• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

XRT20 Speaker System Restoration (and questions)

w1jim, THANKS!!!!! I'll head to Ace Hardware and procure these.

Guessing those tweeter fuses are fine, it was only the bottom 4 tweeters, and ALL produced sound when amp leads went directly to them. Going to clean all the wiring up, see what it is. Gotta be something simple.

And a big shout out to gmccaughey, who contacted Roger Russell, who actually looked at the listing and commented on the very speakers sitting on my back porch, awaiting their place in my home.

How freaking cool is THAT??
Roger is easily accessibile and enjoys talking audio. He's also a wealth of knowledge on interesting music to enjoy.
 
@DacMan,

I have personally communicated with Winslow Burhoe, and now I've contacted Roger Russell. Both seem very down to earth, and both have my full attention when they discuss the hobby I so adore. Add Richard Vandersteen to that list as well, as he once replied to an email.
 
Roger is a treasure to the community - he assisted with my restoration.

If it's a string with 4 (versus 5) tweeters then I would check the power resistor that is in series with that string.

Why do these have 24 tweeters?
Because 23 is far too few and 25 would be rediculious.
 
@onwardjames. Glad to hear you got these home. I determined blown tweeters by measuring resistance with ohmeter. If I recall most read 5,6 Ohms Blown tweeters show open. I did have an intermittent. I don't recall seeing resistors in circuit for the tweeters in parallel. Maybe just a loose wire at slide on connectors. I'll see if I cans scare up the XRT20 wiring diagram off an old iPad.
 
Last edited:
Thank you, gents, I was troubled about that tweeter bank. But I watched and listened as he connected each one and they came alive.

Cabs on these are polishing up nicely!
 
Surrounds came in today........I've never shimmed, so I'm very concerned about this being my first attempt. Will more than likely just do what has always worked, which is a combination of the battery test and a 30 hz tone.
Thanks w1jim for the schematic. Truly appreciated.
 
Surrounds came in today........I've never shimmed, so I'm very concerned about this being my first attempt. Will more than likely just do what has always worked, which is a combination of the battery test and a 30 hz tone.
Thanks w1jim for the schematic. Truly appreciated.
You've got to be getting excited! Hopefully, you got surrounds with a 3/4" roll like the originals.
 
You've got to be getting excited! Hopefully, you got surrounds with a 3/4" roll like the originals.

Yeah, I'm pretty tore up. Glad I forced myself into doing this. Haven't done a thing since getting them, but this weekend, I'm gonna try and get the surrounds done. As for that roll, I don' t know. Got them from ebay, guy in Nashville I've bought from before, Geoalli or some such. I'll check and see.
 
You've got to be getting excited! Hopefully, you got surrounds with a 3/4" roll like the originals.
You gotta get the 3/4" roll, otherwise it'll affect the bass response. Don't settle for anything less, otherwise you'll be disappointed.
 
Oh man, I can't find it saying 3/4 anywhere on the package. Worry.....

C6Bill, once I get these in the house and start pulling woofers, pics will definitely be forthcoming!

First pic is what I traded + 800 for these. God, it was tough letting go of that beautiful Sansui.

Just looked up my transaction for surrounds. YAAAY! 3/4 surrounds!!!!20170715_082059_001.jpg 20170720_194014.jpg 20170720_194026.jpg 20170720_194222.jpg 20170715_144052.jpg
 
Oh man, I can't find it saying 3/4 anywhere on the package. Worry.....

C6Bill, once I get these in the house and start pulling woofers, pics will definitely be forthcoming!

First pic is what I traded + 800 for these. God, it was tough letting go of that beautiful Sansui.

Just looked up my transaction for surrounds. YAAAY! 3/4 surrounds!!!!View attachment 970892 View attachment 970893 View attachment 970894 View attachment 970895 View attachment 970898
You'll forget about the Sansui within 10 minutes of listening to the XRT20s. You could walk into a Mc dealer today with $20k and not buy better speakers!
 
You could walk into a Mc dealer today with $20k and not buy better speakers!

Whoa.......seriously?

Is it bad I'm already considering the amp I want? I'm seriously considering going on the hunt for a Bryston or some other very serious amplifier. Almost afraid to step into McIntosh's tube world.....
 
Whoa.......seriously?

Is it bad I'm already considering the amp I want? I'm seriously considering going on the hunt for a Bryston or some other very serious amplifier. Almost afraid to step into McIntosh's tube world.....
Yes, seriously. Once you get the drivers resurrounded and verify that everything is working correctly, you'll be in a position to give them a listen. Before doing that, get a hold of a copy of the XRT20 owners manual and follow setup recommendations to the best of your ability. You'll be grinning from ear to ear - even with 5wpc or less.

Once you've got the speakers up and running, we can help you choose other McIntosh components to complement them. I warned you that we're enablers. You'll soon understand why.
 
You'll forget about the Sansui within 10 minutes of listening to the XRT20s. You could walk into a Mc dealer today with $20k and not buy better speakers!

I have to agree with Tony on this. Their age has nothing to do with their SOTA abilities to provide realistic live music sound and true life stage size, complete with vocal and instrument placement. You will forget about their size because singers and the instrument placement is all your mind sees. In many aspects they are way more forgiving to poor recordings than the XR290s I also have. The XRT20s have a warmer smoothness and a bit more relaxed presentation. Mellowed perfection is my description with a bit less edge. Relaxingly captivating.
 
Last edited:
When pair #2 hit our dock in 1979 and I had the chance to set them up I do believe it was one if the only time beer was purchased and the whole crew stayed late that night as we went through all the records we had in the store to listen to again for the first time.

When John McQuire sent me the drape and lighting system for Gordon's Midwest introduction of these speakers we had already settled on Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man to be the correct introduction cut to play for all first demos.

I believe it was a Crystal Clear direct disc recording and when I demo'ed it for Gordon it was a done deal; He bought multiple copies and used them around the world. The selection I believe was fitting because now a common man could in his listening room really project the full dynamics and power of a symphonic work, something in the past was only doable by royalty.
 
Back
Top Bottom