• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Why the hell won’t they give us meters?

I've been looking at DIY plans and instructables for something like this... Large and in charge! I don't see me having the time to do all that acrylic cutting and polishing though...

il_1140xN.4373189068_6369.jpg

That is very cool! I'll take one!
 
Because now you can buy things like this that look almost as cool..

387660.jpg
The the american dj one looks identical ,fun display run it through a tape loop out to get a nice display at low levels ! Totally useless but I love it ! My sta2080 has 2 tuning and 2 watt meters so I went with the led one ! Maybe I should get the analog meter to go with the sta2290 which has a built in led meters ! Lol
I love the flashing leds and moving meters I can’t help it. !
 
Last edited:
I believe they can tell you if you are clipping and how hard you are pushing your amp.
VU meters won't tell you if you're clipping because they're (typically) based on an ideal 8Ω load, not the speakers that are actually being driven or the actual power that the amp is putting out (to see if this is true, run your amp with the speakers switched off or disconnected. Do the meters still deflect? If so, what I wrote applies to your amp). To know if your amp is clipping, all you need are clipping lights (which several of my amps have).
 
Probably because while they might be pretty to look at, they don't provide much useful info.

Meters which are useful, would cost say, thousands. Price with inflation what a Dorrough Loudness meter costs, with inflation and small scale production added, you get the picture.
 
That's a great looking amp too.. Never heard of Belles..

LOL.. yeah... I've got too many too.. I think I have 7, or maybe 8 pro amps.. and a couple "home" amps.. a couple Audio Source (with meters) and somewhere I have a NAD.. My newest is a Wharfedale MP1800

Haven't used it much, the fan is a little louder than I'd like, but it's a beast too... Using it for subs in my shop..

MP1800-02.png
 
Last edited:
Most of my amps have meters or clip lights. I have a bunch of pro Mosfet amps. Ashly, Hafler, SCS..... Mostly Ashly.

I find the meters helpful when setting the gain. I listen loud, and it helps me keep the system within its limits.

I don’t think meters are as useful for the 1 watt crowd. But still cool to look at.
 
Back
Top Bottom