

3: Form 4 large patties as thin as you can, probably 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch thick.

4. Barbecue 10 minutes on High, then 15 minutes on Medium-Low, turning every 5 minutes.

5. Top with whatever sauces and condiments you like and serve with your favorite buns.

The "SECRET" (shhhhhh) is the onions are cooked already, so they are sweet, and no sulpher, no gas.
 
I always try to find the best burgers wherever I visit. Best I've found so far - Glory Days in Winchester, VA; Johnny B Goode's in Warren, MI (great pub burger); O'Reillys Irish Pub in Heidelburg, Germany (yeah, I know I'm insane for having a German burger on my list.)

I can throw together some purdy good burgers at home too. Elk makes a great burger, lean and tasty.
 
Tough to find a good burger here... it's generally fast food chains (at least the BK burgers taste like ground beef, the McD's taste like the lukewarm styrofoam they come in). Restaurants that serve good food mostly shy away from burgers and if you do find one it's usually some horrid processed unrecognizable meat disc. If I'd be any better at cooking, guess I'd buy some decent ground beef and make them myself.

I prefer the summer, with a high chance of snagging a decent burger at a neighbourhood BBQ...
 
A simple recipe I've been using for years:

1 pound ground round
1/2 packet of French's onion soup mix
a dash of garlic powder
a teaspoon of worcestershire sauce

Grill, and top with your favorite cheese (I like to put the cheese on about a minute before I take 'em off the grill).

Occasionally, I'll mix some bleu cheese in with 'em before forming the patties.

Places I like to go for burgers:

The Shamrock in downtown Utica (MI)
Stub and Herbs in Minneapolis
 
Meat, meat, meat, meat, meat, meat, meat! Burgers, steaks, beef ribs, BBQ pork, bacon... I love meat.

I also agree that a Ma and Pop burger is better. But... the 5 Guys will only serve burnt, read well done, burgers and I don't ruin my meat. I most especially think beef should be rare. A good vet could cure most of the beef I eat. So I have never gone to the 5 Guys.

The best local burger is from Sam & Andy's Deli. A 1/2 pounder of Angus beef. And I get it bleeding! They don't even ask for my order any more. This is also more than I can eat in one meal so I take half home for dinner.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom