• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

WTF People... GET A LIFE!!!

Dairymen don't get the day off. Cows have to be milked 365 days a year.
Livestock ranchers don't get the day off. The animals have to be fed.
Emergency room doctors and nurses don't get a day off.
Ambulance drivers don't get the day off.
People running the electric generators don't get the day off.
Etc.


Thanksgiving isn't about a day off........:thmbsp::thmbsp:
 
Hope this doesn't come off too harsh, but here goes.

FIRST
You should be THANKFUL you have a job, with so many people unemployed, more and more losing their jobs daily with the current economic crisis.

SECOND
What's wrong with Hard Work? It's what made our country great, it's that can do spirit and attitude to do whatever it takes that got us to where we are today and allowed you to have the freedoms and wealth you enjoy.

GREED, PROFIT TAKING,LACK OF RESPONSIBILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY and SHORT CUTS, have become the American way latley and are responsible for our current situation.

As someone who's been around forever and worked long hard days my whole life and continue to do so, I find that the younger generation though smarter, more worldly, techincally gifted, and more self aware at an earlier age than my generation, most are not willingly to put in the time, effort, or commitment to be successful. They're looking for the quick score or get rich scheme. In life that only happens for a lucky few. Most millionaires get there through hard work and calculated risk taking.

Rant Over

Thanks WB...your "rant" is a truth in my estimation....:yes:
I applaud this kind of candor...
 
You are in IT. That is your job. Be thankful that you are needed.

I don't know if he is "needed", but he is definitely "wanted". Unfortunately, today's world doesn't understand the difference between the two.
What's the downside to wait until tomorrow???
 
sounds like somebody's trying to look good by working on thanksgiving, which shouldn't be your problem.
 
Thanks Andy.. that pretty much describes the situation... There is no down side to waiting. In her e-mail she did say it could wait until Monday IF WE WANTED..
 
I got a job in my early 20's bending pipe and tubing. Worked there for several years then went back to college for a couple years to become a network engineer. After seeing what IT people go through on a routine basis and realizing that getting a job in the field would probably make me hate computers, I decided to Go back in my 40's to the type of work I learned in my 20's. I now bend pipe and tubing for a living. I could be making 100k+ in IT, and make half that now, but I love my job, the kids are all gone, I own my own home and I get weekends and holidays off. Guess the point is, if you aren't happy with what you do and the terms that they require, find something else to do.
 
Guess the point is, if you aren't happy with what you do and the terms that they require, find something else to do.

I am very happy with my job, and actually look forward to helping people out at work. I just don't like being servant to others that believe us people in IT have no lives and are only here to serve them at any moments whim. I guess unless you work in the legal field, it's hard to understand the typical "diva-ness" of the majority. I am very lucky though, and as a whole, this firm isn't that way, but there are a couple that are... this person is one.. and is way too new to be pulling the crap..
 
Dairymen don't get the day off. Cows have to be milked 365 days a year.
Livestock ranchers don't get the day off. The animals have to be fed.
Emergency room doctors and nurses don't get a day off.
Ambulance drivers don't get the day off.
People running the electric generators don't get the day off.
Etc.


Thanksgiving isn't about a day off........:thmbsp::thmbsp:
Hell, let's just scrap all holidays, weekends (or other days off), vacations etc. and work 365 days a year.
And while we're at it why not bump up the hours we work per day?
 
I am an IT guy as well, supporting 40 some small offices in three states and have been on call 24 hours a day since 2002. I feel your pain regarding ill-timed phone calls for support, but also realize that it's my job take it or leave it. When I find myself getting angry, I just work thru the issue with the user and generally feel better for it because I've ultimately helped a person out. Luckily, most people I work with take full advantage of Holiday time away and don't work thru them. This helps me to enjoy my time off too.

Where I'm camped this long weekend (the inlaws) we have no cell coverage so they couldn't reach me if they wanted any way :D....well, there's always email I guess...if I were to check it, but I likely won't.
 
Move to France. Anytime anyone even mentions the word "anniversaire", the whole damn country shuts down for a week.
 
Hell, let's just scrap all holidays, weekends (or other days off), vacations etc. and work 365 days a year.
And while we're at it why not bump up the hours we work per day?


I say hell yeah, and we should all voluntarily request a 50% wage reduction as well.
 
I dunno about you folks, but I guarantee my epitaph will NOT be

"Wish I would have spent more time at the office."

Paid holidays are a benefit and if you don't want yours, fine, but don't f-up mine for a non mission critical ass-kissing adventure.
 
Please believe me. I have no problems taking calls and fixing things and helping others out any other time. I've had to get up and go into the office to replace failed drives in the middle of the night. That is part of the job and comes with the territory. If I had to run in today to replace a drive in the Exchange server, I would do it without one complaint. It's my job....

This is a completely different situation though.... What whoaru said...
 
OK.. yes, you are right. I am VERY thankful I do have job, which I really enjoy, and does pay well. I was probably sounding a little wrong the way I said it...

BUT... There is no mission critical reason a person should be working today, especially a staff member. I talked to some of the attorneys yesterday and all of them said they weren't going to be doing any work today. THey are the ones that do the billing. Not a staff member. No reason she should be working other than the fact she is way too dedicated..

I've worked many years for way too little way to hard, and I am lucky as hell I have gotten to where I am today. Just kinda sucks others don't have enough consideration about having others work on a paid holiday because they have no life evidently.

+1:thmbsp:
 
Hell, let's just scrap all holidays, weekends (or other days off), vacations etc. and work 365 days a year.
And while we're at it why not bump up the hours we work per day?

I forgot. We DESERVE all of that.

I apologize.
 
I dunno about you folks, but I guarantee my epitaph will NOT be

"Wish I would have spent more time at the office."

+1 :thmbsp:

Got off thet horse about 9 years ago. Now I work 40/5 and MAY stay over if I choose upon being asked. Otherwise, I'm out the door as soon as my posted schedule says my shift is over.
 
This thread is taking a predictable course.

The sooner we all stop trying to teach each other a lesson, the better. IMO.
 
Back
Top Bottom