• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Z19 Crossover

Hey Guys - please keep posting.
I just updated the crossovers in a set of Valencia (Heathkit 101) to stock.
Old caps had drifted alot. Huge difference in sound.

Next step is going to be this upgrade. Took me a few weeks to find such good documentation. Thanks to everyone and Zilch especially. I nearly gave the whole thing up until I came across a keep on trying post from Zilch.

I am aquiring parts now (have most of the values for the Caps -) need resistors and chokes and a pair of L pads.

I am also adding to the drawing of Zilchs as new comments bring to light how to hook up and clear up any confusion.
 
:( Zilch is no longer with us. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=350053

But I think his whole Z19 design can be summed up with these images:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Z1920Board20Layout1.jpg

attachment.php
 
Last edited:
Can anyone advise whether the Z19 could be adapted for use with other Altec systems but with a lower crossover? Specifically for use with a crossover at 500 for 288 or 299 with a horn that goes lower like an 805B.

Thanks for the help
 
Good question, but one that, unfortunately, probably can't be answered without a good bit of testing and re-design work. The CONCEPT could obviously work... but the values would have to be re-worked to do lower crossover points...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Thanks Gordon. I was thinking about this crossover for the 2235 project I have contacted you about.

And I guess this is as good of a point as any to honestly admit that I really don't understand Zilch's design approach. I know it's not just a few notch filters for just one driver. It sounds like it's creating an equalization curve/profile that can be adjusted both in the shape of the curve and the amount of compensation. Kind of like CD compensation built into some active crossovers - but with ability to adjust more.

Is this right? Thanks again.
 
Last edited:
WOW.. I can't believe this thread has been around as long as it has, and I haven't seen it until now... I just spent the last hour reading through it...

For those that were asking about other applications than Altec, I am WAY beyond happy with it in my barziwaves. Way back when, when I was designing my project, I asked Zilch about crossovers, and he suggested I try this... It was a large risk price wise for something I had no clue about, and he was just taking an educated guess it might work.

I am using mine on BMS 4555 drivers and AE's TD15M woofers, using the original design values... it was SPOT ON for my application... I can't stress enough, that if you are using higher end drivers for a 2 way build, this crossover is well worth considering, and tweaking to suit your needs.

I just wish I had a way to actually measure mine, but no one in this area is set up for measuring that I know of..

Anyway, here's mine that I built about a year ago..

attachment.php


Here's the final mounting and wiring..

attachment.php
 
Last edited:
Thanks. They turned out to be some pretty spectacular sounding speakers, and capable of intense ultra clean SPL levels..
 
I think Zilch's idea was to improve on the stock Altec Model 19 crossover, which had a form of such two-curve variable equalization. You can find a thread somewhere, where Zilch first started musing about the stock Model 19 design and wondered how it performed and how he could improve it. Ah, here it is:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...wrong.../page2 (Scroll down to post 26.)

History in the making ...

Thanks Zonker, that post is a keeper - I've marked and printed it for multiple readings - it brings me a lot closer to understanding. Great of Zilch to stop and explain it for us mere mortals. (By the way I think it was post #46)

SR
 
You might want to take a look at another of Z's designs

Here This crossover was made for the 2235.

Thanks Gordon. I was thinking about this crossover for the 2235 project I have contacted you about.

And I guess this is as good of a point as any to honestly admit that I really don't understand Zilch's design approach. I know it's not just a few notch filters for just one driver. It sounds like it's creating an equalization curve/profile that can be adjusted both in the shape of the curve and the amount of compensation. Kind of like CD compensation built into some active crossovers - but with ability to adjust more.

Is this right? Thanks again.
 
Thanks Zonker, that post is a keeper - I've marked and printed it for multiple readings - it brings me a lot closer to understanding. Great of Zilch to stop and explain it for us mere mortals. (By the way I think it was post #46)

SR

I can't get that link for some reason but I certainly would like to hear about how the Z19 was developed.
I'm still amazed at how good my M19's sound.
 
What's the consensus on using a Z19 with the 2235H?

I know JBL doesn't recommend crossing that woofer over any higher than 1000hz, but the graphs for it don't look too much worse 1000-1200hz than they do for 800-1000hz.

Will the Z19's 1.2K crossover point be pushing it? Should I use Zilch's 4430 crossover interpretation instead?
 
Last edited:
What's the consensus on using a Z19 with the 2235H?

I know JBL doesn't recommend crossing that woofer over any higher than 1000hz, but the graphs for it don't look too much worse 1000-1200hz than they do for 800-1000hz.

Will the Z19's 1.2K crossover point be pushing it? Should I use Zilch's 4430 crossover interpretation instead?

A couple folks have used the 2235 in ewaves witha 1600 Hz XO. Never heard them myself but they seem happy. I

I would look at the 4430 XO (what is XO point?) to at least see what was done for the LF XO section since the Z19 was designed for a particular Altec woofer. Of course the closer you get to cloning a 4430 instead of the Altec 19, the more I would look at the 4430.
 
Back
Top Bottom