• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Why "thinner sound" from Yamaha is better than "bigger warm sound" from other brands

I picked up a nice Yamaha CA-600 for burger money at a flea market several years ago. If I ever need a modest integrated amp I'll recap it and use it.
Still looking for a mate for a McIntosh MC50 for burger bux, good luck with that.
 
QUOTE="Pio1980, post: 10068435, member: 46676"]I picked up a nice Yamaha CA-600 for burger money at a flea market several years ago. If I ever need a modest integrated amp I'll recap it and use it.
Still looking for a mate for a McIntosh MC50 for burger bux, good luck with that.[/QUOTE]
... see you got a lot of value for the burger bucks but can you get that kind of value from a Mac.
:)
 
Last edited:
prolly a bad idea since some of those Yamaha pieces would have put their main product to shame LOL

I'd have to agree whole-heartedly. Not a Mc fan, but not a "hater" either--just not my cup of tea. But putting the Yamaha "big boys" up against Mc at 5X the price would probably not be a wise marketing effort for the Mc gear.
 
Whatever the reasons I have come to prefer Yamaha sound to all others.I've been through quite a few makes although nothing what one would call high end.In the beginning I felt Yamahas sounded thin and weak.It wasn't until one late night listening session when trying to not play it too loud I discovered the variable loudness and discovered the magic of Yamaha gear.
 
Yamaha is not clinical, I might say. Pioneer SA series is clinical, up front bass and clinical highs. But not Yamaha, Yamaha is bass up front, dynamic sounding amp, when it has to - there is punch, but also when it has to be mild - it's mild and it doesn't tire my ears. Kenwood, at least the one I had , was flat sounding amp with bass way beeehind but when you switched the loudness on it was loooot's and loot's of sloppy but powerful bass and quite really nice highs - the best highs I've heard... I'd say I prefer Yamaha Natural Sound. But I'm quite curious of Sansui amps - heard so much awesome stuff about them: that they are combination of both Pioneer and Yamaha amplifiers and take what's best from both of them... And that's kind of... Interesting? I would love to own Sansui amp as my backup or second amp just to see what's all the hype about. But they are expensive in Poland... And when I say expensive like, really expensive. I'm jealous of you guys when you get so much stuff from flea markets and so on or garage sales and in Poland they ask for something old as much money as for let's say Yamaha A-S701 "because it's vintage" and mostly it's just a "starting point" and the price ends up twice as high. Also I'm so in love with Yamaha CA series - but man, they are so expensive that you can choose from newest models of A-S series here in Poland - and it's INSANE. I remember times when you could get that stuff for a booze! Yes! A booze, here in Poland... And it's either domestic stuff or let's say some Marantz or Yamaha stuff. Now it's let's say a big MEH. A business because "it's vintage, man".
 
Last edited:
I bought my as500 three years ago and will be perfectly happy if I never have to buy another new amp again. but if I do it will be another yamaha. There is no thin or bright sound with my refurbished mission 770 mk2. In fact I've had my speakers years and the yamaha is bye no means the most expensive amp I've had running them but it's bye far the best. Awesome.
It sounds big and bold with lots of detail. I'm hoping to add the cd s700 next year then replace the rest of my system with yamaha as funds permit.
:beerchug:
 
Welcome to AK. Have listened to Yamaha gear, Turntable/NS-1000's. Thin sounding did not enter my mind. Very detailed, On my "To buy" list.
 
Back
Top Bottom