• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Your Favorite Underrated Bands and/or Artists

The Dixie Dregs comes to mind. Amazing musical chops but maybe there's limited appeal for a band that only had one album with any type of vocals. Steve Morse is one of my guitar favorites, he plays well against their electric violinist And the are driven by a top-notch rhythm section.
 
The FLOCK. They were out of Chicago. I guess you could compare them to the band CHICAGO, with the exception they were not CHICAGO.
 
Two of my all time favorites are Wiggy Bits, Lucifer's Friend and for our Canadian friends Prism. All great get up and get with it Rock and Roll
 
Wow! There's been a lot more replies than I expected! I was hoping to check out most of the bands that you guys mentioned today, but there's just too many!
 
Gerry Rafferty - did some real nice albums, 'City to City', 'Night Owl', 'Sleepwalking'...
I totally agree. City to City is an awesome album. I would add to the list, Levon Helm. His stuff after The Band is incredible, but I think often overlooked. Check out "Levon Helm and the RCO All Stars", "Ramble at the Ryman", or "Dirt Farmer".

Another of my under the radar favorites is Webb Wilder.
 
Last edited:
The Dixie Dregs comes to mind. Amazing musical chops but maybe there's limited appeal for a band that only had one album with any type of vocals. Steve Morse is one of my guitar favorites, he plays well against their electric violinist And the are driven by a top-notch rhythm section.

Certainly not underrated by those in the know, but surprisingly obscure even @ the height of their (relative) fame. Not the most accessible ensemble from a musical standpoint either, so that didn't "help" them to achieve worldwide fame. But folks w/ an interest in (dixie?) fusion, jazz, Prog, and blistering geetar (a very young Steve Morse reigned supreme) knew 'em n loved 'em.
 
For the most part, talent and success do not go hand in hand. Good artists who are highly acclaimed are rare these days. Most of our tastes venture outside the mainstream as well, so what we like is probably not what your neighbor wants to listen to.
I will throw one out, since I went to see them play and was the only one there. Around midnight a couple other guys walked in.

 
Seconded. Been listening to A LOT of BJM of late and they were (are?) brilliant musicians, writers, and arrangers. Love their work.
It's pretty well a one man show. Some of their earlier stuff was written by other band members, but not for a long time (I think). To be honest they kinda lost me around "My Bloody Underground" and "Who Killed Sgt. Pepper?". I've been listening to the newer stuff, and it's really solid.
 
Back
Top Bottom