• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Why Won't This Seller Test?

Register to hide this ad
Looks like this is not his normal type of item that he sells. One would think he would make an effort as it looks to be a nice unit but some just look to push their items out the door and not have to worry about anyone bitching that it does not work! This way, he can state that it was "Untested".

The strange part is he did power it so why not go a little further? In another one of his auction for electronocs, he mentions the switches may need contact cleaner because it has been sitting for some time so he does have some knowledge in regards to electronics.

I guess if interested, try to contact him and ask some questions. Ask if he has any speakers to at least try and check if it will play anything! It may be a diamond in the rough as it may work just fine but with the 'as is" statement, it may go cheap.

It's a crapshoot so decide on what you would be willing to pay if it ends up as a PARTS unit.

Good luck!

Barry
 
My guess is that the seller won't test because it might be broken. If it is broken, and he says so, the bids will be lower. Does that make him a crook?

On the other hand, since all the bidders know about the unit is that the VU meters don't light up and it 'might' be broken, then they intelligently should bid as if it *is* broken. But they won't, will they? No, they'll bid as if the unit works, because they hope it does. Does that make them stupid?

I understand the frustration - if the thing is busted, an intelligent potential buyer wants to know so they don't bid too high. If it works, they want to know that, so they can raise their bid accordingly. And of course, the intelligent bidder will be outbid on this item, because the idiot bidders will outbid them, since in their minds, the unit works.

So the idiots win.

And this is actually how the world works. The idiots always win. We just usually don't see such a graphic example of it.

Walk away. Bugging the seller to test something he has already explicitly stated he won't test is not going to do any good.
 
Its already at $51,with days left,so I dont think youll get a bargain,even if it hasnt been tested.I wouldnt go anywhere near that,IMHO.I would rather buy something I KNOW has an issue from an honest seller,than one that the buyer purposely keeps me in the dark about.
Pasadena on this one.
Jimmy
 
Generally speaking, and generalizations are always risky...if something is listed as "untested" and:

...the seller has any other electronic items in his history, assume it was tested and it doesn't work.

...the seller does NOT have any electronic items in his history, assume it was not tested and it might work. Or not.

Then, ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances. How skilled are you in fixing non-working electronics? Bid accordingly.
 
Generalization are not risky because there must have been enough validity in order to draw that conclusion. I agree that an experienced seller who says it is untested knows that it doesn't work. Here is another generalization that is true: an inexperienced seller who says it is untested may indeed have a good or easily fixable unit but will not know how to pack it so it will be delivered to you broken anyway. Ask me how I know this.
 
I've taken several risks on the bay and have never been burned thus far(knock knock knock on pine) on a big ticket item. In fact, i've been downright lucky. It's also like gambling lol. It gives you a rush sending away a couple hundred hoping that it will fruit a grand on your doorstep in a week. But i just don't send money indescriminetly. I get feelings? Gut feelings. A sense of whether or not the seller in full on doodoo. I guess it just comes down to the feeling you get when examining the auction/seller. I know that sounds strange, but it's usually very accurate. Some sellers have just one feedback but they are listing a collection of something, or dumping for a move. Normal folks. With audio equipment here is some advice. When you've won the item and are scared sh@#$less about shipping. Contact the seller like this...................................................................................................... Let me start by saying that I am in no way trying to demean or imply that your packing ability isn't professional, but the few items i've purchased of this nature on ebay has been a nightmare reguarding packaging. I just wanted to touch base with you and see if you have experience packing items like these? If not, i can pay or pitch in to have the item professionally packaged? Please do take offense, but it is a present for my father that means alot to me. Thank you kindly, Jim.

Taking a soft humble approach has never cracked my glass suckas! :banana:

.......
 
Back
Top Bottom