• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Your favorite "little" receiver ever?

Actually I had posted an answer but it doesn't seem to have gotten through so here goes again. The 201 is part of a rotation I use in the bedroom system. The amps range from a 13 watts per channel small tube amp to 55 watts per channel on a Rogue Audio Cronus. You would want to have a fairly efficient speaker for the 201. The speakers I have for that are Monitor Audio Bronze 2's. I think they come in at 90 dB 1W@1M. I think they may have discontinued this model but they have probably come out with something equivalent or you might be able to find some good closeout sales on them. Ironically I had originally gone to the store to audition the Silver 2's but liked the Bronzes better. They seemed to have a more even balance across the spectrum. Klipsch speakers are also known to be pretty efficient. They get a lot of love or hate reactions from people. Luckily they are widely distributed so any local Best Buy should have them. There are usually a lot of best speakers under $x.xx review's either online or on You tube. I think Steve Guttenberg (another receiver of love/hate opinions) has a video on this subject. My 201 has never, to my knowledge, been worked on. I just cleaned it up & de-oxited the pots. A freshly serviced one should sound really special. Hope this helps.
 
Last edited:
My favorite lower powered receiver would have to be my mint McIntosh 1700. Mostly because it's a MAC and because I got it for less than ten dollars! It Sounds good too!
 
Mine isn't so little, but the GX6ESII I've been using the past few years has been a great unit... Only thing that'd make it better would've been if Sony had included the direct tuning feature of the non-ES units from 1989 or so. Came in handy for AM DXing at night...
 
Don't know if it's a favorite, but I restored a throwaway Marantz 2215 and use it as my bedroom radio receiver. Works like a harm. In that setting, the 15wpc is way more than enough.
 
It would have to be the h/k 330c. A 20 WPC gem that gets things just right. Moving up into the 30WPC range, it would be the Marantz 2230.

Yeah, the HK 330.whatever will blow your ears off. I also like my Pioneer sx 770. Not known for power, but what a sweet sound with a tiny amp board.
 
The only recevier i have right now, Pioneer Reverberation SX-9000. From 1971 to 1973. 50 wpc. Flip down door across the bottom face to view contrals not adjusted as often, and center channel output on back panel. :music:

Hmmm, don't know how this beast wound up on this thread, but just discussing this rcvr with my brother this morning. I would consider this one a motl rcvr.
 

Attachments

  • 16114397451651596458070.jpg
    16114397451651596458070.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 20
I just picked up this JCPenny MCS 3230 (Arvin built). It was about one up from the bottom of the line. It has plastic knobs (cant tell from a distance) and is pretty lightweight. But the dumb little thing with it's 30 wpc is a really sweet sounding little unit. This example is in superb condition and I am sure that helps but it is running my funky Realistic Optimus 27s like a freaking champ.

20210113_170504.jpg 20210113_170441.jpg 20210113_170610.jpg 20210113_145722.jpg 20210113_115646.jpg 20210113_122901.jpg 20210113_123400.jpg
 
Very nice vintage equipement. I've never seen a Realistic CD-Player. Do you know who produced it?
I know Philips made some of them. I have a Realistic 6 disc cartridge changer that has had heavy use since new. It just won't die and sounds good. It was made by Philips and also branded Realistic, Marantz, and Magnavox. I use it in my bench system now.
20210123_173122.jpg
 
Sherwood S-7200, Philips 785, HK 330C, even the lowly Fisher 190B sounds good in the workroom setup that apparently does not need much power. Actually some of the lower powered ones in the collection are some of my favorites. Really like the FM stereo sound out of the Sherwood, Philips in the same ballpark. Working on the 785 realized the amp design seemed familiar, sure enough looking at the schematics of other receiver/amps I had worked on it looked like it had a lot of similarities to the older Sherwood design.
 
Back
Top Bottom