• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

wonder if McIntosh would be pissed off?

Did you guys check out the sellers "other items"?
Lots of companies might be unhappy......
 
Here's the sellers answer to a question regarding availablity of a certain sticker....at bottom of this sale...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/McIntosh-Tr...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a5bf3fddc

Q: I am looking for the decals/ stickers that originally were on the top cover of a Mcintosh C34v. Would you have these?

A: Hello, I can make about any lable or badge. I would need a good JPG. photo with size or a damaged one. Pleae let me know... Regards, r.j
 
Last edited:
Here's the sellers answer to a question regarding availablity of a certain sticker....at bottom of this sale...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/McIntosh-Tr...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a5bf3fddc

Q: I am looking for the decals/ stickers that originally were on the top cover of a Mcintosh C34v. Would you have these?

A: Hello, I can make about any lable or badge. I would need a good JPG. photo with size or a damaged one. Pleae let me know... Regards, r.j


definitely illegal
 
I'm inclined to agree.

I'm no trademark attorney but it seems to revolve around the use of logo and/or company name on the product. For example, it would be legal for a seller to reproduce...say... wooden cases or rack mount handles that "will fit" or "look identical" to Company X's part but because those parts don't have the logo on them there shouldn't be trademark infringement.

In this case, the seller is reproducing a decal that does have the name/logo on it.
 
Okay Okay..

People claim down, stop calling the copyright law offices, FBI, CIA, FCCA..etc

Now I think it is awesome that this guy can replicate this stuff and make it look so genuine. Its a great tool for people who are restoring things and they don't have access to NOS label or the company is no longer around.

Now I see this auction at least a week ago, as we can all see not one has sold since then. Now when I first saw them, in the back of my head I was...hmm thats strange who would want them. I mean does mc clinics still use these? I have never seen one dated past say 1979 and I only see these really on tube gear. Now who would by one and place a service date of 77 on it? I mean what would that do to the value of the mc240 etc?

I mean people just stop it, there are tons and tons of repo stuff out on the market, that the company making the repo has not been given the permission to use it.

Okay heres an example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Red-Scott-Radio-Cabinet-NEW-Decal-NR-/120883457304?

Now who wants to attempt to locate E.H Scott and let him know, that someone is making forgeries of his labels?

Okay another one to ponder, now how many of the people on this form are using copyright names/images as their avatar pic?

If your going to start reporting stuff, well you better report everyone and not just single one person out.
 
Trademarks provide consumers with a way to identify the quality and source of goods in the marketplace. The marks are registered with the US Patent and Trademark Office.

One of the twists of trademark law is that registrants are responsible for policing use of their marks. If they don't police them then they can lose their registration which is hell to get back.

Big brands go through this stuff all the time, particularly on ebay.
 
Okay Okay..

People claim down, stop calling the copyright law offices, FBI, CIA, FCCA..etc

Now I think it is awesome that this guy can replicate this stuff and make it look so genuine. Its a great tool for people who are restoring things and they don't have access to NOS label or the company is no longer around.

Now I see this auction at least a week ago, as we can all see not one has sold since then. Now when I first saw them, in the back of my head I was...hmm thats strange who would want them. I mean does mc clinics still use these? I have never seen one dated past say 1979 and I only see these really on tube gear. Now who would by one and place a service date of 77 on it? I mean what would that do to the value of the mc240 etc?

I mean people just stop it, there are tons and tons of repo stuff out on the market, that the company making the repo has not been given the permission to use it.

Okay heres an example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Red-Scott-Radio-Cabinet-NEW-Decal-NR-/120883457304?

Now who wants to attempt to locate E.H Scott and let him know, that someone is making forgeries of his labels?

Okay another one to ponder, now how many of the people on this form are using copyright names/images as their avatar pic?

If your going to start reporting stuff, well you better report everyone and not just single one person out.

reasons are as follows:

1. you an sell an amp as having been serviced that ISNT (as in has never been) because not everyone will stop and think when the last McIntosh clinic happened.
2. I know nothing about E.H scott is that company still around? if not, than it is no big deal, McIntosh is still very much around and has many of the same people there then and now. Its just slimey....sorry this is my opinion.
 
That's the thing - it's not just a label ... it's a guarantee that the unit performed up to factory spec when tested by McIntosh.

And yes, the clinics are not more - last ones were in the early '90s if I remember right. So if your sticker says 2007 or some such, chances are decent your box is sporting one of these labels.

I suppose it would behoove any buyer to also request to see the clinic report. That graphed performance and certified the test results with the signature of the tech who did the work.

(If you don't have yours, I'm sure this dude can print some up for you)

PS ... I always figured they should have also pinned a medal on anyone who attended a clinic - hauling one of them suckers in for a twiddle and tweak was a true act of love. I still get a twinge in my back just thinking about it ...
 
Just a couple points:

#1 Nobody here is calling the FBI, FTC, trademark attorneys etc. That is entirely McIntosh's option to pursue as it see fit.

#2 The purpose of the item is not to replace a worn part that is no longer in production; it is a tag to certify performance as tested at a McIntosh Clinic. Therefore the only possible use of this item is to make it appear as though the item had been present at one (or more) such clinics.

#3 Anyone familiar with the significance of the Clinic decal also likely knows that the last McIntosh Clinic took place over two decades ago.

#4 Anyone unfamiliar with the significance of the Clinic decal isn't going to care either way.

#5 Avatar images are not used for financial gain.


**I wonder what will happen with the manufacturer of repro MC-240 chrome chassis...:scratch2:
 
Last edited:
#2 The purpose of the item is not to replace a worn part that is no longer in production; it is a tag to certify performance as tested at a McIntosh Clinic. Therefore the only possible use of this item is to make it appear as though the item had been present at one (or more) such clinics.

Heres one for yah.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-Red-WAX-SEALS-for-driver-screws-075-077-le175-375-/260805590505

So these are being reproduced and we all know in the JBL world, that if the red wax seals are present, the item will sell for good money.

These are way worse then the clinic sticker.

So who is going to report this to ebay?
 
Look at the positive side of all this:

We don't need to send our money to China to get cheap knock-off's that break copyright/trademark laws. We can now keep those jobs in the U.S.!!! :D
 
This sort of thing goes on all the time in the vintage car world. GM established a program whereby vendors of repro items must meet their quality standards and pay them some fee, and then can display a "GM authorized repro" logo (or something similar to that) which certifies that it is a legit product. The volume of tags produced by this seller probably wouldn't be worth McIntosh fooling with and the C & D letter will be all that happens, then the seller either goes away or whatever. Bottom line is that any manufacturer of quality goods has a reputation to protect. And if that product could injure or kill someone (for example a knock off brake pad, etc), then there are consequences coming into play not first thought of....
 
Okay Okay..

People claim down, stop calling the copyright law offices, FBI, CIA, FCCA..etc

Now I think it is awesome that this guy can replicate this stuff and make it look so genuine. Its a great tool for people who are restoring things and they don't have access to NOS label or the company is no longer around.

Now I see this auction at least a week ago, as we can all see not one has sold since then. Now when I first saw them, in the back of my head I was...hmm thats strange who would want them. I mean does mc clinics still use these? I have never seen one dated past say 1979 and I only see these really on tube gear. Now who would by one and place a service date of 77 on it? I mean what would that do to the value of the mc240 etc?

I mean people just stop it, there are tons and tons of repo stuff out on the market, that the company making the repo has not been given the permission to use it.

Okay heres an example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Red-Scott-Radio-Cabinet-NEW-Decal-NR-/120883457304?

Now who wants to attempt to locate E.H Scott and let him know, that someone is making forgeries of his labels?

Okay another one to ponder, now how many of the people on this form are using copyright names/images as their avatar pic?

If your going to start reporting stuff, well you better report everyone and not just single one person out.
Millions of counterfeit items still doesn't make it RIGHT.
The seller is flat out stealing and profiting from various companies logos.
When it's YOUR product or logo being counterfeited perhaps you will view this differently?
As stated above, it is in the individual companies best interest to PROTECT their logos and copyrights.
 
A few years back, a seller on ebay was taking/stealing some off my images of my website and cropping out my copyright logo and then selling MY photos.
As well as a few of my acquaintances' photos.
We got together, contacted ebay, and had the sellers auctions stopped.
Based on that, it would APPEAR ebay takes stolen copyrighted material seriously.
 
Last edited:
A few years back, a seller on ebay was taking/stealing some of my images of my website and cropping out my copyright logo and then selling MY photos.
As well as a few of my aqauntances' photos.
We got together, contacted ebay, and had the sellers auctions stopped.
Based on that, it would APPEAR ebay takes stolen copyrighted material seriously.

That's one way to do it.

The big boys hire clipping services that monitor their trademark usage online. In any event ebay seems to be a good business neighbor at least when it comes to trademarks and copyrights.
 
When it's YOUR product or logo being counterfeited perhaps you will view this differently?

Oh man I wish theses were my logos being counter fitted. I would be living in a mid century mansion ontop of the Hollywood hills, surround by mc gear and paragons. I would have a mercedes from every year made and surround by hot naked chicks..and Mary Jane would be the star performer! I wouldn't give a damn if this was my logo, I would just send the team of lawyers after them! I would have so many millions, I wouldn't have a care in the world! :D

To some it up, I wish I had a logo worth counterfeiting :thmbsp:
 
not if I or someone like me was the counterfeiter

you would probably get my 98 nissan 200sx

I would be walking

ha ha
 
Back
Top Bottom