• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

WTB: Choosing a flat-response amplification for... for everything.

The sound you're wanting definitely sounds like vintage Yamaha, and one of the bigger ones. CA-810 might be right in your wheelhouse, but anything higher up in that line is going to cost you a lot of money. I think you'll probably be wanting 50 wpc bare minimum. A-x60 series of integrated amps might be a good place to look too.
Cool, Yamaha gets +3. But that's the problem - there are no such Yamahas locally. All totl devices are 400$ or more. That's way to much. As I said - the limit is 200 usd (I know that I am wrong here, but my sub-ego says there is no natural sound that can cost more than 200$ - everything else is brand, golden cables and pyramids).
I have found following Yamahas around my price limit (the ones that looked awfully modern for me I didn't include):
Yamaha A-1020 - 230 euros
Yamaha A-400 - 92$
Yamaha A-S300 - 220$
Yamaha A-500 - 72$
Last one, which is much more expensive (but still not even 300$) but I don't think I like how it looks like:
Yamaha A-960 - 278$
You really think I should ask for lower price of those A-1020 or A-960? Are they better than H/K?
 
By the way, regarding Harman Kardons. I have looked closer and found several more Harman Kardons - this time out of my city.
Let me show you both prices and pages to check photos (click them, there may be more):
PM655, 168$ - http://olx.ua/uk/obyavlenie/integralnyy-usilitel-harman-kardon-pm655-IDhgfrv.html#7cb68e4477
PM655, 188$ - http://olx.ua/uk/obyavlenie/harman-kardon-pm655-IDhoGJO.html#7cb68e4477
PM655 Vxi, 160$ - http://olx.ua/uk/obyavlenie/prodam-audio-usilitel-harman-kardon-pm-655vxi-IDgsiiE.html#7cb68e4477
PM655 Vxi, 196$ - http://olx.ua/uk/obyavlenie/pdsilyuvach-harman-kardon-pm655vxi-IDfEReV.html#7cb68e4477
PM640, 108$ - http://olx.ua/uk/obyavlenie/usilitel-harman-kardon-pm640-IDgYW3u.html#7cb68e4477

HK795i, 112$ - http://olx.ua/uk/obyavlenie/resiver-harman-kardon-hk-795i-IDgNJxu.html#27cfec4854
HK6500, 170$ - http://olx.ua/uk/obyavlenie/harman-kardon-hk6500-hk6800-IDh9lW4.html#86b9c3c518
HK6650R, 180 Euro - http://olx.ua/uk/obyavlenie/usilitel-harman-kardon-6650r-IDhvhfo.html#86b9c3c518

Maybe some of these are useful?

If no, then probably I think I should either ask for A-1020 (or not-so-nice looking A-960), or simply wait for more Yamahas to come.
 
Today got a chance to listen to Canton fonum 501. Pretty nice thing. Enough basses.
However 2 things noticed which needs rechecking:
1 - Stereo image of mid-freqs (voice-freqs) was distorted (swimming) on one song.
2 - Piano does not sound pianish when I tried with Hiromi's album. Too dull... Maybe that's a recording. Seller allowed me (if I decide buying) to take them home, test for a week, if I don't like - bring em back. Price is 135$.
 
Cool, Yamaha gets +3. But that's the problem - there are no such Yamahas locally. All totl devices are 400$ or more. That's way to much. As I said - the limit is 200 usd (I know that I am wrong here, but my sub-ego says there is no natural sound that can cost more than 200$ - everything else is brand, golden cables and pyramids).
I have found following Yamahas around my price limit (the ones that looked awfully modern for me I didn't include):
Yamaha A-1020 - 230 euros
Yamaha A-400 - 92$
Yamaha A-S300 - 220$
Yamaha A-500 - 72$
Last one, which is much more expensive (but still not even 300$) but I don't think I like how it looks like:
Yamaha A-960 - 278$
You really think I should ask for lower price of those A-1020 or A-960? Are they better than H/K?

Of this list I only have personal experience with the A-1020 and A-500 (and an A-S200). And of this list I'd put the A-1020 at the top. It has every feature of the A-960, has a less complicated power supply, more wpc, sounds very good, and would cost you less than the A-960. Price wise the A-500 looks attractive. It's a nice clean sounding 70wpc amp and I like it a lot, but it doesn't have the multiple phono options that you are looking for. Just a single MM/MC switch option. But it's a nice amp. I bought one a year ago and gave it to a friend. He likes it a lot.

One thing to consider is that all of these '80s vintage amps are in the age where they need to (or will soon need to) have their electrolytic caps replaced. That's the advantage of the one new amp on your list, the A-S300. I bought an A-S200 and used it for a while and it was a decent sounding amp and has the advantage of having a remote. In the end I found that I liked an A-520 more and the A-S200 is going to one of my children.

I can't answer your question comparing the Yamaha's to HK as I have no experience with HK. To be truthful it must be said that I am biased. I've been using Yamaha amps since 1983 and love them dearly.

Cheers,
James
 
Today got a chance to listen to Canton fonum 501. Pretty nice thing. Enough basses.
However 2 things noticed which needs rechecking:
1 - Stereo image of mid-freqs (voice-freqs) was distorted (swimming) on one song.
2 - Piano does not sound pianish when I tried with Hiromi's album. Too dull... Maybe that's a recording. Seller allowed me (if I decide buying) to take them home, test for a week, if I don't like - bring em back. Price is 135$.

I have to say that I am partial to 3-way speakers. I know that there are many fine 2-way speakers out there but the midrange is very important to me and I love the sound of a well made 3-way design. Hence my recommendation for the 3-way Karat's and Quinto's. If you are not happy with the sound of the Fonum's perhaps it would be better to be patient and wait for something else to turn up?

Cheers,
James
 
I like your Avatar ;) Down here we are very proud of having such a musical genius.
Thanks. I adore Piazzolla. Fan of his music for 2 years, collected entire discography and most bootlegs. If only there were no hoarders....

I have to say that I am partial to 3-way speakers. I know that there are many fine 2-way speakers out there but the midrange is very important to me and I love the sound of a well made 3-way design. Hence my recommendation for the 3-way Karat's and Quinto's. If you are not happy with the sound of the Fonum's perhaps it would be better to be patient and wait for something else to turn up?

Cheers,
James
Probably THAT was the problem with a piano. Maybe I should wait for some 3-way too.

Of this list I only have personal experience with the A-1020 and A-500 (and an A-S200). And of this list I'd put the A-1020 at the top. It has every feature of the A-960, has a less complicated power supply, more wpc, sounds very good, and would cost you less than the A-960. Price wise the A-500 looks attractive. It's a nice clean sounding 70wpc amp and I like it a lot, but it doesn't have the multiple phono options that you are looking for. Just a single MM/MC switch option. But it's a nice amp. I bought one a year ago and gave it to a friend. He likes it a lot.

One thing to consider is that all of these '80s vintage amps are in the age where they need to (or will soon need to) have their electrolytic caps replaced. That's the advantage of the one new amp on your list, the A-S300. I bought an A-S200 and used it for a while and it was a decent sounding amp and has the advantage of having a remote. In the end I found that I liked an A-520 more and the A-S200 is going to one of my children.

I can't answer your question comparing the Yamaha's to HK as I have no experience with HK. To be truthful it must be said that I am biased. I've been using Yamaha amps since 1983 and love them dearly.

Cheers,
James
Sorry for late response and Happy New Year!
These days were way too busy.
Actually I decided for myself: if I don't want to service amp after buying, I should buy something right here, in my city, with looking at it first of all, then using and then buying for a test period of time.
I have listened to Harman Kardon 655. The biggest problem - it has same directed buzz sound from speakers no matter what input selected, no matter what is the position of volume knob. Same thing that I heard in another harman kardon (so hk are dead for me atm) and in my Dynasty.
Indeed I was shocked, how the SUPA HAI FAI H/K is also with buzz sound (then I checked Marantz old receiver and it had this buzz sound but almost unhearable even when your ear laying on loudspeaker, so Marantz seems better =)).
Maybe someone will have any ideas. I have recorded a poorest quality video of 655 trying all knobs and buttons with sound coming straight from headphones jack and amplified like 50 times. What is heard from speakers is same as what is heard via headphones. Maybe headphones output has a bit lower buzz sound but still. So actually sound coming from video is same buzz sound I heard from both hk and my Dynasty via loudspeakers. Just amplified for better understanding. I remember listening to some TEAC amplifier - there was 0 buzz.
So, the video:
At the moment I can see two different devices that can be both flat (natural-sounding) and have nice phono preamps:
Optonica SM 3636 for 200$ (http://olx.ua/uk/obyavlenie/prodam-usilitel-optonica-sm-3636-IDh6APs.html)
and
Marantz PM 52SE for 140$ (http://olx.ua/uk/obyavlenie/pdsilyuvach-marantz-pm-52se-IDh5euq.html) - this one is funny though. PM 52 version had bass/treble knobs + MM/MC phono stage. This SPECIAL EDITIONS does not have them. What was improved? Or "Special editions for poor/stupid"?
Anyway.
Both have straight RIAA curve, good SNR, Mono buttons. Any advice?

p.s. I will probably later create a separate thread, but just for a moment: If I am looking for a TT to digitize lps with lowest hum/noise possible, is Dual 1219 any good?
 
Anyone? Noone ever heard about this buzzing noise??
I can hear it in 3 out of 4 quality amplifiers!

Today I listened to that Optonica SM 3636.
Good thing - it has zero independent-from-volume-knob buzz and a little of buzz if knob is at max.
Bad thing - instead of having buzz it has a hiss! What's wrong with all these branded amplifiers? Why on most volume-to-zero does not mean "silence"?! Of course hiss is much better than buzz, but I am in doubt whether I should get a trial of this device with my current Siemens loudspeakers and see whether 1) phono is low noise; 2) no problems with regulators; 3) hiss is not hearable unless less than 50 cm to the loudspeaker; 4) headphones output is cool to go; 5) maybe there will be no hiss because problem is in owner's T+A and not in device itself...

Any advise appreciated!
 
For anyone wondering!
At this moment I am choosing between Marantz PM52 Special Edition and Onkyo Integra A-8700.
As Marantz is much cheaper, I think I will go for it. But few days should wait now.
They are the only two ones I tried out of like 20 or 30 that have ~zero buzz or hiss when volume set to 0.
 
Back
Top Bottom