• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Woofer Experts ID, please.

tubed

Lunatic Member
These Altecs look interesting.
Anybody recognize the model number or whether they might be for a guitar amp or stereo speaker? Thanks
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
These Altecs look interesting.
Anybody recognize the model number or whether they might be for a guitar amp or stereo speaker? Thanks
Stamped "Voice", I would have to go with "Voice of the Theater", but I'm not an expert.
 
Those look like early RWB 515 woofers -- depending on condition, there could be more than a few $K sitting on that shelf.

I suggest that you get better photos -- especially of the surrounds, spiders and ID decals -- and if you can post your questions on the Altec Users Board: http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700/altec-users-board.html

I almost forgot to add that if they are what I think they may be, you have found a quad of the most desirable Altec-Lansing PM woofers out there.
 
Last edited:
Those look like early RWB 515 woofers -- depending on condition,
Correct positive ID.:yes:

However, be VERY careful about the valuation of them as the 3 that are easily visible have been re-coned which reduces their value by close to a factor of 10.
 
bowtie,

How can you tell that they have been re-coned? They look like stock, straight-sided pulp cones in the picture I see.

On closer inspection, they seem to have later JBL binding posts installed, so who can say about the cones without more and better pics.
 
IMO, the cones are the wrong color, the cone number looks too long, the number is accompanied by other characters, the numbers are too vivid, and the orientation and location of the cone numbers is not correct for original.

Add to that it looks like the woofer face down has hand writing on the cone.

Anything other than a light silver "20159" printed on the rear of the cone in an annular arrangement on the outer portion is reason to be suspicious of a recone.
 
Back
Top Bottom