• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha M85 and M80 - any difference??

lixaudio

Active Member
This one for Yamaha experts.
I'm trying to fix Yamaha M85 power amp and only got the service manual for M80. Whatever I check is there. Are there any differences between them?

LIX
 
Register to hide this ad
but seriously folks...

hang on I'm looking for a c-85 service manual. might have one, might not, worth looking...
 
dang, nope, same as you, c-85 manual, c-80 service manual, never the twain shall meet.

although one would think they'd be very similar...
 
I know that the M-40 and M-45 are in order a year appart, and the M-45 is 5W stronger. The M-40 also does not have the LED power meters. Other than that, pretty similar machines.

That could be the case with the M-80/M-85. A small power difference only I'd say and a year appart. But they both have the power meters.

az
 
There's one huge difference. The M-80s were legend for living up to their name and blowing up. The M-85 is vastly more stable.
 
There's one huge difference. The M-80s were legend for living up to their name and blowing up. The M-85 is vastly more stable.

Huh? Must be a California thing, you and SoCal Sam.... ;)

My two 80s have been flawless since they left the factory sometime back in the early or mid-80s.
 
Huh? Must be a California thing, you and SoCal Sam.... ;)

My two 80s have been flawless since they left the factory sometime back in the early or mid-80s.

:lmao:

I do know about SoCalSam dislike for Yamaha but PacificStereo is new to me; thank you for enlightening me:D
 
Last edited:
M-85 has a button to turn off the meter display.

[edit for accuracy] C-80 has "DAD and AUX" where the C-85 has "CD and VIDEO" and flat black v.s. shiny glass over the selection indicators, but I've other "runs" of the C-80 that has "CD and VIDEO" and glass, so go figure. They're updated versions of the same gear.

Internally, they're pretty much identical.

M-80's are older and therefore potentially capable of (though not guaranteed) a higher failure rate if they haven't been serviced. The glue holding the two 1000uf 100V caps on the main board corrodes everything around it and if not attended to, will cause havoc. I have FOUR and only one has ever had any issues and that (slightly weak channel) was corrected by replacing ONE little squiffy cap in the path of destruction of that nasty glue.

Do we really have to have this M-80/overheating Yamaha discussion weekly? Sheesh.
 
Last edited:
Ok guys, thanks.
I was only asking about differences, it wasn't meant to be about overheating and other problems and yes, the M85 on my desk had serious problems because of the glue under the two condensers - corroded everything, lost the ground too. I found only few different resistors values so far and probably strangely added 47R on some transistors. Now I'm waiting new 2SA1169 to come, until then I'll work on some other older pieces.

LIX
 
The glue holding the two 1000uf 100V caps on the main board corrodes everything around it and if not attended to, will cause havoc. I have FOUR and only one has ever had any issues and that (slightly weak channel) was corrected by replacing ONE little squiffy cap in the path of destruction of that nasty glue.


Could somebody please either give a location or post a picture of the two 1000uf 100V caps?
 
I think there's some confusion here... I don't hate Yamaha products at all- I was a factory tech for them, and most of our products were very good!

The M-85 is essentially an M-80 with all the service bulletins and changes applied- whoaru99, it's very possible that you have late-production M-80s, which would be fine.

My initial comment wasn't intended to ignite some new controversy- was more of just a passing thought.
 
Thanks Pacific Stereo, M80 with changes applied, that would make sense.
For Lastplace and other courious - the two 1000uF condensers are the two in the centre of the main pcb. You can see the photo of the pcb before cleaning and without the two condensers.

LIX
 

Attachments

  • m85macro.jpg
    m85macro.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 172
I think there's some confusion here... I don't hate Yamaha products at all- I was a factory tech for them, and most of our products were very good!

The M-85 is essentially an M-80 with all the service bulletins and changes applied- whoaru99, it's very possible that you have late-production M-80s, which would be fine.

My initial comment wasn't intended to ignite some new controversy- was more of just a passing thought.


Damn... That argument was put to bed quickly.:thmbsp:
 
Yup, that's the culprit. One of those 220pf 6.3V caps right there was also the squiffy one that dropped one channel output about half. I replaced those also, a few zeners in that area and a couple of those 1/8w resistors and a 3.9K 2w(?) nearby. I also de-soldered the ground busbar there and polished it up, coated with lacquer and re-installed it. Sings like a champ now again.
 
I think there's some confusion here... I don't hate Yamaha products at all- I was a factory tech for them, and most of our products were very good!

The M-85 is essentially an M-80 with all the service bulletins and changes applied- whoaru99, it's very possible that you have late-production M-80s, which would be fine.

My initial comment wasn't intended to ignite some new controversy- was more of just a passing thought.

What are said SB'? Curious minds want to know.
 
Back
Top Bottom