• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha CR-2040 Shorted During DC/Bias/Voltage Adjustment

Beavs

Active Member
Well, I'm pretty new to this and probably have no business digging into the likes of a CR-2040, but this is what I've found to pass the time and I'm enjoying every second of it.

I picked this CR-2040 up for $200 knowing it was cosmetically great aside from being dirty and there was no sound out of the right channel. It arrived and I started the process of figuring out what's going on. Power up on DBT and in STEREO, no sound out of right channel. Switch to MONO and both channels producing sound. Controls and switches are scratchy as expected so I get into it to Deoxit (D5, D100, and F5 per other threads direction depending on switch/pot type). After cleaning, it is sounding pretty good aside from the Presence potentiometer which is either shot or there is other problems in the tone circuit (heavy scratch and popping when turning Presence pot, way worse than prior to cleaning). But so far I'm pretty stoked based on a $200 gamble on this thing.

Desoldered the Presence pot (VR601) and partially pulled the front interior face plate to pull it out and give it its own bath. Soldered it back in and no change from before, so either VR601 is shot or something else in the Tone Control board (POWER C.BOARD(2) per the SM) or elsewhere.

Next step was to go through the Power Section adjustment and Audio Section adjustment from the SM before starting to slowly and carefully try to diagnose this. SM procedure isn't the clearest on this, clear and simple direction found from Merrylander here:
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/dc-offset-for-yamaha-cr-2040.104808/

And now, the depressing part. Even with the clear direction from Merrylander in the thread above, as well as numerous other threads I've read in the past, I have small insulated (mostly but not enough) alligator clip leads that I use for these measurements. Had made it through the Power, DC, and Bias adjustments, then came back through after 5-10 minutes to check again and adjust as needed and made through Power, DC, Bias on Right Channel and then it happened....The cable of one of the DMM probes slipped from where I had it propped up and then pulled the probe off the table pulling the alligator leads with it and shorted the O pin and the -60 pin on the MAIN C.BOARD-R. (been two days, still feel sick to my stomach on this one)

Small smoke plume from the POWER C.BOARD(1) and powered down as quickly as I could. Start inspecting this board closely (seven times now) and all I can visibly see that was toasted and made the plume is the zener diode D909. 10A fuse blew, 3A fuses both still good. Per Merrylander's info from the other linked thread, sounds like the output transistors may have gone as well but no telling just yet.

Before this pin short, I was pretty close to having this up and running with minimal teardown, but just to access the power amp board it's looking like this is going to be a full teardown. If I'm doing that, I'd like to replace any known suspect parts in addition to whatever I have already fried. Hell, if it's all apart, should all electrolytics be replaced? Putting the money into this is well worth it to me.

Pulling apart, testing, soldering, unsoldering is no issue for me....the tracing/diagnosing of the problem and then identification of replacement parts however I'm learning and would appreciate all the help I can get. I pulled the datasheet for this zener diode D909 and then go on Mouser and Digikey and Parts Express to try to find a replacement using values from the datasheet and either I'm left with no item results or ones that don't seem to match other values from the datasheet of the original. Transistors pretty much the same results. Resistors much easier to identify. Capacitors, haven't gone down that road yet...

So here I am with at a bare minimum a fried zener diode D909 and need to figure out where to go from here. Nothing is local for a parts source so online ordering for parts is my only option. The shipping cost and delay in receipt of parts is not ideal, so I would hope to minimize the number of shipments (extra parts is not bad). Thanks in advance to any kind souls that are willing to help out!
 
Register to hide this ad
Many thanks for handing me the fish here, but please teach me how to fish on finding these replacements? I try to stick to the original datasheet's values, or even a close range, and I always end up filtering down to no results....how do you do this? As many times as I've ran across your posts i understand it could almost be off the top of your head and no need to even look at the original data sheet, but for me it is 2 hours of digging and left with no suitable replacement. I'm doing something wrong...

I'll start disassembling tomorrow to pull that board and get pics. Anybody please jump in with tips/tricks/shortcuts for disassembly. I'm fine going it alone too but I'm sure there's some valuable lessons learned from others.
 
I try to stick to the original datasheet's values, or even a close range,
Same here.. Key specs zener voltage range and max power ---- RD6.2EB2 --- 5.99v - 6.24v , 500mw

Go to mouser and use there search filters... Key is to check mark " in stock ". Pretty slim pickens for 6.2 volt @ 500mw @ 1% . So I go to 2% and find the closest match 6.0v -- 6.3v

takes about 10 min. give or take.. Then I am pretty proficient with Mouser and Digikeys online catalog search engines.
 
Last edited:
Might also want to check TR728 and TR730 driver transistors.
 
Same here.. Key specs zener voltage range and max power ---- RD6.2EB2 --- 5.99v - 6.24v , 500mw

Go to mouser and use there search filters... Key is to check mark " in stock ". Pretty slim pickens for 6.2 volt @ 500mw @ 1% . So I go to 2% and find the closest match 6.0v -- 6.3v

takes about 10 min. give or take.. Then I am pretty proficient with Mouser and Digikeys online catalog search engines.
Noted. My mistake is I end up entering too many other values from the datasheet I guess. Your search was basically 4 parameters. I'll keep trying to catch that fish for sure...

Getting the heatsink out with the MAIN C.BOARD-R (output amp board?) was way easier than I assessed at first glance. Pulled it out and got some pics for tonight, will start testing the transistors above tomorrow. I don't see any fried resistors or diodes visually but we'll see what testing says tomorrow.
MAIN C.BOARD-R_1.jpg MAIN C.BOARD-R_2.jpg MAIN C.BOARD-R_3.jpg MAIN C.BOARD-R_4.jpg
 
Okay, looks like two Output Transistors are shot for sure (TR738 and TR732). The Driver Transistors appear to be okay. Emitter Resistors okay, also measured any resistor touching an Emitter leg of the Output or Driver Transistors. Results below for your evaluation:

upload_2021-2-23_12-16-42.png
 
Full image here, looks like that one came through as a thumbnail and I can't get tables to paste:
upload_2021-2-23_12-23-48.pngupload_2021-2-23_12-23-48.png
 
Still doesn't appear to show up as anything but a thumbnail, here's this.

CR-2040 MAIN C.BOARD-R (Output/Driver Transistors)
Pos-Neg EB CB BE BC
PNP Transistors (V)
TR738 0.097 0.097 0.077 0.077
TR736 0.501 0.479 OL OL
TR730 0.576 0.568 OL OL
NPN Transistors (V)
TR734 OL OL 0.499 0.487
TR732 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000
TR728 OL OL 0.560 0.546

EMITTER Resistors
R772 0.5 Ohm
R768 0.5 Ohm
R770 0.5 Ohm
R774 0.5 Ohm
R760 0.961 kOhm
R762 0.961 kOhm
R758 4.7 Ohm
R756 4.7 Ohm
R764 4.7 Ohm
R766 4.7 Ohm
 
Okay, looks like two Output Transistors are shot for sure (TR738 and TR732).
Looks like your going to need a completed set of 4 new outputs... The bad news those outputs are NLA.. But I do believe Sanken MT-200 have the same mounting pattern.
 
Two pairs of outputs will be added to BOM.

Had some time to start pulling the rats nest from an old re-lamp job that was hiding the POWER C.BOARD(1). The zener diode D909 may actually be fine, it's just a different case/visually than D907 and D908 which I was using as a reference for visual inspection to find the source of the smoke plume. Pulled D909 from circuit and measurements were 0.684V then OL when flipping leads. D907 and D908 were similar but still in circuit. Thoughts here?

After removing the rats nest and getting a better viewpoint on this board, TR905 and TR909 had split casings. I pulled the below transistors from circuit and tested with the following results...all the NPN's look fine but the PNP's TR905 and TR909 are fried.

upload_2021-2-23_16-25-45.png

I'm not visually seeing other damage, but would guess that there is probably additional measurements to be taken in that POWER SUPPLY section. Thoughts for other items to inspect/measure? I'm going to start looking for TR905 and TR909 replacements on mouser and fully expect to fail horribly at that part of it...hell, do these need matching NPN's like you do with the Output Transistors?
 
TR905 -- 2SB649 ----> 2SB649: KSA1220A or KSB546Y or TTA004B.
 
Back
Top Bottom