• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Your favorite rock drummers?

re: Rock Drummers

I have been listening to way to much live LZ of late, especially dates recorded during the 1975 world tour. Gotta say, Bonzo was , um, pretty darned good. Still can't listen to "Over The Top" or (especially) "Moby Dick. Just sayin'.
 
Phil Collins should have stayed a drummer, instead of putting out all of that pop garbage! Seconds Out stands as proof!
 
I have a question

Why is it that a person can come into a thread and call a human being names, or criticize their work without anyone batting an eyelash - but if you are critical or skeptical of someones choice of speaker cable, all hell breaks loose?

It's not that big of a deal, and I'm not trying to start any crap here, but I am genuinely curious.

I like Bernard Purdie.
 
Why is it that a person can come into a thread and call a human being names, or criticize their work without anyone batting an eyelash - but if you are critical or skeptical of someones choice of speaker cable, all hell breaks loose?

It's not that big of a deal, and I'm not trying to start any crap here, but I am genuinely curious.

I like Bernard Purdie.

Was it Purdie that was called names? I'm not sure what you're talking about but I can answer your question. When it comes to celebrities they are considered open season, within reasonable limits. They put themselves out there and are considered privileged enough that they deserve almost anything that comes their way, right or wrong. Not saying I agree with that all the time, but there you are.
 
Was it Purdie that was called names? I'm not sure what you're talking about but I can answer your question. When it comes to celebrities they are considered open season, within reasonable limits. They put themselves out there and are considered privileged enough that they deserve almost anything that comes their way, right or wrong. Not saying I agree with that all the time, but there you are.

Ok.

Did you check out the Thomas Lang link? Pretty impressive.
 
Whoops! I left out one of my favorites, Corky Laing of "Mountain" and "West, Bruce and Laing."

"This record was meant to be played LOUD!"

Statement found on the back of Mountain's "Climbing" Album. :D :guitar:
 
Peart is great but my personal choice would be John Bonham.
He could play the Bass Drum like no other. The other day, I
listened to Moby Dick off of How the west was won and was
thoroughly entertained by those thunderous vintage Ludwig
drums and my woofers enjoyed the workout.
 
I read a story a long time ago, John Lennon talking to Jim Keltner I believe, in an almost apologetic way saying telling Jim he's an awesome drummer but his first choice to man the drums for his music would always be Ringo.

If anyone gets a chance, check out Jason Bonham if you're able when he's touring with whoever he happens to be playing with. A few years ago I got to hear him playing for UFO, and at the same time he was also the drummer for Foreigner. Talk about being taught by the best from the time you were born!
 
I read a story a long time ago, John Lennon talking to Jim Keltner I believe, in an almost apologetic way saying telling Jim he's an awesome drummer but his first choice to man the drums for his music would always be Ringo.

I remember a different Lennon quote, regarding drummers.

When asked if he thought Ringo was the best drummer in the world. He replied, "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."
(I added the emphasis.)
 
well, how come Ringo was never invited to play in John Lenon's bands...I think Alan White was his favourite at the time at least.
 
"Very underrated" list:
Anton Fig "The Thunder from Down Under"
Simon Phillips
Barriemore Barlow
Peter Erskine
Carter Beauford
Mike Shrieve
Dan Gottlieb
Ritchie Hayward
Steve Gadd
Butch Trucks / Jai Johanny Johanson
Jamie Oldaker
 
Funny that you should bring up Laing, he was my #1 underrated drummer in the very first post of this thread! :thmbsp: Good choice, glad to see there's other fans out there. He's an amusing writer too, his liner notes in some of their albums are pretty good. The opener of "Love is Worth the Blues", hell yeah! :music:

Whoops! I left out one of my favorites, Corky Laing of "Mountain" and "West, Bruce and Laing."

"This record was meant to be played LOUD!"

Statement found on the back of Mountain's "Climbing" Album. :D :guitar:
 
I'll also expand this to include drummers you think are underrated, unknown, etc. I'll go ahead and nominate Neil Peart as the best of the best. Unmatched speed, power, and creativity. Not to mention the drum kit. He's followed closely by John Bonham, Keith Moon, and Mitch Mitchell on my list. My #1 underrated drummer is Corky Laing from Mountain and West, Bruce, and Laing. Too bad these bands didn't hit it big (Mountain did for about a year), they were pretty talented. I love starting controversial threads. Have fun! :thmbsp: :music:

'Nuff Said !
 
Back
Top Bottom